Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2023, 05:17 AM

16,700 posts, read 17,472,206 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon Pam!

Have you ever had a phone conversation which lasted more than an hour?

Yes, on ones through FB or WhatsApp, that don't cost.

When did you last talk on the phone with someone you'd been out of contact for a long time?

After Christmas, to a distant realation in the UK.

Do you have a land phone line?

As of last week, no. We have just changed our original provider here in France for a cheaper, and better set up using various mobiles.

How late in the evening do you think is too late for someone to telephone you?

I think it depends on the time of year. Psychologically I find it difficult to phone someone when it is dark. As a general rule maybe not after 9pm?

Is your car equipped with hands-free phone operation?

Yes. It also has Apple Carplay. It works well, but I never phone, even hands free when driving.

Is there a public pay phone near your home? No, not at all.

If you attended college and lived in a dormitory, was there a phone in your room?

Have you ever dropped and consequently broken your cell phone? No

Do you have a current paper phone book for your area? No.

When did you last use a paper phone book? Probably when I was in LA many years ago.

What color is your cell phone? Dark blue iPhone 12 Mini. I love the Mini and they have stopped making them. Grrr.

Have you used FaceTime or its equivalent on your cell phone?

Do you remember the phone number at the home you grew up in? Yes- only three digits! Rural place in England.

Approximately how many people's phone numbers do you know from memory?

Back in my working days, I actually knew by heart around a hundred numbers of various contacts. I had a photographic memory for numbers. Not so good nowadays, and smartphones mean that I don't have to.

Thanks Pam!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2023, 05:25 AM

11,087 posts, read 17,586,859 times
Happy Valentine's Day! This is my favorite holiday because, for the last 67 years, it's also my birthday! My wife is taking me to Red Lobster for lunch to celebrate, if the wind doesn't blow us away. Calling for gusts up to 60 MPH during the day.

TODAY'S QUESTIONS

Have you ever had a phone conversation which lasted more than an hour? Not since my college days

When did you last talk on the phone with someone you'd been out of contact for a long time? Night before last

Do you have a land phone line? Nope

How late in the evening do you think is too late for someone to telephone you? We're up past midnight just about every night and we're used to a phone call from daughter in law on her beer pong night at a friend's house in Pa.

Is your car equipped with hands-free phone operation? Nope

Is there a public pay phone near your home? Nope

If you attended college and lived in a dormitory, was there a phone in your room? Yup

Have you ever dropped and consequently broken your cell phone? I haven't but my wife has

Do you have a current paper phone book for your area? I think it's stuck in a drawer somewhere

When did you last use a paper phone book? I have no idea

What color is your cell phone? Black

Have you used FaceTime or its equivalent on your cell phone? Nope. We do all that on hers

Do you remember the phone number at the home you grew up in? Yup

Approximately how many people's phone numbers do you know from memory? A few, but not many

Old 02-14-2023, 05:25 AM

11,391 posts, read 9,312,804 times
TODAY'S QUESTIONS

Have you ever had a phone conversation which lasted more than an hour? - Many times including with 2 different friends of mine recently.

When did you last talk on the phone with someone you'd been out of contact for a long time? - Summer, 2019. A fluke and brief as it was business related. It went off subject and we met up for pizza and a beer. It was fun but our interests changed. It never went past the one outing. We were out of touch for 30 years.

Do you have a land phone line? - No

How late in the evening do you think is too late for someone to telephone you? - It doesn't matter. My phone is turned off when I'm sleeping.

Is your car equipped with hands-free phone operation? - No. I don't use my phone much.

Is there a public pay phone near your home? - There isn't.

If you attended college and lived in a dormitory, was there a phone in your room? - N/A

Have you ever dropped and consequently broken your cell phone? - Once in 2008 when I had a flip phone. I accidently stepped on it when taking off my pants.

Do you have a current paper phone book for your area? - Don't.

When did you last use a paper phone book? - More than 20 years ago.

What color is your cell phone? - Black.

Have you used FaceTime or its equivalent on your cell phone? - Never.

Do you remember the phone number at the home you grew up in? - Yes. My memory is mostly intact.

Approximately how many people's phone numbers do you know from memory? - 3 who have had the same number for many years. I don't call that many on a regular basis and it doesn't matter because the numbers I call are stored.

That's all for now, folks. Have a fantastic Tuesday, and don't forget to commit an act of kindness. - Thanks, Pam!

Old 02-14-2023, 06:02 AM

126,326 posts, read 19,111,580 times

Valentines Day greetings, everyone! Happy Valentines Day

It's nearly 1 a.m. here and I'm beat. Before I fall asleep, I'd better get down to business with

TODAY'S QUESTIONS

Have you ever had a phone conversation which lasted more than an hour? Yes

When did you last talk on the phone with someone you'd been out of contact for a long time? A friend of my mothers called me the other day to check in and we talked about her life

Do you have a land phone line? Not anymore

How late in the evening do you think is too late for someone to telephone you? Unless it is an emergency,no later than 9 pm

Is your car equipped with hands-free phone operation? It was

Is there a public pay phone near your home? No

If you attended college and lived in a dormitory, was there a phone in your room? Myself I did not stay in a dormitory, but my kids had a phone in their room

Have you ever dropped and consequently broken your cell phone? Not yet

Do you have a current paper phone book for your area? No

When did you last use a paper phone book? It has been a long time ago

Have you used FaceTime or its equivalent on your cell phone? Yes whenever I call internationally or national

Do you remember the phone number at the home you grew up in? Too long ago

Approximately how many people's phone numbers do you know from memory? Just family

That's all for now, folks. Have a fantastic Tuesday, and don't forget to commit an act of kindness.

Thank you Pammy

Old 02-14-2023, 06:45 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,087,593 times
TODAY'S QUESTIONS

Yes, when I had a landline.

When did you last talk on the phone with someone you'd been out of contact for a long time? A few years ago before a friend in MD died.

Do you have a land phone line? No

How late in the evening do you think is too late for someone to telephone you? It doesn't matter. I turn my phone off when I'm not using it so they would leave a voicemail message except on nights when I have to set the alarm for the next morning. I don't have any relatives that live closer than Texas and friends here know I don't drive at night except to go around the corner, so no one would call me in an emergency and the ones who have lived here a long time do have relatives in the area.

Is your car equipped with hands-free phone operation? Never used it. Don't talk and drive. It is capable of it, I think. In the steering wheel is an image of a phone.

Is there a public pay phone near your home? No. I doubt if there was one when there weren't mobile phones (before I came here). This isn't a walkable type town. Maybe there were ones at gas stations.

If you attended college and lived in a dormitory, was there a phone in your room? No

Have you ever dropped and consequently broken your cell phone? One went swimming in the washing machine in a pants pocket and died but never dropped one that broke. Hope this isn't a QOTD jinx question.

Do you have a current paper phone book for your area? No

When did you last use a paper phone book? Assuming you mean a White Pages/Yellow Pages one, maybe 2007 when I first moved here. If you mean a personal paper phone/address book, I still use one, mostly for addresses and passwords but it is so old there are a few telephone numbers in it, too.

What color is your cell phone? black

Have you used FaceTime or its equivalent on your cell phone? I don't know what that is so, no. If you mean something like Zoom, I have on my tablet.

Do you remember the phone number at the home you grew up in? No

Approximately how many people's phone numbers do you know from memory? I really have to think when I'm asked my own phone number so no one's phone number.

Old 02-14-2023, 07:00 AM

7,253 posts, read 7,107,068 times
Valentines Day greetings, everyone!

It's nearly 1 a.m. here and I'm beat. Before I fall asleep, I'd better get down to business with

TODAY'S QUESTIONS

Sure

When did you last talk on the phone with someone you'd been out of contact for a long time?

Long time ago.

Do you have a land phone line?

No. No need.

How late in the evening do you think is too late for someone to telephone you?

After 10.

Is your car equipped with hands-free phone operation?

Yes.

Is there a public pay phone near your home?

I doubt it. Now I'm going to have to pay attention.

If you attended college and lived in a dormitory, was there a phone in your room?

Yes but that was a long time ago.

Have you ever dropped and consequently broken your cell phone?

No.

Do you have a current paper phone book for your area?

They publish a yellow pages. It goes right in the recycle bin. What a waste of paper.

When did you last use a paper phone book?

15 years, maybe more.

What color is your cell phone?

Deep green.

Have you used FaceTime or its equivalent on your cell phone?

No,

Do you remember the phone number at the home you grew up in?

Yes.

Approximately how many people's phone numbers do you know from memory?

That's all for now, folks. Have a fantastic Tuesday, and don't forget to commit an act of kindness.

Old 02-14-2023, 07:16 AM

7,387 posts, read 5,500,545 times
Valentines Day greetings, everyone! Happy Valentines Day!

TODAY'S QUESTIONS

Have you ever had a phone conversation which lasted more than an hour? Yes

When did you last talk on the phone with someone you'd been out of contact for a long time? Last month

Do you have a land phone line? No

How late in the evening do you think is too late for someone to telephone you? After 9pm

Is your car equipped with hands-free phone operation? Yes

Is there a public pay phone near your home? No

Do you have a current paper phone book for your area? Yes

When did you last use a paper phone book? It’s been a long time

Have you used FaceTime or its equivalent on your cell phone? Yes

Do you remember the phone number at the home you grew up in? Yes

Approximately how many people's phone numbers do you know from memory? Three

Old 02-14-2023, 07:32 AM

1,388 posts, read 624,944 times
Valentines Day greetings, everyone!

Happy St. Val's to you and everyone

TODAY'S QUESTIONS

Have you ever had a phone conversation which lasted more than an hour? Yes.

When did you last talk on the phone with someone you'd been out of contact for a long time? New Years

Do you have a land phone line? No. After many 'threats' from Verizon because we wanted to keep our land line they announced to everyone they will no longer service land lines in our area as they were no longer equipped to deal with the old cables, which if memory serves some pieces had copper.

How late in the evening do you think is too late for someone to telephone you? Unless it's an emergency, 6 PM. That said I cannot stand the phone ringing nor answering it, if I don't know the name/# on caller ID I do not pick up.

Is your car equipped with hands-free phone operation? Yes. But never use. I don't like to talk on the phone, home or vehicle.

Is there a public pay phone near your home? I walked by one last week. It was pretty beat up and not sure if it even works.

If you attended college and lived in a dormitory, was there a phone in your room? Not in the room, no.

Do you have a current paper phone book for your area? Yes

When did you last use a paper phone book?

Have you used FaceTime or its equivalent on your cell phone? No, but I have on the I-Pad

Do you remember the phone number at the home you grew up in? We didn't have a phone at home when growing up.

Approximately how many people's phone numbers do you know from memory? Not many

THX!

Enjoy the day, everyone. Hug your Valentines, that includes your furry, feathered and scaly pets.

Old 02-14-2023, 07:52 AM

5,608 posts, read 6,538,544 times
TODAY'S QUESTIONS

Have you ever had a phone conversation which lasted more than an hour? Yes.

When did you last talk on the phone with someone you'd been out of contact for a long time? Last month.

Do you have a land phone line? Kinda sorta. Not the old type landline. I have wireless phones that use cell towers. My elderly SIL said it confused her when I called and her phone said "cell call". I do call this my "house line". My mobile phone is for emergencies, personal friends and family, and travel issues only.

How late in the evening do you think is too late for someone to telephone you? 9:00 pm. Anything after that time kinda scares me for something being wrong.

Is your car equipped with hands-free phone operation? Yes.

Is there a public pay phone near your home? No.

If you attended college and lived in a dormitory, was there a phone in your room? N/A

Have you ever dropped and consequently broken your cell phone? No.

Do you have a current paper phone book for your area? Yes.

When did you last use a paper phone book? Years ago.

What color is your cell phone? Three color choices, white, black or red. I chose white.

Have you used FaceTime or its equivalent on your cell phone? I don't, my family tried but I put the kibosh on that.

Do you remember the phone number at the home you grew up in? I remember the exchange. I have been around long enough that I grew up with letters rather than numbers for the first 2 phone numbers.

Approximately how many people's phone numbers do you know from memory? I can count on 1 hand.

That's all for now, folks. Have a fantastic Tuesday, and don't forget to commit an act of kindness. Wishing you an enjoyable Valentines Day!

Old 02-14-2023, 07:57 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,687 posts, read 81,491,960 times
TODAY'S QUESTIONS

Have you ever had a phone conversation which lasted more than an hour? Years ago when in college and dating my now wife of 49 years.

When did you last talk on the phone with someone you'd been out of contact for a long time? Last Saturday, a friend from another state.

Do you have a land phone line? No, but we do have a VoIP line.

How late in the evening do you think is too late for someone to telephone you? 8:00pm

Is your car equipped with hands-free phone operation? Two of the 3 are, the other is a 1974.

Is there a public pay phone near your home? No, they were removed years ago.

If you attended college and lived in a dormitory, was there a phone in your room? N/A, I had an apartment.

Have you ever dropped and consequently broken your cell phone? I dropped my last one into the bottom of a lake while fishing, just last October.

Do you have a current paper phone book for your area? No, haven't seen a phone book since about 2007.

When did you last use a paper phone book? 2006

What color is your cell phone? Both Black (personal and work)

Have you used FaceTime or its equivalent on your cell phone? Yes

Do you remember the phone number at the home you grew up in? Yes, and it started with letters (AT) no area codes then.

Approximately how many people's phone numbers do you know from memory? 5
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics