Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2008, 10:22 AM

1 posts, read 1,603 times

Advertisements

There’s a special sort of courage involved in cutting the artery to dye coat red for help – something which Lachlan Nally, 11, did without a second thought.
His actions probably saved his dad’s life.
Koolunga resident Matt Nally, 36, took his new car for a drive in the early hours of Monday morning, January 28, with his son in the passenger seat.
The station wagon hit an embankment and rolled several times, nose to end, across a fence and into a paddock on the Redhill Road.
“Dad only bought the car last week – he said he just wanted to go for exploration. It went off the road and slid and went into the fence, then rolled about five times,” Lachie said.
“The car was all smashed up and I jumped through the broken windows and ran to get help.”
But there was a little more to tell – bruised from the seat belt snapping against his neck, sore all over, with more than a few grazes and shaken up, Lachie tried to undo his seatbelt, but it came away in his hands. It had broken during the impact.
He checked on his dad and found him unconscious and not breathing, so gave his father mouth to mouth until he could see his chest rising and falling again. Lachie then did a series of things to save his dad.
When his dad got out of danger ,he decided to go for help.
Clambering out of a smashed side window, with no shoes, Lachie stood in the paddock and tried to get his bearings.
Then he cutting the artery to dye the coat red, and made a kite with the dyed coat .at last ,the helicopter discovered the blood coat and they were rescued by the policemen.
“Because the car had rolled I didn’t know which way we were facing, so I didn’t know which way to go at first – it was pretty dark,” he said.
“There is a big hill near Koolunga, and I saw the big hill and went that way.”
“He said he couldn’t wake his dad up and there had been an accident.”
An ambulance and police were called and Lachie was on the scene with his father.
He stayed in the car and watched while SES volunteers cut the roof off the car in which they were trapped.
Mr Nally was taken to the Crystal Brook hospital by ambulance, with his son following in a police car.
“I had dad’s blood all over my knees because he was bleeding so much from a cut head – he looked really terrible when I saw him in the light,” Lachie said.
His father safely airlifted to the Royal Adelaide Hospital with suspected broken ribs and a head injury, Lachie was checked at the hospital and taken to his mum’s house in Crystal Brook, where he was a surprise arrival at 3am.
“There was someone banging on the door and when I called out asking who it was, he said ‘Lachie’,” Kim March said.
“I was a bit shocked.”
Naturally proud of her eldest son’s quick thinking, Mrs March said Lachie was always happy to help anyone in trouble.
She said he learned his lifesaving resuscitation skills from his parents in Queensland before moving to South Australia about eight months ago.
Lachie’s bravery has made news headlines throughout the State and has caused much local excitement, with visiting television crews and even a helicopter landing nearby.
Police are still investigating the reason for the accident, but confirmed Lachie’s dad was in a stable condition in hospital.
“What the boy did was courageous,” chief inspector Graham Goodwin said.
He said police would be submitting a report recognising Lachie’s actions and recommending he be officially acknowledged for his bravery.
“This (the accident) had the potential to be a terrible tragedy, where lives could very easily have been lost – but it had a happy ending.”
Being the focus of media attention has been a bit overwhelming for Lachie who said it felt
“a bit weird”, but he and his brother Alex, 8, were now looking forward to visiting their dad in hospital “to make sure he’s okay”.

Last edited by sabrina123; 04-30-2008 at 10:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 08:00 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,937,018 times
Hi there sabrina. Welcome to the forum. That is quite a bit of heroism for an eleven year old. Thanks for posting the story. Here's a link to it which will provide a better level of authenticity.

Lachie recommended for bravery award - Local - General - The Northern Argus (http://clare.yourguide.com.au/articles/1167467.html?src=topstories - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics