Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2020, 12:46 PM

3,072 posts, read 1,682,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
The only thing catching is fun. Sorry. Anyway here are . . .

Today's Question(s):
As you've likely heard people have come back from overseas where there's a scare about a virus outbreak.
The US government has taken the unusual step of quarantining travelers from affected areas for 2 weeks at military bases in
motel type buildings with meals provided and free healthcare while there. Travelers just can't leave for 14 days.
--
Just for grins, how would you react/feel if an unexpected turn of events at some time caused you to be quarantined? If it meant saving my life then I would be okay with 14 days. I usually take an extra two weeks of meds with me when I travel. More than that, I'd panic.

Bonus "Day-Off" Section:
If you're retired, think back to your days of employment and education.
-
Believe it or not this is from a recent poll: have you ever called out from work because you had a bad hair day? Nope

Any other unusual reasons or odd excuses you've heard for missing work or school? Odd? My boss laughed when I called during a vacation to tell her that we had car trouble and I wouldn't be back right away. Thing is, it was true.

Heard of anyone who went out on a sick day and someone saw them, or any other way
someone was 'busted' taking a sick day when they weren't? It never happened to me. But a co-worker thought she saw another (absent) co-worker getting a make-over at Nordstrom's that evening. She didn't know that the woman had a twin sister.

Foodie/Beverage Question(s):
Sick or well, can you name any food(s) easy to eat in bed? Bananas, peeled boiled eggs.

Just To:
Things that need refurbishing or replacing include: Carpets, linoleum, roofs (have to replace ours soon).

Today's Dumb Joke:
What did the diner say when a rabbit ate from his bowl?
Answer: Waiter, there's a hare in my soup.

Have a healthy, happy Thursday!
Thanks, BJH!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2020, 01:52 PM

7,991 posts, read 5,387,812 times
Hi Hi

Today's Question(s):
As you've likely heard people have come back from overseas where there's a scare about a virus outbreak.
The US government has taken the unusual step of quarantining travelers from affected areas for 2 weeks at military bases in
motel type buildings with meals provided and free healthcare while there. Travelers just can't leave for 14 days.
--
Just for grins, how would you react/feel if an unexpected turn of events at some time caused you to be quarantined? 14 days--I would be bored out of my wits! (We played Pandemic over Christmas--pretty interesting game it is based on the premise that four diseases have broken out in the world, each threatening to wipe out a region. ..)

Bonus "Day-Off" Section:
-
Believe it or not this is from a recent poll: have you ever called out from work because you had a bad hair day? Nope--I have never been a habitual caller outer. I think the last time was two or so years ago--our streets were covered in ice.

Any other unusual reasons or odd excuses you've heard for missing work or school?

Heard of anyone who went out on a sick day and someone saw them, or any other way
someone was 'busted' taking a sick day when they weren't? That is a pretty dangerous game to play for the Company I work for...

Sick or well, can you name any food(s) easy to eat in bed? No, no, no eating in bed!

Just To:
Things that need refurbishing or replacing include: My sofa/chair needed to be replaced.

*yawns* pretty sleepy, have a wonderful evening!

Old 02-13-2020, 02:21 PM

9,724 posts, read 14,264,687 times
Just for grins, how would you react/feel if an unexpected turn of events at some time caused you to be quarantined? I wouldn't be able to stand it. I'm not good with closed-in areas and/or crowds.

Bonus "Day-Off" Section:
If you're retired, think back to your days of employment and education. I'm not retired and am 79 yrs. old. I absolutely love what I do, work from home, make my own schedule and thrive on taking classes to maintain my professional licenses. Before I was 42 years old, I worked some lousy, cheap, jobs and with some petty, gossipy, women. O.K. I'm tired of thinking about those horrible days.
-
Believe it or not this is from a recent poll: have you ever called out from work because you had a bad hair day? No, I always faced the music and carried on as long as I could.

Any other unusual reasons or odd excuses you've heard for missing work or school? Let's see...Car won't start, roads are ice covered, our electric is off and I have to stay home for the electric man, I think I broke my toe, my baby sitter called in sick.........

someone was 'busted' taking a sick day when they weren't? No

Sick or well, can you name any food(s) easy to eat in bed? I can't think of anything, I've never eaten food in bed

Just To:
Things that need refurbishing or replacing include: Our windows and exterior paint on our house, both planned for completion this Spring.

Today's Dumb Joke:
Answer: Waiter, there's a hare in my soup. Good One!

Thanks, bjh! Great questions!

Last edited by rdlr; 02-13-2020 at 02:33 PM..

Old 02-13-2020, 04:49 PM
bjh bjh started this thread

60,096 posts, read 30,391,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpinvt View Post
Today's Picture:
Madeira, Portugal fruit market. ** Like the pic! What are those long green fruits that look a bit like pinecones?
Those are called "banana ananas" which means "banana pineapple".

Old 02-14-2020, 06:49 AM

14,776 posts, read 8,109,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post

Today's Question(s):
--
Just for grins, how would you react/feel if an unexpected turn of events at some time caused you to be quarantined?
I probably would not be thrilled, but I understand why they have to do this...for the 'greater good.'
I wouldn't want to be the reason someone or other people ended up with this disease, and suffered/died...or spread it further.

Somethings in life just happen, and are beyond your control really.

Bonus "Day-Off" Section:
No thanks....wasn't all bad, but wasn't all good either.
Believe it or not this is from a recent poll: have you ever called out from work because you had a bad hair day?

Any other unusual reasons or odd excuses you've heard for missing work or school?
too many to name!
someone was 'busted' taking a sick day when they weren't?

Sick or well, can you name any food(s) easy to eat in bed?
I don't know, I have always been able to get up and eat at the table, no matter how sick.

Just To:
Things that need refurbishing or replacing include:

Today's Dumb Joke:

Today's Picture:
Madeira, Portugal fruit market.

Ditto!

Old 02-14-2020, 09:28 AM

24,768 posts, read 28,523,474 times

Today's Question(s):
--
Just for grins, how would you react/feel if an unexpected turn of events at some time caused you to be quarantined? Been quarantined once.. not a fun deal..

Bonus "Day-Off" Section:
-
Believe it or not this is from a recent poll: have you ever called out from work because you had a bad hair day? Bad Hair days all the time... working for the gov. Bad Hair - Pulling Hair - Banging your head against the wall...

Any other unusual reasons or odd excuses you've heard for missing work or school? … Yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQQCPrwKzdo

someone was 'busted' taking a sick day when they weren't? O yes... school 1st of April Trout Season.. my friend caught a very large trout.. had a photo taken in the local paper..

Sick or well, can you name any food(s) easy to eat in bed? Ice Cream...

Just To:
Things that need refurbishing or replacing include: ME

Today's Dumb Joke:

Thanks BJH...

Old 02-15-2020, 06:16 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,004,316 times
Today's Question(s):
--
Just for grins, how would you react/feel if an unexpected turn of events at some time caused you to be quarantined?
The job I had the had me traveling paid me until I was home. I could handle getting paid for 14 days without having to actually work.

Bonus "Day-Off" Section:
-
Believe it or not this is from a recent poll: have you ever called out from work because you had a bad hair day?
I wear my hair way too short to use that excuse.

One place I worked someone once called long distance collect to say they were calling in sick.

someone was 'busted' taking a sick day when they weren't?
A co-worker called in sick to go fishing. While drifting down the river he passed a cabin owned by our general manager. To make matters worse he saw the GM standing there so he waved to him before remembering he had called in sick.

Sick or well, can you name any food(s) easy to eat in bed?
Jell-O

Just To:
Things that need refurbishing or replacing include:
The front seats in the Jeep
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics