Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2022, 05:26 AM

899 posts, read 671,559 times

Advertisements

Random quote of the day: “If I were two-faced, would I be wearing this one?” ~Abraham Lincoln

Quote:
Originally Posted by farm fatale View Post
Hi everyone.

1. How did you celebrate Thanksgiving when you were 15 year old?
Much the same as we currently do. This year we're having friends over, going to eat the usual dishes and play games.

2. What do you think was the best thing about being a kid, in general?
Less responsibility.

3. Pretend you just won $ 1 million. What's the first thing you would buy?
Maybe a small camper.

4. Are you going to have/eat pumpkin pie for this Thanksgiving?
One of the guests is bringing the pies, so we'll see.

5. What is your support system/community? Do you have one?
I don't know. We're friendly with people but I don't know if they'd step in to help if we had problems.

6. What is your favorite dish for Thanksgiving?
Probably fresh dinner rolls.

7. Please share something that you enjoyed. Anything. A book, a song, a movie, a painting, a special recipe.
Or something that you made, a painting, a song that you composed, or maybe a joke you heard. Can be anything.
"The Man in the High Castle" on amazon prime. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ma...tle_(TV_series)

Happy Thanksgiving for tomorrow!
You as well. I need to start brining the turkey tonight. https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...recipe-1950271
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2022, 05:29 AM

126,279 posts, read 19,048,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by farm fatale View Post
Hi everyone.

1. How did you celebrate Thanksgiving when you were 15 year old? We had a nice Thanksgiving dinner with family

2. What do you think was the best thing about being a kid, in general? Growing up in a loving,caring household

3. Pretend you just won $ 1 million. What's the first thing you would buy? Reach out to people who need help

4. Are you going to have/eat pumpkin pie for this Thanksgiving? Our Canadian Thanksgiving was in the beginning of October and I don't make pumpkin pie

5. What is your support system/community? Do you have one? My family and closest friends

6. What is your favorite dish for Thanksgiving? I like the cranberry chutney I always make

7. Please share something that you enjoyed. Anything. A book, a song, a movie, a painting, a special recipe. Or something that you made, a painting, a song that you composed, or maybe a joke you heard. Can be anything.
Here is the way I make my cranberry chutney!

2 chopped garlic cloves
1 chopped onion
14 oz cranberries
1 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp. yellow mustard seeds
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1 large Bartlett pear,peeled and cut in dices

Transfer everything EXCEPT the pear in a pot,mix well and bring to a boil,THEN reduce heat and SIMMER until chutney is very thick,stirring occasionally so it wont stick to bottom of pot.
Meanwhile finely chop pear and add to chutney,gently cook for a bit longer,stirring THEN remove from heat and taste test if it needs more brown sugar(if add it then) Serve it warm or once cooled down put in fridge up to 4 weeks

Thank you farm fatale

Old 11-23-2022, 07:18 AM

7,368 posts, read 5,482,511 times
Hi everyone.

1. How did you celebrate Thanksgiving when you were 15 year old? Same as now, with family.

2. What do you think was the best thing about being a kid, in general? I did not have the responsibilities I have now.

3. Pretend you just won $ 1 million. What's the first thing you would buy? A new iPhone

4. Are you going to have/eat pumpkin pie for this Thanksgiving? Yes

5. What is your support system/community? Do you have one? My friends

6. What is your favorite dish for Thanksgiving? Mashed potato’s and gravy

7. Please share something that you enjoyed. Anything. A book, a song, a movie, a painting, a special recipe. Or something that you made, a painting, a song that you composed, or maybe a joke you heard. Can be anything.

I enjoy lots of things. So off the top of my head I’ll say my yoga class, it’s keeping my body and mind fit which is important as you are aging.

Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving!

Old 11-23-2022, 07:40 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
1. How did you celebrate Thanksgiving when you were 15 year old? I remember it well. At age 15 Thanksgiving was a few months after I got my learner's permit, and I had already bought a car (for $30). My younger sister and I did most of the cooking, including the turkey, as my Mom was always having a difficult time with a pregnancy. There were 9 kids eventually, that year just 7. My father didn't like turkey, so we always had to have a Capon, but that year with so many we cooked two of them..

2. What do you think was the best thing about being a kid, in general? Looking forward to things, such as driving, going to college, getting married, having kids.

3. Pretend you just won $ 1 million. What's the first thing you would buy? I would take in my Nova to a classic car restorer for new upholstery.

4. Are you going to have/eat pumpkin pie for this Thanksgiving? No, I'm making 3 pies, Sweet Potato, Buttermilk, and Lemon-Pear.

5. What is your support system/community? Do you have one? Not really. Our neighbor across the street will help if needed, and I help them, but we are otherwise still mostly self-sufficient at 69 and 70.

6. What is your favorite dish for Thanksgiving? The crispy butter-basted skin on the turkey. When carving it, I always snitch a few pieces.

7. Please share something that you enjoyed. Anything. A book, a song, a movie, a painting, a special recipe. Or something that you made, a painting, a song that you composed, or maybe a joke you heard. Can be anything. That would be our recent vacation, in October. We drove down to Tillamook Oregon, then down the Oregon coast through Seaside, Cannon Beach, Coos Bay, Brookings and then to Eureka, CA. There we stayed in a 100 year old hotel that's reported to be haunted, and did have an unusual experience. We then drove from there back up I5 to Mt. Vernon WA and turned off to Anacortes, where we did some exploring, and a little fishing. I only caught one 12" trout, but had fun.

Old 11-23-2022, 08:14 AM

9,724 posts, read 14,264,687 times
1. How did you celebrate Thanksgiving when you were 15 year old? My parents had a Mom/Pop store, and we lived in a small area attached to the store. My mother fixed Thanksgiving Dinner while my father and I tended to the store. When the dinner was ready, we put a sign on the store door: CLOSED UNTIL _____ (so we could have dinner.)

2. What do you think was the best thing about being a kid, in general? Not knowing what I know now, about life and death.

3. Pretend you just won $ 1 million. What's the first thing you would buy? Nothing. I'd give it to my children.

4. Are you going to have/eat pumpkin pie for this Thanksgiving? Yes

5. What is your support system/community? Do you have one? Yes, my children and nephew.

6. What is your favorite dish for Thanksgiving? Stuffing, gravy and mashed potatoes.

I love this Meatloaf Tribute Band which I attended a couple of months ago, and am searching for their next, closeby, concert. Sorry, this shows up as a LONG video.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...tail&FORM=VIRE

Last edited by rdlr; 11-23-2022 at 08:31 AM..

Old 11-23-2022, 08:29 AM

19,723 posts, read 10,497,140 times
Please share something that you enjoyed. Anything. A book, a song, a movie, a painting, a special recipe. Or something that you made, a painting, a song that you composed, or maybe a joke you heard. Can be anyt

11/12/2022...pix was taken.....(we are still harvesting corn, today!)
Attached Thumbnails
Questions of the day, Wednesday Nov. 23-image155-1-.jpeg  

Old 11-23-2022, 09:27 AM

3,125 posts, read 1,011,740 times
Good morning. I read all the comments and I enjoyed all of them. Thanks for sharing. I have to go back and listen to the music later.

Europeans don't celebrate Thanksgiving so...I did not.
Playing all day long.
I would give my brother some money so he can finish his house. He's building one and it's almost done but not quite. And then I'll buy a small house for my husband and I here, somewhere in a smaller city. A small and cozy house, with a lovely garden. I'll get a dog or maybe ... two dogs.
No. I'll make another dessert.
Here? Two people, that's it. But they are willing to drop everything for me, in order to help. I'm very grateful for this.
First year when we moved here from Germany, we were invited to our new landlords. For Thanksgiving dinner. Our first Thanksgiving ever. It was lovely, the food great. They had a spectacular house with a equally spectacular view, somewhere in nature, outside the city. We were strict vegetarians at the time but ate all the dishes, except the turkey. The lady of the house served two desserts, pumpkin pie and berries pie. I really liked the berries pie!
I want to share an album that I posted here. With pictures of things that I created/made. I'll post more pictures in the album in the future, in the following days. I really enjoyed making the objects, the creative process. See the link below.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/memb...ated-made.html

Thank you for the reps and comments. I hope you all have a great celebration.

Old 11-23-2022, 10:42 AM

24,471 posts, read 26,003,936 times
Hi everyone.

Best guess. Typical meal with turkey, mashed taters, dtuffing, gravy and cranberry sauce.

Not really having much to worry about.

4 Laddered CD's for the estate.

Pumpkin pie will be there, wether I have any will depend on what might be a option.

The city has several support grouos for various things. Other than that it wpuld be us.

Mashed taters, stuffing covered with gravy.

16 years of City Data.

Thanx farm fatale. Well done.

Old 11-23-2022, 11:24 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,796,009 times
[quote=farm fatale;64493205]Hi everyone.

Oh lordy. I'd rather forget my alcoholic parents and that dried out bird.
Looking forward to growing up so I could escape crazy town.
Nothing I really want so I would help my friends.
Most definitely.
I have a lot of friends and shorties in my life, but I'm about to lose two more. One is on hospice and one has stage 4 pancreatic cancer. I lost one of my oldest friends last March.
Maybe the home made stuffing. I only make it once a year.

Thanks farm. (love the name)
That would be playing Monopoly with our Indian friends after a home made Indian meal on Monday night. We laugh so much. It's fun.

Happy Thanksgiving all. I'm headed to the kitchen to cook some of the dishes. I have two ten pound turkeys to cook tomorrow.

Old 11-23-2022, 12:06 PM

12,283 posts, read 2,968,089 times
What is it with not putting the year on these threads?

Same, dinner.
Not knowing how evil people can be.
An SUV.
Yes
Family
Dessert.

Happy Thanksgiving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics