Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2021, 06:17 AM

7,368 posts, read 5,483,693 times

Advertisements

Hello and welcome to the Tuesday edition of Questions Of The Day.

Our regular Tuesday host PJSaturn is having some computer issues so as a result I was asked to fill in.

Tuesday's random questions:

Do you do all your grocery shopping at one store or do you go to multiple places to get what you want? Examples are welcome! Usually one store but once every month or two I’ll go to a couple different stores for items I can’t get at my regular store.

Grocery or not what is the furthest you drive to get a special item that you like and how often? Once a month, not a far drive, five minutes.

How do you like your water and how often - plain out of the faucet, filtered, bottled, with fresh lime or lemon, or anything else? Out of faucet and then flavored.

What was one of the last photos you took? I took a photo of my husband Saturday night at a restaurant.

At any time was there an inside of a building or two you were overall fascinated with and what was it? I’m fascinated by mansions I see in pictures or videos.

Is there something that you are interested in but an overwhelming amount of people aren't? Certain TV shows.

Fill in the blank:

Back in my day, we Had more respect for people and property.

Have a wonderful Tuesday! Thank you, you too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2021, 06:51 AM

6,830 posts, read 3,221,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post

Our regular Tuesday host PJSaturn is having some computer issues so as a result I was asked to fill in.

Do you do all your grocery shopping at one store or do you go to multiple places to get what you want? Examples are welcome! We do most of our shopping at Winco, about 30 miles away. We also shop at Dollar General in our little town, about a mile away.

Grocery or not what is the furthest you drive to get a special item that you like and how often? About 30 miles away.

How do you like your water and how often - plain out of the faucet, filtered, bottled, with fresh lime or lemon, or anything else? The supplied water in our town is almost undrinkable. We buy filtered water from a dispenser at $.40 a gallon

What was one of the last photos you took? A week ago. Some cloud formation.

At any time was there an inside of a building or two you were overall fascinated with and what was it? Can't remember anything specific.

Is there something that you are interested in but an overwhelming amount of people aren't? I love walking along our river watching trout rising and then "matching the hatch" and fishing for them.

Fill in the blank:

Back in my day, we / I __________Made balsa wood hydroplanes in Seattle and dragged them through the dust. This was in the late 50's and early 60's.

Have a wonderful Tuesday!
You too, it's good to be alive!

Good questions!

Old 02-23-2021, 07:02 AM

14,776 posts, read 8,112,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John13 View Post

Do you do all your grocery shopping at one store or do you go to multiple places to get what you want? Examples are welcome!
Usually just one store at a time...although the store may vary (keep in mind in pre-Covid times we would go to the store every couple of days for perishables.) I live within a ten minute drive to Trader Joe's, Meijers, Krogers, Whole Foods, Aldi's, Walmart Grocery and Good Food Co-Op and in growing season there is a Farmers Market not far...nowadays we use grocery pick up or delivery or my Husband or Son picks up groceries.They are "essential workers".
Grocery or not what is the furthest you drive to get a special item that you like and how often?
There is a restaurant we like, and have driven to Versailles, Kentucky to go there(about 25 miles)
How do you like your water and how often - plain out of the faucet, filtered, bottled, with fresh lime or lemon, or anything else?
Use to have one of the filter things but that died, so lately just bottled or tap water, but am thinking of getting one of those filtered water pitchers.
What was one of the last photos you took?
it's been so long I don't even recall.
It's sad, I use to love to take pictures, I just don't anymore....

At any time was there an inside of a building or two you were overall fascinated with and what was it?
Maybe the state Capital or the Cathedral of Assumption in Louisville(stars on the ceiling)....but that was awhile ago. I prefer natural outdoor scenery the most.
Is there something that you are interested in but an overwhelming amount of people aren't?
I am sure there is, but I am drawing a blank.

u-2!

Last edited by Crazee Cat Lady; 02-23-2021 at 07:24 AM..

Old 02-23-2021, 07:38 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times

Do you do all your grocery shopping at one store or do you go to multiple places to get what you want? Examples are welcome!
One place, especially these days.

Grocery or not what is the furthest you drive to get a special item that you like and how often?
40 miles, one way.

How do you like your water and how often - plain out of the faucet, filtered, bottled, with fresh lime or lemon, or anything else?
Bottled but not often without some sort of flavoring.

That's easy. I took some pictures and movies of our recent snow with my smart phone and but they got lost in the "cloud." I no longer use the camera on my dumb phone.

At any time was there an inside of a building or two you were overall fascinated with and what was it?
Most definitely the Library of Congress main reading room in D.C. after they finished the renovations.

Also, I would say the lobby area of the Omni Hotel and CNN Center in Atlanta was quite impressive in the 1990s.

Is there something that you are interested in but an overwhelming amount of people aren't?
As Eddy Albert once sang, "Farm living is the place to be."

Fill in the blank:

Back in my day, we / I _walked 10 miles uphill both ways to school____

Have a wonderful Tuesday! You too John. And thanks.

Old 02-23-2021, 08:57 AM

8,877 posts, read 13,917,274 times
Hello to all!

I do my normal shopping at one food store. However I do shop the "pricey" food store for their deals each week or for certain items they carry in which I like their quality. I also buy some groceries with Target Drive Up and WalMart pickup.

I drive to a butcher shop about 40 miles up the interstate from here. It's a nice ride and the meat is great!

I fill a gallon jug from the faucet and chill it in the fridge.

Took some photos of our new dog (we lost two in the past year), so we now have two replacements.

I had to go inside the max security prison in Joppa, MD for business awhile back. Along with some other lockup's I've visited for work, they are amazing on the inside. Not nice, but amazing.

For years it was geocaching (I started in 2002).

Fill in the blank:

Back in my day, we / I _ _________

Great job with the questions! Thanks for QOTD. Hope everyone has a terrific day!

Old 02-23-2021, 09:51 AM

24,471 posts, read 26,008,272 times

We use 2, 1 for groceries and 1 for produce.

Roughly 110. miles for a steak dinner and a bit of gambling.

Tap is fine, we also use bottled water when out and about.

License plates on the cars.

1, The historic Old Post Office in WA DC2, Union Station in Los Angeles.

Western American History.

Fill in the blank:

Back in my day, we / I wanted a muscle car.

Thanx John, neato fill in Q's.

Old 02-23-2021, 10:34 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
[quote=John13;60463152]Hello and welcome to the Tuesday edition of Questions Of The Day.

I usually shop in our local grocery store but I have to go to another for a few things I can't get there.
It's about a 3 mile drive maybe twice a month.

It's out of a filtered fridge or sparkling from a can.
Snow on top of our neighbors screened in porch.
Any old house with ornate woodwork will do.
Probably upholstery. It was such a fun class. I will take it again if it's offered and as soon as it's safe to do so.
Fill in the blank:

Back in my day, we / I _could work long hours, but not anymore. _________

Thanks John. So these plumbers that showed up yesterday were all drunk. Ugh. Why is it so hard to find a plumber?

We are installing this cute original pantry cabinet that's 12x16 and 54 inches tall that I sanded down and refinished. It fits perfectly back where it was originally and up against the new cabinets. It turned out good.

Old 02-23-2021, 04:11 PM

72 posts, read 46,171 times

Multiple stores, ugh. Costco for meat, WinCo for general grocery shopping, Sprouts for extra healthy stuff if the mood strikes.

There's a supplement store here I REALLY like. It's about a 30 minute drive every month or so. Not too bad!

I like my semi-filtered water. No lime, just ice ice baby.

A stellar picture of Caesar's Palace in Vegas.

I live in Las Vegas so there's a lot of them. I love the inside of the Venetian hotel.

Mountain Biking!

Fill in the blank:

Back in my day, we / I __________ used to twirl the phone cord around my index finger while talking.

Old 02-24-2021, 08:21 PM

11,370 posts, read 9,286,148 times

Do you do all your grocery shopping at one store or do you go to multiple places to get what you want? Examples are welcome! - Multiple. Many examples so I'll just name a few items.

Harris Teeter is overall my favorite.

Mom's Organic Market for free filtered water and some other items like soap and cereal.

Safeway - They always have perfect avocados (a challenge most of the time) and the best pre made salads. Wegmans is a close second as far as salads. I use as starters and add...

More below and I'm not going to mention all. It would take too long.

20-25 minute drive:

Trader Joe's especially for their Indian dinners. I use as starter and have with vegetables.
Wegmans is close by. I like their whole grains and other items. Usually hit both as they are within 5 minutes of each other.

Harris Teeter - I will make a special trip there just to get their carrots w/garlic which is in their deli case. I think I'm addicted...

Across the street is Sprouts. Great deli case especially 3 types of chicken breast, dinner turkey slices where I can get one or two, roasted Brussels sprouts, and garlic green beans.

How do you like your water and how often - plain out of the faucet, filtered, bottled, with fresh lime or lemon, or anything else? - Between the mentioned filtered water and regular Perrier. That's just about all I ever drink.

When out (only occasionally) and before Covid I'll ask for either lime or lemon for the water.

What was one of the last photos you took? - When I moved 1.5 years ago my old apartment to prove I left it in pristine condition.

At any time was there an inside of a building or two you were overall fascinated with and what was it? - The California Academy of Sciences in San Francisco is highly recommended.

National Baseball Hall Of Fame and Museum in Cooperstown, NY especially the Negro League exhibit. Very moving to say the least.

Is there something that you are interested in but an overwhelming amount of people aren't? - Horse racing.

Fill in the blank:

Back in my day, we / I respected elders.
Not feeling it...

Thanks for your answers!

Old 02-24-2021, 09:16 PM

44,359 posts, read 20,066,476 times

Our regular Tuesday host PJSaturn is having some computer issues so as a result I was asked to fill in. I finally picked up my laptop from the PC repair store this evening. I was lost without it! Thanks so much for filling in for me, John13.

Do you do all your grocery shopping at one store or do you go to multiple places to get what you want? Examples are welcome! I shop at two different stores, but never both on the same day. I will do all of my shopping at one store or the other.

Grocery or not what is the furthest you drive to get a special item that you like and how often? Generally, I wouldn't have to go more than three miles to get everything I need. A few times I've traveled about 18 miles to visit an ethic food store for obscure items needed for specific recipes.

How do you like your water and how often - plain out of the faucet, filtered, bottled, with fresh lime or lemon, or anything else? Water from the faucet, run through a filter in a pitcher.

What was one of the last photos you took? Some pics of the drifted snow in my yard.

At any time was there an inside of a building or two you were overall fascinated with and what was it? Westminster Abbey was pretty awesome. I toured it a couple of years ago.

Is there something that you are interested in but an overwhelming amount of people aren't? For many decades, I loved reading MAD magazine. I was sad when MAD finally went out of publication a few years ago.

Fill in the blank:

Back in my day, we / I felt perfectly safe riding a bus alone to down Gary, Indiana to shop or see a movie. Sadly, it hasn't been safe to do that since the 1970s.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics