Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2022, 06:23 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,294,953 times

Advertisements

Today is the last day of November 2022. This past Sunday was the first Sunday of Advent (for those who observe Christmas). This past week was also Thanksgiving for US citizens. So with all that in mind, here are the questions today:

1. How do you celebrate "the holidays?"

2. Do you have any decorations up in or outside your house and if so, what are they?

3. Did you put out any wintery holiday decorations before Thanksgiving if you are a US citizen? If yes, explain what and why.

4. Do you send out holiday cards and if so, how many and when?

5. Do you mail any packages to anyone during the year? If so, to who, and what?

6. What's the weather like where you live?

7. If the leaves put on a show where you live, when does the show peak?

8. How much snow, if any, do you average through the year?

9. Where you live or where you have lived in the past, does it generally snow before the end of December?

That's all for today - enjoy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2022, 06:43 AM

1,407 posts, read 636,037 times
Today is the last day of November 2022. This past Sunday was the first Sunday of Advent (for those who observe Christmas). This past week was also Thanksgiving for US citizens. So with all that in mind, here are the questions today:

Good Morning

1. How do you celebrate "the holidays?" First 1/2 of Dec. travel overseas to see family. Second 1/2 of Dec. getting over the jet lag, relaxing and taking it easy, preferably in front of the fireplace reading a book or watching a movie on the I-Pad

2. Do you have any decorations up in or outside your house and if so, what are they? Green porch lights and a lighted swag on the front door

3. Did you put out any wintery holiday decorations before Thanksgiving if you are a US citizen? Sometimes. If yes, explain what and why. I get in the mood and have free time to do it.

4. Do you send out holiday cards and if so, how many and when? Yes. This year 37. They go out mañana.

5. Do you mail any packages to anyone during the year? Sometimes If so, to who, and what? Brother, cousins, my wife's sisters, Family in Spain if we don't go in Dec.

6. What's the weather like where you live? Now is overcast.

7. If the leaves put on a show where you live, when does the show peak? October upstate beginning of Nov downstate

8. How much snow, if any, do you average through the year? Upstate almost 70" downstate 26"

9. Where you live or where you have lived in the past, does it generally snow before the end of December? Yes.

THX!

Enjoy the last Nov of 22, everyone.

Old 11-30-2022, 06:55 AM

126,405 posts, read 19,156,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post

1. How do you celebrate "the holidays?" The Advent season I invite family and friends for Sunday Kaffeklatsches and family (now 3 generations) gathers for the holidays in my home to celebrate Christmas Eve and Christmas Day,sometimes Sylvester/New Years Eve

2. Do you have any decorations up in or outside your house and if so, what are they? I put up the Advent wreath that I made and some other German decorations from the Christkindl market

3. Did you put out any wintery holiday decorations before Thanksgiving if you are a US citizen? If yes, explain what and why. No

4. Do you send out holiday cards and if so, how many and when? Our relative circle is getting smaller,still write to school friends and I am sending handwritten Christmas cards out next week

5. Do you mail any packages to anyone during the year? If so, to who, and what? My yearly Christmas baking season has started and I send every year to family/relatives and friends across the globe my hand baked Christmas cookies,Baumkuchen and Stollen.I have been doing this for more than 30 years

6. What's the weather like where you live? It is dark,windy and heavy rain

7. If the leaves put on a show where you live, when does the show peak? In October

8. How much snow, if any, do you average through the year? It varies,we used to get so much snow.They say quite a bit of snow this winter........wit-nit....... is working on it

9. Where you live or where you have lived in the past, does it generally snow before the end of December? Yes it always does.In my childhood we had a lot of snow and even when the kids grew up we went sledding on Christmas day

Thank you Kathryn

Old 11-30-2022, 06:57 AM

1. How do you celebrate "the holidays?" I generally get together with family for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I go to various Christmas parties throughout December. I feel like the Thanksgiving weekend sort of starts up the Christmas holidays. Unlike many families, my family usually goes out to eat for Thanksgiving, but we usually cook a big Christmas meal.

2. Do you have any decorations up in or outside your house and if so, what are they? Oh goodness, yes. And this is my
minimalist approach! I've done much more in the past, but this year I can't put up a tree or hang stockings on the mantel because I have two kittens who would go crazy! So I'm sticking with less breakable stuff. I do have a small tree but it only has lights on it. I didn't put out the big, ornate, porcelain Nativity set because I could just see the kittens going crazy with it. I do have two smaller sets and one is not breakable and the other is not as enticing to the kittens so I put them out, along with my Advent candles/wreath. I decorated the middle of the dining room table with non breakable stuff. I put my collection of nutcrackers out on a secretary top. So far they seem safe. I put various tins out on top of an antique desk thingie. I put my German smokers around in various places so they could make the house smell good. I put out a few non breakable things in the guest bathroom. I have some candles scattered around - they smell good too. Outside I decorated my front porch and all the windows with wreaths. I don't climb on ladders so I put up some "star showers" instead and they are on timers so that's good. I replaced the outdoor candle thingies with outdoor thingies holding various Christmas balls. I put some miniature Christmas trees up on the front porch around the door. Probably more but I can't think of anything more right now - oh wait, I thought of one more thing - I replaced the hanging pumpkin thingie on the front porch with hanging holly and three candles. I bet that doesn't make sense to anyone but me but oh well.

3. Did you put out any wintery holiday decorations before Thanksgiving if you are a US citizen? If yes, explain what and why. I never do that. Each holiday is enough. I usually decorate in a wintery theme after Thanksgiving is over - generally the weekend after Thanksgiving.

4. Do you send out holiday cards and if so, how many and when? OK, this is terrible. I used to do this all the time, but after my husband died, I haven't done it except when someone sends ME a Christmas card. So I have a box of cards out and when I get a card, I immediately send one back. So now instead of receiving 40 cards, I receive about 10 but that's OK.

5. Do you mail any packages to anyone during the year? If so, to who, and what? My adult kids are scattered from Guam to Virginia (military family) so I do send them packages of stuff every year. I also send them gift cards via their phone numbers or email addresses.

6. What's the weather like where you live? We just had a cold snap so it's nippy out there right now - the forecast for today is a high of around 52 and a low of around 35. Copious sunshine. Beats the heck out of yesterday when it was overcast and warmish. Ugh.

7. If the leaves put on a show where you live, when does the show peak? Thanksgiving week generally, which is always nice. Sometimes the week afterward. But occasionally there are still leaves on some trees at Christmas. I have noticed that the leaves have peaked here by now and some of the trees are looking bare. But driving around this beautiful weekend everything was GORGEOUS. Tons of yellow, orange and red leaves.

8. How much snow, if any, do you average through the year? Oh generally a couple of inches. It usually snows here two or three times and accumulates for a morning but usually melts by that afternoon. One time a few years ago we had a white Christmas, and about 16 years ago we had a big snow (big for here in NE Texas) and it snowed 8 inches and was on the ground for several days! That was unusual. Then of course two years ago in February we had what we call Snowmaggedon, when the temps dropped below 0 degrees and we had tons of snow and then ice and then snow again and we were basically trapped in our houses for nearly a week. I remember clearly that one day some guy in the neighborhood put out a message on some sort of social media and said he was going into town to buy margaritas and did anyone want one? He would come around and drop them off at each house. OMG he was popular! It took him hours in his huge truck but he did it and I got my margaritas! Many driveways were on the north side of houses (as was mine) for some reason and so we were definitely iced in.

9. Where you live or where you have lived in the past, does it generally snow before the end of December? I have lived in Virginia and Maryland and the mountains of Tennessee, and also Japan and Germany, and it generally snowed in those places some time during December. One of my fondest memories is driving home from a Christmas market (Christkindlmarkt I believe is how they spell it) in Germany during a snow shower and I remember thinking "This is terrific." Another time in Germany I went to a Christmas midnight mass (in German) and I was surrounded by my grandkids and we were singing Stille Nacht in German and the candles were all lit and I thought "Maybe I've died and gone to heaven." There was snow on the ground then, I do remember that as well. Wow, what a trip that was.

Old 11-30-2022, 07:24 AM

11,411 posts, read 9,336,533 times
1. How do you celebrate "the holidays?" - I don't.

2. Do you have any decorations up in or outside your house and if so, what are they? - Never did.

3. Did you put out any wintery holiday decorations before Thanksgiving if you are a US citizen? If yes, explain what and why. - Nope.

4. Do you send out holiday cards and if so, how many and when? - Only 1 ecard to one of my cousins who always sends me one. It's about the only time we communicate. She lives in another state.

5. Do you mail any packages to anyone during the year? If so, to who, and what? - Never

6. What's the weather like where you live? - Rain all day today but temperature above normal. Tomorrow turning much colder and windy.

7. If the leaves put on a show where you live, when does the show peak? - IDK

8. How much snow, if any, do you average through the year? - We haven't had a good snow here since 2015. This year will be no different according to a prediction I heard from a meteorologist.

9. Where you live or where you have lived in the past, does it generally snow before the end of December?- It's happened before but not in a while. Last may have been 2009.

That's all for today - enjoy! - Thanks, Kathryn!

Old 11-30-2022, 07:30 AM

Oh and I just changed all the wax in my Scentsy warmers and put out pine scented wax to melt. They're probably bad for me somehow but I don't care. I will light the candles tonight and lay on the sofa and listen to holiday music and watch the flickering lights. My air filter loves me even if no one else does! Wait. I love myself and I love the holidays.

Old 11-30-2022, 08:01 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,620,392 times
1. How do you celebrate "the holidays?" By trying to get family to come and visit. Doesn't usually work

2. Do you have any decorations up in or outside your house and if so, what are they? Haven't started decorating yet

3. Did you put out any wintery holiday decorations before Thanksgiving if you are a US citizen? If yes, explain what and why. Nope. Believe in keeping holidays separate

4. Do you send out holiday cards and if so, how many and when? Just mailed out around 60 cards yesterday

5. Do you mail any packages to anyone during the year? If so, to who, and what? Nope

6. What's the weather like where you live? 60 at 10 last night, 32 now at 9 AM

7. If the leaves put on a show where you live, when does the show peak? Peaked quite a while ago

8. How much snow, if any, do you average through the year? A big snowfall for us is around 8"

9. Where you live or where you have lived in the past, does it generally snow before the end of December? Occasionally

Old 11-30-2022, 08:18 AM

7,401 posts, read 5,514,753 times

1. How do you celebrate "the holidays?" With my family. Get together at my brothers house, eat, drink, maybe play cards.

2. Do you have any decorations up in or outside your house and if so, what are they? In, tree and some Xmas decorations.

3. Did you put out any wintery holiday decorations before Thanksgiving if you are a US citizen? If yes, explain what and why. No, I wait until after thanksgiving.

4. Do you send out holiday cards and if so, how many and when? Nit sure yet, maybe I’ll send a few.

5. Do you mail any packages to anyone during the year? No. If so, to who, and what?

6. What's the weather like where you live? Cold, 20’s, very windy today.

7. If the leaves put on a show where you live, when does the show peak? Around mid to late October.

8. How much snow, if any, do you average through the year? Not a lot anymore, maybe 2-5 feet of snow.

9. Where you live or where you have lived in the past, does it generally snow before the end of December? Yes.

Thank you!

Old 11-30-2022, 08:19 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,771 posts, read 81,730,333 times
1. How do you celebrate "the holidays?" Thanksgiving and Christmas we cook for extended family, 12-14 people. New Years Eve and day we do nothing different.

2. Do you have any decorations up in or outside your house and if so, what are they? Many lights all the way across the front and around the front door, and one air-fan display with Santa and some creatures on a train.

3. Did you put out any wintery holiday decorations before Thanksgiving if you are a US citizen? If yes, explain what and why. No, I only do one holiday at a time.

4. Do you send out holiday cards and if so, how many and when? No, haven't done those in many years.

5. Do you mail any packages to anyone during the year? If so, to who, and what? Normally no, but this year we did send a gift package to my sister in another state who just had surgery.

6. What's the weather like where you live? Currently warmer than yesterday at 34F, overcast, with 4" of snow on the ground.

7. If the leaves put on a show where you live, when does the show peak? Normally early November, but late this year, some leaves are still on and green but covered with snow.

8. How much snow, if any, do you average through the year? Probably 6", in 2-3 days of snow.

9. Where you live or where you have lived in the past, does it generally snow before the end of December? More often in February, but it's snowed as early as the week before Thanksgiving, and like this year, the week After Thanksgiving.

Old 11-30-2022, 08:26 AM

37,821 posts, read 41,136,907 times

1. How do you celebrate "the holidays?"
I don't anymore.

2. Do you have any decorations up in or outside your house and if so, what are they? No decorations. Too hard for me to physically do it.

3. Did you put out any wintery holiday decorations before Thanksgiving if you are a US citizen? If yes, explain what and why. No. See previous answer.

4. Do you send out holiday cards and if so, how many and when? Yes. About 5.

5. Do you mail any packages to anyone during the year? If so, to who, and what? I do send gifts via the mail but purchase them online and have the store wrap and send them to sister in Texas and friends in NY.

6. What's the weather like where you live? Right now it's 53 and cloudy and is expected to get up to 55. The pollen count is high.

7. If the leaves put on a show where you live, when does the show peak? Typically peaks the week of Halloween. This year was awful, probably the worst since I lived in this state. Both of these photos were taken on October 30, in prior years, at the lake in my town. You may notice that the college rowing team is in short sleeved tee shirts.

8. How much snow, if any, do you average through the year? Think I've mentioned before that I bought a new snow shovel to dig out my car before I left Maryland in 2007 and have yet to use it in Tennessee, 15 and a half plus years later. When it snows in my town overnight, you can still see the grass peeking through the snow the next morning and by that afternoon it's practically all melted. I have never seen a snow plow in my county but that could be because I'm retired and don't drive around if I don't have to. Closer to the Smoky Mountains, there is more snow but it's still not what I would call a lot of snow. We do get ice, though.

9. Where you live or where you have lived in the past, does it generally snow before the end of December? The last time I remember the snow it was Christmas Eve 12/24/20 but it does not typically snow before the end of the year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics