Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2022, 09:28 PM

21,718 posts, read 8,855,271 times

Advertisements

Welcome to Questions of the Day for Christmas Day, Sunday, December 25, 2022. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Capricorn. Some famous people born on this date include nurse and American Red Cross founder Clara Barton, hotel magnate Conrad Hilton, actor Humphrey Bogart, bandleader Cab Calloway, Egyptian president Anwar Sadat, author Carlos Castaneda, singers Barbara Mandrell, Jimmy Buffett and Annie Lennox; actress Sissy Spacek and Canadian prime minister Justin Trudeau.

Today’s Questions:
What was the best thing that happened to you in 2022? (Thanks to Jezer for the question.)

Will you be enjoying a special meal today? What will you be having?

For what in your life do you feel most grateful?

What are your top three positive qualities?

Do you ever look up old friends or classmates online? Have you ever reconnected with someone that way?

If you could be invisible for a day, what would you do?

Have you ever gotten really lost? What happened?

Today in History:
336 – First documentary sign of Christmas celebration in Rome.
800 – The coronation of Charlemagne as Holy Roman Emperor, in Rome.
1000 – The foundation of the Kingdom of Hungary: Hungary is established as a Christian kingdom by Stephen I of Hungary.
1025 – Coronation of Mieszko II Lambert as king of Poland.
1046 – Henry III is crowned Holy Roman Emperor by Pope Clement II.
1066 – William the Conqueror, Duke of Normandy, is crowned king of England at Westminster Abbey, London.
1100 – Baldwin of Boulogne is crowned the first King of Jerusalem in the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem.
1130 – Count Roger II of Sicily is crowned the first king of Sicily.
1492 – The carrack Santa María, commanded by Christopher Columbus, runs onto a reef off Haiti due to an improper watch.
1559 – Pope Pius IV is elected four months after his predecessor's death.
1758 – Halley's Comet is sighted by Johann Georg Palitzsch, confirming Edmund Halley's prediction of its passage. This was the first passage of a comet predicted ahead of time.[19]
1776 – George Washington and the Continental Army cross the Delaware River at night to attack Hessian forces serving Great Britain at Trenton, New Jersey, the next day.
1809 – Dr. Ephraim McDowell performs the first ovariotomy, removing a 22-pound tumor.
1814 – Rev. Samuel Marsden holds the first Christian service on land in New Zealand at Rangihoua Bay.
1815 – The Handel and Haydn Society, oldest continually performing arts organization in the United States, gives its first performance.
1831 – The Great Jamaican Slave Revolt begins; up to 20% of Jamaica's slaves mobilize in an ultimately unsuccessful fight for freedom.
1837 – Second Seminole War: American general Zachary Taylor leads 1,100 troops against the Seminoles at the Battle of Lake Okeechobee.
1868 – Pardons for ex-Confederates: United States President Andrew Johnson grants an unconditional pardon to all Confederate veterans.
1914 – A series of unofficial truces occur across the Western Front to celebrate Christmas.
1941 – Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, appointed commander of the U.S. Pacific Fleet on December 17, arrives at Pearl Harbor.
1941 – World War II: Battle of Hong Kong ends, beginning the Japanese occupation of Hong Kong.
1941 – Admiral Émile Muselier seizes the archipelago of Saint Pierre and Miquelon, which become the first part of France to be liberated by the Free French Forces.
1946 – The first European self-sustaining nuclear chain reaction is initiated within the Soviet Union's F-1 nuclear reactor.
1950 – The Stone of Scone, traditional coronation stone of British monarchs, is taken from Westminster Abbey by Scottish nationalist students. It later turns up in Scotland on April 11, 1951.
1962 – The Soviet Union conducts its final above-ground nuclear weapon test, in anticipation of the 1963 Partial Nuclear Test Ban Treaty.
1968 – Apollo program: Apollo 8 performs the first successful Trans-Earth injection (TEI) maneuver, sending the crew and spacecraft on a trajectory back to Earth from Lunar orbit.
1977 – Israeli Prime Minister Menachem Begin meets in Egypt with its president Anwar Sadat.
1989 – Romanian Revolution: Deposed President of Romania Nicolae Ceaușescu and his wife, Elena, are condemned to death and executed after a summary trial.
1991 – Mikhail Gorbachev resigns as President of the Soviet Union (the union itself is dissolved the next day). Ukraine's referendum is finalized and Ukraine officially leaves the Soviet Union.
2003 – The ill-fated Beagle 2 probe, released from the Mars Express spacecraft on December 19, stops transmitting shortly before its scheduled landing.
2004 – The Cassini orbiter releases Huygens probe which successfully landed on Saturn's moon Titan on January 14, 2005.
2019 – Twenty people are killed and thousands are left homeless by Typhoon Phanfone in the Philippines.
2021 – The James Webb Space Telescope is launched.

Word of the Day:
salient SAIL-yuntadjective
Standing out conspicuously; being prominent, or of notable significance
“The assignment was to write down the salient points from the article.”

Quote of the Day:
“Wrinkles will only go where the smiles have been.”
- Jimmy Buffett

Today Is:
Christmas Day
A’Phabet Day or “No L” Day
National Pumpkin Pie Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2022, 09:50 PM
bjh

60,440 posts, read 30,627,493 times
Today’s Questions:
What was the best thing that happened to you in 2022? (Thanks to Jezer for the question.)
That's hard to say.
Low key. Chicken and veg maybe. Maybe go out for Chinese.
Outside of family and friends: experiences, doing things and going places.
1. I'm more help than trouble.
2. I have a sense of humor.
I'm (reasonably) waterproof.
Do you ever look up old friends or classmates online? Have you ever reconnected with someone that way?
Have and have (and mostly drifted apart again. )
Not sure, since I'd have to walk around naked to make use of the situation.
A bit, a few times. Nothing much happened.

Old 12-24-2022, 11:30 PM

37,854 posts, read 41,239,913 times
Today’s Questions:
I have been able to recover 10 years of photo files...twice this year. It takes forever to recover large photos but at least you get them back.

Will you be enjoying a special meal today? What will you be having? Not special. Cheese ravioli.

For what in your life do you feel most grateful? To still be breathing.

What are your top three positive qualities? Not like for a job interview, right? I don't think I have any of the other kind.

Do you ever look up old friends or classmates online? Have you ever reconnected with someone that way? I researched a guy I knew in college just last year. I knew where he lived after he graduated and his real name as well as his radio name in college. I knew he had a radio show on a big station after he graduated and in what city. Unfortunately, I found his name in an obituary for his sister. He had apparently died before she did. It's easier to find men because they don't change their last names but it's really easier if their last name isn't common.

If you could be invisible for a day, what would you do? I have a pretty good idea but I think it would be wise to keep it to myself.

Have you ever gotten really lost? What happened? The worst time I got lost was at Christmas time in Maryland. It was so crowded you had to drive around and hope someone was pulling out to find a parking space anywhere at the mall. When I came out, I couldn't remember where I parked my car and I went out the wrong entrance of the one of the department stores in the mall to look for it. I was looking for my car on the total opposite side of the mall from where I parked it...which was why I couldn't find it. I knew I came in where men's clothes were but didn't realize there were 3 entrances in the department store with a type of men's clothing just inside the doors. I was never close enough to my car to have the red alarm button on my key fob work for me. Took about an hour to find it. Just had to go back in the department store and visualize exactly what men's clothing items I saw when I came in to find the door nearest to my car in the lot.

Merry Christmas everybody.

Old 12-24-2022, 11:43 PM

44,745 posts, read 62,066,529 times
Today’s Questions:

What was the best thing that happened to you in 2022? (Thanks to Jezer for the question.) Didn't get sick, sold 2 vehicles.

Will you be enjoying a special meal today? We're having a chuck roast with taters, carrots, onions, and other stuff and finishing it off with an apple pie.
What will you be having? See above.

For what in your life do you feel most grateful? Family, friends, no debts.

What are your top three positive qualities? Good caregiver, sense of humor, hard worker.

Do you ever look up old friends or classmates online? It's been years since most everyone I had been acquainted with has passed on.
Have you ever reconnected with someone that way? No, some classmates years ago tried to contact me but they never responded to my replies..

Have you ever gotten really lost? What happened? Never been lost, have a good sense of direction they say.

bay. Hope everyone has/had a great day.

Old 12-25-2022, 01:01 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,681,184 times
Today’s Questions:
----- Dunno. Remains to be seen how things will play out.

----- no

----- my wife.

----- Honesty, tolerance, anxiety-management

----- 20 years ago I did, when lt was still possible.

------- At my age I AM invisible.

------ Twice, traveling, too much to drink, late at night, forgot where I was staying or how to get there. Budapest and Casablanca. Put myself on auto-pilot and walked straight home.
Today in History:

Old 12-25-2022, 01:03 AM

126,465 posts, read 19,249,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Welcome to Questions of the Day for Christmas Day, Sunday, December 25, 2022. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Capricorn. Some famous people born on this date include nurse and American Red Cross founder Clara Barton, hotel magnate Conrad Hilton, actor Humphrey Bogart, bandleader Cab Calloway, Egyptian president Anwar Sadat, author Carlos Castaneda, singers Barbara Mandrell, Jimmy Buffett and Annie Lennox; actress Sissy Spacek and Canadian prime minister Justin Trudeau.

Today’s Questions:
What was the best thing that happened to you in 2022? (Thanks to Jezer for the question.).............Staying healthy

Will you be enjoying a special meal today? What will you be having?...........My family,three generations and I celebrated Christmas Eve with steamed rainbow trout,boiled potatoes, whipped horseradish and for the rest of the evening my homemade Christmas cookies and Glühwein

For what in your life do you feel most grateful?..........What wonderful parents I had whom I miss dearly and how blessed I am to have my whole family and now grandchildren

What are your top three positive qualities?............Loyal,reliable, and I always will have your back

Do you ever look up old friends or classmates online? Have you ever reconnected with someone that way?..........No I am in contact with longtime school friends

If you could be invisible for a day, what would you do?..............Watch Santa deliver the gifts to children around the world

Have you ever gotten really lost? What happened?.....Not yet

Today in History:
336 – First documentary sign of Christmas celebration in Rome.
800 – The coronation of Charlemagne as Holy Roman Emperor, in Rome.
1000 – The foundation of the Kingdom of Hungary: Hungary is established as a Christian kingdom by Stephen I of Hungary.
1025 – Coronation of Mieszko II Lambert as king of Poland.
1046 – Henry III is crowned Holy Roman Emperor by Pope Clement II.
1066 – William the Conqueror, Duke of Normandy, is crowned king of England at Westminster Abbey, London.
1100 – Baldwin of Boulogne is crowned the first King of Jerusalem in the Church of the Nativity in Bethlehem.
1130 – Count Roger II of Sicily is crowned the first king of Sicily.
1492 – The carrack Santa María, commanded by Christopher Columbus, runs onto a reef off Haiti due to an improper watch.
1559 – Pope Pius IV is elected four months after his predecessor's death.
1758 – Halley's Comet is sighted by Johann Georg Palitzsch, confirming Edmund Halley's prediction of its passage. This was the first passage of a comet predicted ahead of time.[19]
1776 – George Washington and the Continental Army cross the Delaware River at night to attack Hessian forces serving Great Britain at Trenton, New Jersey, the next day.
1809 – Dr. Ephraim McDowell performs the first ovariotomy, removing a 22-pound tumor.
1814 – Rev. Samuel Marsden holds the first Christian service on land in New Zealand at Rangihoua Bay.
1815 – The Handel and Haydn Society, oldest continually performing arts organization in the United States, gives its first performance.
1831 – The Great Jamaican Slave Revolt begins; up to 20% of Jamaica's slaves mobilize in an ultimately unsuccessful fight for freedom.
1837 – Second Seminole War: American general Zachary Taylor leads 1,100 troops against the Seminoles at the Battle of Lake Okeechobee.
1868 – Pardons for ex-Confederates: United States President Andrew Johnson grants an unconditional pardon to all Confederate veterans.
1914 – A series of unofficial truces occur across the Western Front to celebrate Christmas.
1941 – Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, appointed commander of the U.S. Pacific Fleet on December 17, arrives at Pearl Harbor.
1941 – World War II: Battle of Hong Kong ends, beginning the Japanese occupation of Hong Kong.
1941 – Admiral Émile Muselier seizes the archipelago of Saint Pierre and Miquelon, which become the first part of France to be liberated by the Free French Forces.
1946 – The first European self-sustaining nuclear chain reaction is initiated within the Soviet Union's F-1 nuclear reactor.
1950 – The Stone of Scone, traditional coronation stone of British monarchs, is taken from Westminster Abbey by Scottish nationalist students. It later turns up in Scotland on April 11, 1951.
1962 – The Soviet Union conducts its final above-ground nuclear weapon test, in anticipation of the 1963 Partial Nuclear Test Ban Treaty.
1968 – Apollo program: Apollo 8 performs the first successful Trans-Earth injection (TEI) maneuver, sending the crew and spacecraft on a trajectory back to Earth from Lunar orbit.
1977 – Israeli Prime Minister Menachem Begin meets in Egypt with its president Anwar Sadat.
1989 – Romanian Revolution: Deposed President of Romania Nicolae Ceaușescu and his wife, Elena, are condemned to death and executed after a summary trial.
1991 – Mikhail Gorbachev resigns as President of the Soviet Union (the union itself is dissolved the next day). Ukraine's referendum is finalized and Ukraine officially leaves the Soviet Union.
2003 – The ill-fated Beagle 2 probe, released from the Mars Express spacecraft on December 19, stops transmitting shortly before its scheduled landing.
2004 – The Cassini orbiter releases Huygens probe which successfully landed on Saturn's moon Titan on January 14, 2005.
2019 – Twenty people are killed and thousands are left homeless by Typhoon Phanfone in the Philippines.
2021 – The James Webb Space Telescope is launched.

Word of the Day:
salient SAIL-yuntadjective
Standing out conspicuously; being prominent, or of notable significance
“The assignment was to write down the salient points from the article.”

Quote of the Day:
“Wrinkles will only go where the smiles have been.”
- Jimmy Buffett

Today Is:
Christmas Day
A’Phabet Day or “No L” Day
National Pumpkin Pie Day

Thank you Bayarea and Merry Christmas to one and all!

Old 12-25-2022, 01:29 AM

13,004 posts, read 3,030,103 times
Enjoy the day!

Old 12-25-2022, 02:51 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,039,540 times
.....I found two different types of stinky cheese on sale for half price during one shopping trip.

.....Nothing special. Will have pork sausage, mashed potatoes with mushrooms mixed in, and some stuffing.

.....Besides family, graduating from college with not having any student loans is high on my list. Also, having the opportunity to travel all over the U.S. and the world.

.....My love of stinky cheese and cheap beer.
.....My common sense.
.....My lack of road rage

.....Not really.

.....A full day of playing practical jokes on friends.

.....I have not. I always leave a trail of bread crumbs so I can find my way home.

Old 12-25-2022, 03:17 AM

30,864 posts, read 16,487,167 times
Today’s Questions:
I survived. (close call a few months ago. My 1st post since)

Will you be enjoying a special meal today? What will you be having? not really. cube steak and sweet potatoes

For what in your life do you feel most grateful? doctors in the right place at the right time-friends who are always there, even if it's to tell you stop whining, naps and of course Pest the cat.

What are your top three positive qualities? I know I can't sing, can I count that as 3? cuz I really can't

nope. If we haven't kept up in50 yrs, I see no point in catching up

go looking for myself

Have you ever gotten really lost? What happened? yup-on an island in Maine..scared to tears. Finally found the parking lot by crossing some 'no trespassing' land

Merry Christmas everyone.

Old 12-25-2022, 04:03 AM

11,441 posts, read 9,384,526 times
Today’s Questions:
What was the best thing that happened to you in 2022? (Thanks to Jezer for the question.) - I can't really think of anything. Frankly the year was another disappointment.

Getting this part-time job has helped me tremendously but I'm pretty much doing it out of need so not a good feeling. Skills intact and learning very quickly has been a big confidence booster. I was out of the workforce for 2.5 years.

Will you be enjoying a special meal today? What will you be having? - It will be nothing special and I'm undecided. Today is just another day to me.

For what in your life do you feel most grateful? - Good health but I take care of myself and do a lot of things right as far as prevention goes...

What are your top three positive qualities? - I'm big on honesty. When I was dating and my former marriage I never cheated on anyone. Never stolen anything either. I feel I'm a good listener too and can offer helpful suggestions, someone good to talk to.

Do you ever look up old friends or classmates online? Have you ever reconnected with someone that way? - Not much interest in reconnecting. I only did this twice w/o results, last was about 5 years ago.

I can think of a few former friends, etc. who I do not wish to have any contact with. One of many reasons why I am not into social media. I'll never have a Facebook account and this is the main reason why.

If you could be invisible for a day, what would you do? - Maybe hang around the paddock area of Laurel Park, LOL.

Have you ever gotten really lost? What happened? - Nothing major...

Thanks, Bay!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics