Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 12:14 PM

267 posts, read 1,289,969 times

Advertisements

Sellers AND buyers are planning a large scale boycott on May 1st to try and get ebay to reverse recent and on ongoing changes, and to make other improvements. So far, ebay is completely ignoring its users and many are leaving, or have already left in disgust. PLEASE help support the upcoming boycott. For more infomation, you can visit various forums out there such as Power Sellers Unite - Online Auction Industry Discussion Forum and Ecommerce Store web hosting and PayPalSucks.com is where you will learn about the PayPal Class Action Lawsuit, Abuse, Fraud & evil behind the PayPal system!, or even the "seller central" forum on ebay (before some threads are censored).

THE MAJOR ISSUES:

1. Feedback Changes:

A. Buyers will only be able to receive positive feedback effective May 2008.

B. Feedback older than 12 months will no longer be applied towards your
feedback percentage.

C. Neutral Feedback will now be considered as negative to determine buyer
dissatisfaction rate and seller account restrictions

2. DSR'S (Detailed Seller Ratings):

A. eBay allows buyers to think that a 4.0 (on a scale of 1-5) denotes good
business practices by the seller regarding item as described, communication,
shipping time and shipping and handling charges, while sellers are subjected to
various penalties for that same score.

B. DSR's are rated on a curve. Results of this curve may make even a rating of a 4.8
the median in a given rating category.

C. DSR'S will now be intertwined with "Best Match" search positioning.

D. eBay is unjustly red-flagging "good" sellers as well as "bad" sellers by stating
sellers with a 4.5 rating (On a scale of 1-5) now have a "low" rating, thereby
implying they are in the category of "bad sellers".

E. "Bad" Sellers will be kept because of their monetary value.

3. Minimum 21 Day PayPal Hold For Risky Sellers And Risky Categories:

A. Sellers whose total feedback score is not more than 100 will have payments held
for up to 21 days.

B. Risky category sellers will be subjected to a 21 day hold, even well established
sellers.

C. Sellers with 5% or greater negatives in a 30 day period will be subject to the 21
day hold regardless of the circumstances.

4. Unreasonable Fee Increases:

A. Promoted to the Ebay community as decreases, only the insertion fees were
decreased. Insertion fees decreased by $.05 with the gallery picture given free
($.35 savings) yet FVF (final value fees) raised by as much as 66%.

B. Reserve fees increased from $1.00 to $2.00 and will no longer be refunded if
the item sells.

C. Store FVF's (final value fees) increased to 12% above and beyond monthly and
listing fees.

5. Miscellaneous:

A. The universal anonymous bidder policy promotes additional
unsafe buyer practices and has led to buyers losing trust in the system.

B. The majority of Power Sellers will not qualify for newly stated discounts.

C. The note "This item is not covered by buyer protection on eBay," which is
placed in two areas of the listings of sellers who do not offer PayPal, causes
harm to the good sellers' reputations and intimidates buyers.

D. eBay sellers are red-flagged on their listing page if their rating is 4.2 and below.
(per the beta test).

E. When sellers are red-flagged, eBay also lists other sellers' items on said sellers'
listings. (per the Beta Test for eBay Express items).

F. Non-existent customer service.

G. Paypal is being forced on sellers and buyers as the only acceptable means for payments on ebay. Australia is currently a test for this. This amounts to double-dipping by ebay, and opens the door for future hikes in Paypal fees.

H. Buyers can get a Paypal refund for any lame excuse, and in many cases, can get a refund AND keep the item. (Read ebay forums to find out how to do this.)

I. ebay is close-lipped about their substantial plans for changes to ebay. They appear to moving towards a retail site similar to Amazon.com and are planning to get rid of all of the "small" sellers and the auction format.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2008, 12:38 PM

19,922 posts, read 11,054,205 times
Interesting information. Thanks.

I never EBAY when I can QFLEA but that's a whole different story.

I hope that for the sake of those who rely on Ebay as a part of their business that this boycott does help those who need it. I do hear many complaints about the fees and the changes to the rules, but this was the first I heard about the boycott. I appreciate the information.

Charley

Old 04-29-2008, 02:16 PM

1,641 posts, read 5,029,166 times
Wow, I'm really sorry to hear this. And if they are going to stop the auctions, well for me that was the most fun part. What a bummer.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:53 PM

13,607 posts, read 21,415,850 times
I have found some nice items on Ebay.I sell for my company on Ebay.

If it's not broke,don't fix it.Sad that they may do these changes.What's needed perhaps is a competition auction site.Somebody could become succcessful by this just like Ebay did.

Old 04-30-2008, 07:46 AM

27,376 posts, read 27,423,838 times
I cant just boycott Ebay, despite the changes, heck I have bids going on some clothes and am 'watching' a certain camera that Ive wanted for SOOOOOO long (to replace the one I had many years ago). Gonna wait till the last minute to bid on it, but then, Im sure other bidders will follow, as everyone prefers to wait till the last minute. I usually only place one bid, and if someone eles out-does me, they can have it, and will try again on another one later.

Last edited by country pride; 04-30-2008 at 08:05 AM..

Old 04-30-2008, 04:40 PM

100 posts, read 443,035 times
I quit using ebay as soon as the changes came about,It hurt as my online business had just took off,Ebay users are not growing so to keep making the same money they are basically taking upwards of 30% of every sale once you factor in all the costs---find other sites to auction goods...I am looking at several others and hope not to have to use Ebay in the future-hope the Boycott puts a large dent in their bottom line,but I doubt it will....

Old 04-30-2008, 07:41 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,587,129 times
In the recent past I have been both seller and a buyer. This is unsatisfactory to me. I read the emails that they have sent me and not happy about these changes at all. I will not bid nor sell until 'they' get back to being the good place that they used to be. Thank you for this information.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:40 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,535,910 times
I quit using Ebay when most of the sellers started charging outrageous shipping charges..

Old 04-30-2008, 10:45 PM

54,498 posts, read 33,891,382 times
I never used Ebay, and I probably never will. If I were to buy something, I'd prefer to pick it up at the store, pay for it and walk out with it, and not have to worry about shipping charges, or shipping delays.

I only buy certain items online, like DVDs, and a couple of books, but not from Ebay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics