Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2023, 09:41 PM

21,626 posts, read 8,787,204 times

Advertisements

Welcome to Questions of the Day for Sunday, February 19, 2023. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Pisces. Some famous people born on this date include singer Smokey Robinson, actors Jeff Daniels, Lee Marvin and Benicio del Toro; actresses Justine Bateman, Haylie Duff and Millie Bobby Brown; rocker Seal, British royal family member Prince Andrew, Duke of York and writers Carson McCullers and Amy Tan.

Today’s Questions:
What is something that nobody knows about you?

What was the first way you made money?

Would you rather be incarnated as a cat or a dog?

Name a food you’ll never eat.

What was the worst job you ever had?

Are you an early bird or a night owl?

If you could bring back any fashion trend, what would it be?

Today in History:
356 – The anti-paganism policy of Constantius II forbids the worship of pagan idols in the Roman Empire.
1600 – The Peruvian stratovolcano Huaynaputina explodes in the most violent eruption in the recorded history of South America
1674 – England and the Netherlands sign the Treaty of Westminster, ending the Third Anglo-Dutch War. A provision of the agreement transfers the Dutch colony of New Amsterdam to England.
1807 – Former Vice President of the United States Aaron Burr is arrested for treason in Wakefield, Alabama and confined to Fort Stoddert.
1819 – British explorer William Smith discovers the South Shetland Islands and claims them in the name of King George III.
1836 – King William IV signs Letters Patent establishing the Province of South Australia.
1846 – In Austin, Texas the newly formed Texas state government is officially installed. The Republic of Texas government officially transfers power to the State of Texas government following the annexation of Texas by the United States.
1847 – The first group of rescuers reaches the Donner Party.
1878 – Thomas Edison patents the phonograph.
1884 – More than sixty tornadoes strike the Southern United States, one of the largest tornado outbreaks in U.S. history.
1913 – Pedro Lascuráin becomes President of Mexico for 45 minutes; this is the shortest term to date of any person as president of any country.
1915 – World War I: The first naval attack on the Dardanelles begins when a strong Anglo-French task force bombards Ottoman artillery along the coast of Gallipoli.
1942 – World War II: Nearly 250 Japanese warplanes attack the northern Australian city of Darwin, killing 243 people.
1942 – World War II: United States President Franklin D. Roosevelt signs executive order 9066, allowing the United States military to relocate Japanese Americans to internment camps.
1945 – World War II: Battle of Iwo Jima: About 30,000 United States Marines land on the island of Iwo Jima.
1949 – Ezra Pound is awarded the first Bollingen Prize in poetry by the Bollingen Foundation and Yale University.
1953 – Book censorship in the United States: The Georgia Literature Commission is established. It consists of three members who meet monthly to investigate literature that they suspect to be “detrimental to the morals of the people of Georgia.” The commission was disbanded in 1973.
1954 – Transfer of Crimea: The Soviet Politburo of the Soviet Union orders the transfer of the Crimean Oblast from the Russian SFSR to the Ukrainian SSR.
1959 – The United Kingdom grants Cyprus independence, which is formally proclaimed on August 16, 1960.
1960 – China successfully launches the T-"The Feminine Mystique" reawakens the feminist movement in the United States as women's organizations and consciousness raising groups spread.
1965 – Colonel Phm Ngc Tho of the Army of the Republic of Vietnam, and a communist spy of the North Vietnamese Viet Minh, along with Generals Lâm Văn Phát and Trn Thin Khiêm, all Catholics, attempt a coup against the military junta of the Buddhist Nguyn Khánh.
1976 – Executive Order 9066, which led to the relocation of Japanese Americans to internment camps, is rescinded by President Gerald Ford's Proclamation 4417.
1978 – Egyptian forces raid Larnaca International Airport in an attempt to intervene in a hijacking, without authorization from the Republic of Cyprus authorities. The Cypriot National Guard and Police forces kill 15 Egyptian commandos and destroy the Egyptian C-130 transport plane in open combat.
1985 – William J. Schroeder becomes the first recipient of an artificial heart to leave the hospital.
2002 – NASA's Mars Odyssey space probe begins to map the surface of Mars using its thermal emission imaging system.
2011 – The debut exhibition of the Belitung shipwreck, containing the largest collection of Tang dynasty artifacts found in one location, begins in Singapore.

Word of the Day:
apotheosis /əˌpäTHēˈōsəs/ noun
the highest point in the development of something.
“his appearance as Hamlet was the apotheosis of his career.”

Quote of the Day:
“Our uniqueness makes us special, makes perception valuable - but it can also make us lonely. This loneliness is different from being 'alone': You can be lonely even surrounded by people. The feeling I'm talking about stems from the sense that we can never fully share the truth of who we are. I experienced this acutely at an early age.”
- Amy Tan

Today Is:
Iwo Jima Day
Best Friends Day
Coast Guard Reserves Birthday
International Tug-of-War Day
National Chocolate Mint Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2023, 09:45 PM

44,694 posts, read 61,850,766 times
Today’s Questions:
What is something that nobody knows about you? Age.

What was the first way you made money? Delivering newspapers.

Would you rather be incarnated as a cat or a dog? Neither.

Name a food you’ll never eat. Asparagus.

What was the worst job you ever had? Cleaning toilets.

Are you an early bird or a night owl? Hooty hoot night owl.

If you could bring back any fashion trend, what would it be? Pegged pants.

Old 02-18-2023, 09:47 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,618,961 times
Today’s Questions:
What is something that nobody knows about you? If I told you, then somebody would know about it! LOL

What was the first way you made money? Mowing yards. Loved getting that $3 by push mowing and trimming with hand clippers.

Would you rather be incarnated as a cat or a dog? Dog

Name a food you’ll never eat. Liver! I'll never eat fish bait!

What was the worst job you ever had? When I worked on the grounds crew at a local university, I worked on the garbage truck occasionally. This was back when you didn't have to put everything in bags and in the heat of summer, some of those cans were getting pretty ripe.

Are you an early bird or a night owl? Both. I'll stay up till 1 or 2 watching TV, then I'm up by 8 to fix my wife's breakfast

If you could bring back any fashion trend, what would it be? Cut off jeans that you cut off yourself and let them ravel.

Old 02-18-2023, 10:46 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,945,772 times
Today’s Questions:
I'm an open book with the people who know me best. For each thing I know about myself at least one other person knows it also.
Babysitting.
Cat, a badass cat.
Licorice!!!!
Cleaning campground bathrooms one summer; hard work and people are pigs.
Night Owl, especially since I retired.
Anything where people cover their fat. I cover mine and I sure as heck don't want to see yours. I'm guessing most people don't want to see the fat.

Thanks Bay!

Last edited by geebabe; 02-18-2023 at 10:57 PM..

Old 02-18-2023, 11:31 PM

62,089 posts, read 87,801,988 times
Welcome to Questions of the Day for Sunday, February 19, 2023. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Pisces. Some famous people born on this date include singer Smokey Robinson, actors Jeff Daniels, Lee Marvin and Benicio del Toro; actresses Justine Bateman, Haylie Duff and Millie Bobby Brown; rocker Seal, British royal family member Prince Andrew, Duke of York and writers Carson McCullers and Amy Tan.

Today’s Questions:

Sorry. I am not going to tell. It should remain a mystery

After l finished my education, l got a job in my profession. Didn't had to work before that.

Oh... I don't think i would like to be incarnated.

I try my best not to eat fried junk and ultra processed food. Not sure what other food l would include. I would try pretty much everything, even the weirdest ethnic food, as long it's considered for human consumption.
Funny thing happened to my friend - she accidentally served cat food on her party and her guests loved it...

Nothing comes to mind. I was/am very lucky selecting my jobs and loved them all. Should note that I am self employed/contractor, so I always had the freedom of working on my own terms.

Definitely a lifelong night owl. My brain function the best after midnight

Maybe the 50s, early 60s? Very feminine and elegant without being uncomfortable.

Today in History:
356 – The anti-paganism policy of Constantius II forbids the worship of pagan idols in the Roman Empire.
1600 – The Peruvian stratovolcano Huaynaputina explodes in the most violent eruption in the recorded history of South America
1674 – England and the Netherlands sign the Treaty of Westminster, ending the Third Anglo-Dutch War. A provision of the agreement transfers the Dutch colony of New Amsterdam to England.
1807 – Former Vice President of the United States Aaron Burr is arrested for treason in Wakefield, Alabama and confined to Fort Stoddert.
1819 – British explorer William Smith discovers the South Shetland Islands and claims them in the name of King George III.
1836 – King William IV signs Letters Patent establishing the Province of South Australia.
1846 – In Austin, Texas the newly formed Texas state government is officially installed. The Republic of Texas government officially transfers power to the State of Texas government following the annexation of Texas by the United States.
1847 – The first group of rescuers reaches the Donner Party.
1878 – Thomas Edison patents the phonograph.
1884 – More than sixty tornadoes strike the Southern United States, one of the largest tornado outbreaks in U.S. history.
1913 – Pedro Lascuráin becomes President of Mexico for 45 minutes; this is the shortest term to date of any person as president of any country.
1915 – World War I: The first naval attack on the Dardanelles begins when a strong Anglo-French task force bombards Ottoman artillery along the coast of Gallipoli.
1942 – World War II: Nearly 250 Japanese warplanes attack the northern Australian city of Darwin, killing 243 people.
1942 – World War II: United States President Franklin D. Roosevelt signs executive order 9066, allowing the United States military to relocate Japanese Americans to internment camps.
1945 – World War II: Battle of Iwo Jima: About 30,000 United States Marines land on the island of Iwo Jima.
1949 – Ezra Pound is awarded the first Bollingen Prize in poetry by the Bollingen Foundation and Yale University.
1953 – Book censorship in the United States: The Georgia Literature Commission is established. It consists of three members who meet monthly to investigate literature that they suspect to be “detrimental to the morals of the people of Georgia.” The commission was disbanded in 1973.
1954 – Transfer of Crimea: The Soviet Politburo of the Soviet Union orders the transfer of the Crimean Oblast from the Russian SFSR to the Ukrainian SSR.
1959 – The United Kingdom grants Cyprus independence, which is formally proclaimed on August 16, 1960.
1960 – China successfully launches the T-"The Feminine Mystique" reawakens the feminist movement in the United States as women's organizations and consciousness raising groups spread.
1965 – Colonel Phạm Ngọc Thảo of the Army of the Republic of Vietnam, and a communist spy of the North Vietnamese Viet Minh, along with Generals Lâm Văn Phát and Trần Thiện Khiêm, all Catholics, attempt a coup against the military junta of the Buddhist Nguyễn Khánh.
1976 – Executive Order 9066, which led to the relocation of Japanese Americans to internment camps, is rescinded by President Gerald Ford's Proclamation 4417.
1978 – Egyptian forces raid Larnaca International Airport in an attempt to intervene in a hijacking, without authorization from the Republic of Cyprus authorities. The Cypriot National Guard and Police forces kill 15 Egyptian commandos and destroy the Egyptian C-130 transport plane in open combat.
1985 – William J. Schroeder becomes the first recipient of an artificial heart to leave the hospital.
2002 – NASA's Mars Odyssey space probe begins to map the surface of Mars using its thermal emission imaging system.
2011 – The debut exhibition of the Belitung shipwreck, containing the largest collection of Tang dynasty artifacts found in one location, begins in Singapore.

Word of the Day:
apotheosis /əˌpäTHēˈōsəs/ noun
the highest point in the development of something.
“his appearance as Hamlet was the apotheosis of his career.”

Quote of the Day:
“Our uniqueness makes us special, makes perception valuable - but it can also make us lonely. This loneliness is different from being 'alone': You can be lonely even surrounded by people. The feeling I'm talking about stems from the sense that we can never fully share the truth of who we are. I experienced this acutely at an early age.”
- Amy Tan

Today Is:
Iwo Jima Day
Best Friends Day

^^^^^ super interesting, as always!!!
Thank you Bayarea! Have a great Sunday, peeps!!

Last edited by elnina; 02-19-2023 at 12:00 AM..

Old 02-18-2023, 11:40 PM

37,820 posts, read 41,132,981 times
Today’s Questions:
I don't know what other people know.

What was the first way you made money? Losing teeth - Tooth Fairy

Would you rather be incarnated as a cat or a dog? Dog

Name a food you’ll never eat. Any kind of seafood. I would say lima beans but you never know when it's going to be sneaked into some soup or stew.

What was the worst job you ever had? Looking up information on microfilm all day. Only had it for 3 months. It's not that it was an awful job. It's just that all of my other jobs were better. On second thought, waitressing after school at a lunch counter and some Saturdays in a Five and Dime. Not a person who likes to interact with the public, especially when it comes to food.

Are you an early bird or a night owl? I don't know anymore. At home I stay up until 2:00A (but I'm not outdoors that late) or later but when I'm on vacation, I literally get up with the birds so I can be at my destination when the sun rises. Before I retired I was definitely a morning person.

If you could bring back any fashion trend, what would it be? Poor Boy shirts from the 1960s. Used to wear them with miniskirts but would have no problem wearing them with pants, nowadays. Also liked macramé shoulder bags from the 1960s.

Old 02-19-2023, 01:00 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,643,368 times

Today’s Questions:
----- I used to wear desert-boots

---- Loading clay pigeons at a trap-shooting range.

----- Cat

----- I was gonna say pablum, but you never know. Horse meat, I keep asking for it, but nobody wants to go to jail for selling in the land of the free.

----- Waiter. Two days.

------ Early

----- I liked wearing desert-boots. OK, now everybody knows.

Today

Old 02-19-2023, 01:30 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,420,530 times
Good Morning

Today’s Questions:
What is something that nobody knows about you? I am very sensitive.

What was the first way you made money? Babysitting. I have always enjoyed earning my own money. The babysitting gig was with a family that I am still friends with today.

Would you rather be incarnated as a cat or a dog? A dog to a very good family.

Name a food you’ll never eat. Oysters

What was the worst job you ever had? I aways say working in a low end factory was the worst and best job I ever had. It taught me humility. It taught me to appreciate those who make my clothes, shoes, cars, etc.

Are you an early bird or a night owl? Early bird

Today in History:

1960 – China successfully launches the T-"The Feminine Mystique" reawakens the feminist movement in the United States as women's

Thanks for the history lesson Bay!

Quote of the Day:
- Amy Tan

Today Is:
Iwo Jima Day
Best Friends Day

Enjoy the day!

Old 02-19-2023, 03:14 AM

11,410 posts, read 9,335,326 times
Today’s Questions:
What is something that nobody knows about you? - Maybe that I actually hate living alone even though I have done so most of my adult life including now.

What was the first way you made money? - Delivering local store advertisements door to door.

Would you rather be incarnated as a cat or a dog? - If it were possible I'll choose to stay dead.

Name a food you’ll never eat. - That's a very long list! To name a few off the top sushi was the first thing that popped into my head. Anything with caffeine in it and most meat too.

What was the worst job you ever had? - I saw the worst of what humanity has to offer when I was a service adviser at a car dealer repair shop at the end of 2019 until the pandemic hit. Everyone has a breaking point and I reached mine. I didn't work for 2.5 years after that horrid experience which was made much worse by having a rotten to the core boss who admitted to me that he is (obviously abbreviated) an "a-hole."

Are you an early bird or a night owl? - Early.

If you could bring back any fashion trend, what would it be? - None, and FWIW I'd like to get rid of today's fashion which I feel is the worst ever.

Thanks, Bay!

Last edited by John13; 02-19-2023 at 03:27 AM.. Reason: changed answer

Old 02-19-2023, 04:13 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,024,159 times
Today’s Questions:
***When I was 7 years old and had rheumatic fever, I had to stay inside at home for most of a year. And of course, given the choice of playing outside or going over to the sick kid's house, other kids always picked playing outside. I spent a lot of time playing cards and board games by myself. When playing cards I would deal 3 hands and play all 3 hands pretending not to know what was in the other hands.

***Looking under the couch cushions for change that fell out of my dad's pocket.

***Cat

***Beets

***Have had several. Working for a janitorial service company. Working as a dishwasher. Helping someone build a house. (I quit after 4 days).

***It is currently 3 am and I have yet to go to bed.

***The miniskirt
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics