Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2020, 09:42 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,886,517 times

Advertisements

Today’s Questions:
Where did you go on your last out of town trip? Several weeks ago we went to Tubac (south of Tucson) with some home town friends that were visiting in AZ. We spend the day enjoying the arts and crafts from the area there.

What fond childhood memories do you have of home cooked meals? Mom was always able to make any meal from a little of nothing. Most meals were Hungarian or Polish dishes.

What was the last movie you saw? The Perfect Liar – a great movie that we just rents last night and watched, it’s about two elderly in England whose lives have crossed again. Very good acting and an excellent story line. It’s a must see movie.

Have you ever used an e-reader such as Kindle or Nook? No

What was your first job like? I did a number of jobs after school and during the summer, mostly grocery store work or restaurant busboy. Wow you don’t see many busboys anymore. I was a cashier for a while and then went into the service after high school.

Have you ever been locked out of your house or car? Yes How did you get back in? called a friend who knew just how to get the car door opened.

Will you be watching the Academy Awards? No
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2020, 09:54 AM

38,900 posts, read 22,885,731 times
Today’s Questions:
Where did you go on your last out of town trip? Austin, Texas

What was the mascot of your high school or college? Don (Spanish nobleman)

What fond childhood memories do you have of home cooked meals? Both my parents were really good cooks.

What was the last movie you saw? Not sure. It's been a while.

Have you ever used an e-reader such as Kindle or Nook? Yes, I use a Kindle to read books nowadays. I prefer it to hardcopy books.

What was your first job like? It wasn't bad. I worked as a clerk at my community college while I attended school.

Have you ever been locked out of your house or car? How did you get back in? Not recently.

Today in History

1971 – A 6.5 magnitudeearthquake strikes the Sylmar area of greater Los Angeles, killing 64 and injuring 2,000. I still vividly remember this earthquake. It was scary!

Have a fun day Sunday!

Old 02-09-2020, 10:39 AM

4,041 posts, read 2,909,100 times
Where did you go on your last out of town trip? === Orange County, CA.

What was the mascot of your high school or college? === Schools in New Zealand don't have mascots.

What fond childhood memories do you have of home cooked meals? === Sunday roast dinners.

What was the last movie you saw? === Mary Poppins Returns with the grandkids.

Have you ever used an e-reader such as Kindle or Nook? === I have one loaded on my tablet but I don't use it.

What was your first job like? === Love it! Worked in a department store when school was out. Initially on the showroom floor and then in the office.

Have you ever been locked out of your house or car? How did you get back in? === Just the house. I have a spare key hidden on the property, so eventually retrieved it and let myself back into the house.

Will you be watching the Academy Awards? === Probably not.

Thanks B4!

Old 02-09-2020, 10:59 AM

24,474 posts, read 26,008,272 times
Today’s Questions:
Where did you go on your last out of town trip?
Riverside for a DR appt.

What was the mascot of your high school or college?
Peter Pilot.

What fond childhood memories do you have of home cooked meals?
Lots of Italian meals, casseroles, scalloped potatoes. All good stuff.

What was the last movie you saw?
Green Zone

Have you ever used an e-reader such as Kindle or Nook?
No

What was your first job like?
Other than delivering papers, working part time doing odd jobs in a jewelry store.

Have you ever been locked out of your house or car? How did you get back in?
The car once at a little league baseball game. Friend had a Slim Jim.

Will you be watching the Academy Awards?
Doubtful

Thanx Bayarea4.

Old 02-09-2020, 11:01 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
[quote=Bayarea4;57293764]Welcome to Questions of the Day for Sunday, February 9, 2020. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Aquarius. Some famous people born on this date include actor Joe Pesci, actress Mia Farrow; singer-songwriters Carole King and Travis Tritt; journalist Roger Mudd, former US Secretary of State Dean Rusk, entertainers Gypsy Rose Lee and Carmen Miranda; author Alice Walker, composer Alban Berg and William Henry Harrison, ninth president of the United States.

Today’s Questions:
To a town called Volo and the antique barn and auto museum yesterday. It was a lot of fun seeing hundreds and hundreds of vintage cars, bikes, camper tailors, and snow mobiles. There was several Shelby Mustangs and 60's Camaros for sale.
I don't remember either.
My mother cook? We looked forward to turkey but it was always so dry.
Jo Jo Rabbit last week.
Nope.
It was a paper route when I was around 12 I think.
House, yes, car no. Our neighbors have a key and we have one in a super secret hiding place.
Maybe some of it.
Today in History
1775 – American Revolutionary War: The British Parliament declares Massachusetts in rebellion.
1825 - After no candidate receives a majority of votes in the Electoral College in the presidential election of 1824, the United States House of Representatives elects John Quincy Adams as President of the United States.
1861 – American Civil War: Jefferson Davis is elected the Provisional President of the Confederate States of America by the Confederate convention at Montgomery, Alabama.
1870 – US president Ulysses S. Grant signs a joint resolution of Congress establishing the U.S. Weather Bureau.
1889 – US president Grover Cleveland signs a bill elevating the United States Department of Agriculture to a Cabinet-level agency.
1895 – William G. Morgan creates a game called Mintonette, which soon comes to be referred to as volleyball.
1913 – A group of meteors is visible across much of the eastern seaboard of North and South America, leading astronomers to conclude the source had been a small, short-lived natural satellite of the Earth.
1942 – World War II: Top United States military leaders hold their first formal meeting to discuss American military strategy in the war.
1942 – Year-round Daylight Saving Time (aka War Time) is re-instated in the United States as a wartime measure to help conserve energy resources.
1943 – World War II: Allied authorities declare Guadalcanal secure after Imperial Japan evacuates its remaining forces from the island, ending the Battle of Guadalcanal.
1950 – Second Red Scare: US Senator Joseph McCarthy accuses the United States Department of State of being infiltrated by Communists.
1959 – The R-7 Semyorka, the first intercontinental ballistic missile, becomes operational at Plesetsk, USSR.
1964 – The Beatles make their first appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show, performing before a "record-busting" audience of 73 million viewers across the USA.
1965 – The United States Marine Corps sends a MIM-23 Hawk missile battalion to South Vietnam, the first American troops in-country without an official advisory or training mission.
1971 – A 6.5 magnitudeearthquake strikes the Sylmar area of greater Los Angeles, killing 64 and injuring 2,000.
1971 – Satchel Paige becomes the first Negro League player to be voted into the USA's Baseball Hall of Fame.
1971 – Apollo program: Apollo 14 returns to Earth after the third manned Moon landing.
1986 – Halley's Comet last appears in the inner Solar System.
1996 – Copernicium, a highly radioactive synthetic element that can only be produced in a laboratory, is discovered by Sigurd Hofmann, Victor Ninov et al.
2018 – Winter Olympics opening ceremony is held in Pyeongchang County, South Korea.

Word of the Day:
detritus \ di-‘trī-təs \ noun
1. geology : loose material (such as rock fragments or organic particles) that results directly from disintegration.
2. a. a product of disintegration, destruction, or wearing away. b. :miscellaneous remnants; odds and ends

Today’s Quote:
“What the mind doesn’t understand, it worships or fears.”
- Alice Walker

Today Is:
National Pizza Day
Oscar Night
Toothache Day

Thanks Bay. It's snowing I see a long walk in my future today.

Old 02-10-2020, 01:43 AM

21,547 posts, read 8,727,966 times
Today’s Questions:
I just got back from Fairfield, which is about 50 miles from here.
High school: Bruins
College: Spartans
My stepmother was Italian-American, and most Sundays we had a big pot of home cooked spaghetti for dinner. The aroma of the sauce simmering all day on the stove was wonderful.
In a theater? That movie about the aquatic creature captured by scientists who is befriended by a mute woman. I can't remember the name.
On TV, I am watching the 1953 version of "Julius Caesar" right now.
No, I haven't.
I worked as a clerk-typist in a small, family-owned offset printing shop for the munificent sum of $285 a month.
Yes, I got locked out of our house shortly after we bought it but before escrow had closed, so I didn't have the key yet. The real estate agent had let me in to take some pictures and measurements. Then he left. When I left, I locked the front door behind me. But what I didn't realize is that the front gate was locked, too, and you needed a key to open it even from the inside. So there I was, trapped like a rat in a cage. There were no cell phones then, so I had no way to call for help. I finally got out by squeezing through the window grate.
Yes, I went to an Oscar party at a friend's house. I hadn't seen any of this year's nominated films, but it was still fun.

Thanks to everyone who participated.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:18 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,796,420 times
Welcome to Questions of the Day for Sunday, February 9, 2020. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Aquarius. Some famous people born on this date include actor Joe Pesci, actress Mia Farrow; singer-songwriters Carole King and Travis Tritt; journalist Roger Mudd, former US Secretary of State Dean Rusk, entertainers Gypsy Rose Lee and Carmen Miranda; author Alice Walker, composer Alban Berg and William Henry Harrison, ninth president of the United States.

Today’s Questions:
To Asheboro, NC
Mariner, high school

Well it was a stark contrast between the two sides of my family, one side ate healthy and the other didn't. Since I was bounced around back and forth between families I had a variety of different food. Fried fish, oysters, clams, shrimp, scallops, collards, homegrown field peas, crowder peas, corn on the cob, black-eye peas, eggplant, butternut squash etc. and most of it cooked the worst way you can cook with lots of fat/butter/grease. From the other side it was pretty bland with baked chicken, leg of lamb (which I don't care for) baked everything really and bland vegetables. I lived on the coast in NC ergo all the seafood, my Mom's family were from New Jersey so there was quite a culture difference.

The newest Terminator movie, "Dark Fate"

no never have

It was fun for me, I think it's where I developed the desire to have my own business years later. I worked at a small department store that sold a little of everything and even had a candy counter. I didn't work there long and my memory of it is a little fuzzy because I was only 15 but I thought it was so neat to organize and sell stuff. I didn't own a dept. store but I did sell a little of everything, clothes, decorations, antique furniture, tchotchkes, paintings/pictures, perfumes/powders, jewelry, Christmas decorations etc.

yeah both. I had to go to a neighbor's house to call someone to unlock my Jeep because I had accidentally locked my purse, keys and extra key inside. Then I locked myself out of the house one time and had to catch a ride with the same neighbor to my Mother's to get her key to my house.

No I didn't watch that dog and pony show

Today in History
1775 – American Revolutionary War: The British Parliament declares Massachusetts in rebellion.
1825 - After no candidate receives a majority of votes in the Electoral College in the presidential election of 1824, the United States House of Representatives elects John Quincy Adams as President of the United States.
1861 – American Civil War: Jefferson Davis is elected the Provisional President of the Confederate States of America by the Confederate convention at Montgomery, Alabama.
1870 – US president Ulysses S. Grant signs a joint resolution of Congress establishing the U.S. Weather Bureau.
1889 – US president Grover Cleveland signs a bill elevating the United States Department of Agriculture to a Cabinet-level agency.
1895 – William G. Morgan creates a game called Mintonette, which soon comes to be referred to as volleyball.
1913 – A group of meteors is visible across much of the eastern seaboard of North and South America, leading astronomers to conclude the source had been a small, short-lived natural satellite of the Earth.
1942 – World War II: Top United States military leaders hold their first formal meeting to discuss American military strategy in the war.
1942 – Year-round Daylight Saving Time (aka War Time) is re-instated in the United States as a wartime measure to help conserve energy resources.
1943 – World War II: Allied authorities declare Guadalcanal secure after Imperial Japan evacuates its remaining forces from the island, ending the Battle of Guadalcanal.
1950 – Second Red Scare: US Senator Joseph McCarthy accuses the United States Department of State of being infiltrated by Communists.
1959 – The R-7 Semyorka, the first intercontinental ballistic missile, becomes operational at Plesetsk, USSR.
1964 – The Beatles make their first appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show, performing before a "record-busting" audience of 73 million viewers across the USA.
1965 – The United States Marine Corps sends a MIM-23 Hawk missile battalion to South Vietnam, the first American troops in-country without an official advisory or training mission.
1971 – A 6.5 magnitudeearthquake strikes the Sylmar area of greater Los Angeles, killing 64 and injuring 2,000.
1971 – Satchel Paige becomes the first Negro League player to be voted into the USA's Baseball Hall of Fame.
1971 – Apollo program: Apollo 14 returns to Earth after the third manned Moon landing.
1986 – Halley's Comet last appears in the inner Solar System.
1996 – Copernicium, a highly radioactive synthetic element that can only be produced in a laboratory, is discovered by Sigurd Hofmann, Victor Ninov et al.
2018 – Winter Olympics opening ceremony is held in Pyeongchang County, South Korea.

Word of the Day:
detritus \ di-‘trī-təs \ noun
1. geology : loose material (such as rock fragments or organic particles) that results directly from disintegration.
2. a. a product of disintegration, destruction, or wearing away. b. :miscellaneous remnants; odds and ends

Today’s Quote:
“What the mind doesn’t understand, it worships or fears.”
- Alice Walker

Today Is:
National Pizza Day
Oscar Night
Toothache Day

Thanks Bay!

Old 02-10-2020, 08:55 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Today’s Questions:
Where did you go on your last out of town trip? Oregon Coast

What was the mascot of your high school or college? HS Husky; Uni Wildcat

What fond childhood memories do you have of home cooked meals? My mom cooked big Thanksgiving and Christmas meals. There was much traditional food, and usually good dessert. This was not the norm, however. Mom taught school, and tended to be tired after work. Meals were OK but generally not fabulous.

What was the last movie you saw?Some old thing on TCM

Have you ever used an e-reader such as Kindle or Nook? Kindle

What was your first job like? Learning experience.

Have you ever been locked out of your house or car? How did you get back in? Yes. I had to go to neighbor's in pjs in order to call a locksmith.

Will you be watching the Academy Awards? Did not watch.

Old 02-15-2020, 07:05 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,005,092 times
Welcome to Questions of the Day for Sunday, February 9, 2020. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Aquarius. Some famous people born on this date include actor Joe Pesci, actress Mia Farrow; singer-songwriters Carole King and Travis Tritt; journalist Roger Mudd, former US Secretary of State Dean Rusk, entertainers Gypsy Rose Lee and Carmen Miranda; author Alice Walker, composer Alban Berg and William Henry Harrison, ninth president of the United States.

Today’s Questions:
Been a couple months. Drove up the Columbia River Gorge about 50 miles.

High school was a wolf. College was either a bobcat or a mug of cheap beer. Can't remember.

I come from a family of really good cooks. During the holidays many a great feast was prepared.

On TV I watched Mother Goose with Cary Grant.

No

I was 12. The job violated just about every child labor law ever written. I worked in a general store. The owner would often leave me by myself to run it. At lunch time I would go to the owners lodge for lunch. While wait for my lunch I would stock the beer coolers in the bar. The same owner also owned the power plant. Once in a while I would work there degreasing the generators.

I once locked my keys in the car. I called dad and had him bring me a spare key. Just before he arrived I noticed that the passenger side door was not locked. I hurried up and locked it before my dad arrived.

I really wanted to but they were on at the same time as the paint drying championship

Old 02-15-2020, 09:37 PM

14,108 posts, read 2,774,571 times
Today’s Questions:
Where did you go on your last out of town trip? Niles, Michigan in October

What was the mascot of your high school or college? Lancer

What fond childhood memories do you have of home cooked meals? My Grandma Freda making homemade bread and everything else from scratch.

What was the last movie you saw? Toy Story 4

Have you ever used an e-reader such as Kindle or Nook? No

What was your first job like? A bus girl, I was 11

Have you ever been locked out of your house or car? How did you get back in? Which time? Lol

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics