Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2023, 12:38 AM

16,659 posts, read 17,424,883 times

Advertisements

Greetings all from SW France.

Rainroosty is not here today and I volunteered to stand in. Best wishes to him.

I'm a Brit who has spent most of my life living in the UK, though I have lived and worked in the US, worked around the UK and Europe and have been living in France the last six years.

Given all that I will put a more international flavour (taht's how I spell it!) to things.

Have you ever travelled abroad? Whether you have or not, is there somewhere outside N America that you would like to visit?

What would excite you about travelling abroad? What would worry you?

What is your favourite part of the US, or your home country, if living somewhere else?

How are your foreign language skills?

Any favourite foreign food?

How would driving a right hand drive, stick shift car, on the 'other side of the road' in the UK suit you?

I think that's enough and I look forward to seeing your replies.

Here's a shot taken from our place, and shows why we love it here. Feel free to show any home or travel photos.

Questions of The Day Friday March 3rd.-a9.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2023, 12:47 AM

44,621 posts, read 61,584,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post

I'm a Brit who has spent most of my life living in the UK, though I have lived and worked in the US, worked around the UK and Europe and have been living in France the last six years.

Given all that I will put a more international flavour (taht's how I spell it!) to things.

Have you ever travelled abroad? Yes. Whether you have or not, is there somewhere outside N America that you would like to visit? Switzerland.

What would excite you about travelling abroad? Meeting new people, adventures, cultures. What would worry you? Nothing, never had any worries before in traveling abroad.

What is your favourite part of the US, or your home country, if living somewhere else? I like the southwest for it's scenery and weather.

How are your foreign language skills? Mediocre.

Any favourite foreign food? French, Italian, Mexican, Chinese are my favorites.

How would driving a right hand drive, stick shift car, on the 'other side of the road' in the UK suit you? No problem here.

Here's a shot taken from our place, and shows why we love it here. Feel free to show any home or travel photos.

Attachment 242183
Nice job Jezer

Old 03-03-2023, 12:54 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,382,942 times
Bonjour!

Have you ever travelled abroad? Yes, many times. Whether you have or not, is there somewhere outside N America that you would like to visit? Hopefully my next trip is to Japan

What would excite you about travelling abroad? I love experiencing new surroundings, new Cultures, people watching. What would worry you? No time to worry

What is your favourite part of the US, or your home country, if living somewhere else? The US is so diverse. I have no favorites.

How are your foreign language skills? Not very good! I appreciate those that speak English in other Countries!

Any favourite foreign food? Not food. Cappuccino in European Countries!

How would driving a right hand drive, stick shift car, on the 'other side of the road' in the UK suit you? I could handle driving on the right hand side, turning onto a road would take some brain power to stay on the correct side--but using my left hand for the shift! That would be challenging!

Au revoir!

Old 03-03-2023, 01:52 AM

21,533 posts, read 8,718,127 times
Quote:
Bonjour from the Left Coast!

Quote:
I second that emotion.

Have you ever travelled abroad? Whether you have or not, is there somewhere outside N America that you would like to visit?
I have visited Mexico, Canada, The Netherlands, France, Belgium, Luxembourg and Switzerland. I would like to visit the U.K. and Germany and see France and Switzerland again.
It would be exciting to see new places and meet new people. What would worry me would be not knowing the language well enough to converse fluently or understand what is being said to me.
What is your favourite part of the US, or your home country, if living somewhere else?
I have always loved San Francisco for its coastal setting, its scenery, its history, its landmarks and the many fun things there are to do here.
Not very good. I know a smattering of French and even less German, Italian and Spanish.
Italian, Tex-Mex, French.
How would driving a right hand drive, stick shift car, on the 'other side of the road' in the UK suit you?
Oh, dear. That would take a great deal of getting used to, but I might be able to manage.

Attachment 242183[/quote]

Thanks, Jezer! And thanks for filling in for Roosty.
This is my backyard (back garden to you):
Attached Thumbnails
Questions of The Day Friday March 3rd.-img_0003.jpg  

Old 03-03-2023, 03:27 AM

11,364 posts, read 9,277,086 times
Have you ever travelled abroad? Whether you have or not, is there somewhere outside N America that you would like to visit? - I've heard a lot of good things about Finland...

Except for Canada one time I've never been outside of the United States.

What would excite you about travelling abroad? What would worry you? - Language for sure, unless they are English speaking like Australia.

I do not have much interest anyway. Better things to do with the money it would take...

What is your favourite part of the US, or your home country, if living somewhere else? - Of the places I've been to I like Vermont and New Hampshire.

How are your foreign language skills? - Not good. I know a little French but won't be able to have a conversation.

Any favourite foreign food? - Indian is my favorite cuisine.

How would driving a right hand drive, stick shift car, on the 'other side of the road' in the UK suit you? - I can drive a stick shift but as poster GiGi said above...

Thanks for filling in, Jezer!

Old 03-03-2023, 04:32 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,595,151 times
----- Yes I have. Next trip was to be Papua New Guinea but medical and Covid intervened

----- I don't worry a out anything when I travel. Just keep your wits, everything works itself out.

----- Open spaces, rural towns, good people.

----- None fluent but can handle travel needs in Sp, Ft. Ger.

--- Duro wat, Couscous. Beshbarmek, Mexican.

----- Done it many times. Roundabouts are a little dicey.

A9.JPG

Old 03-03-2023, 05:28 AM

30,490 posts, read 16,202,768 times
Quote:

agree. hopefully he's ok and thanks for subbing

Given all that I will put a more international flavour (that's how I spell it!) to things.

yes, France, Greece, Great Britian
would like to go to Australia but it'd take too long. I'd love to see a platypus. and a wombat. and maybe a koala or 2.

seeing and experiencing the differences-I'd worry I might do something acceptable in our culture but insulting to them.

New England, especially Downeast Maine

lousy

not really.

might take getting used to but I could do it. if everyone stayed out of my way.

Thanks, Jezer

Attachment 242183
looks almost like north east PA.
and north east PA is very beautiful.

Last edited by PAhippo; 03-03-2023 at 06:23 AM..

Old 03-03-2023, 06:25 AM

7,364 posts, read 5,478,782 times

I’ve been on cruises to mostly Caribbean islands. I’ve been to Mexico a few times.
I’m traveling for the first time to London next month. We are also spending a few days in Paris. This is my first time to UK and Europe. I’m very excited about this trip!

What would excite you about travelling abroad? What would worry you? I want to see all the main tourist attractions. I worry about getting robbed.

What is your favourite part of the US, or your home country, if living somewhere else? I like living in the US for no particular reason, it’s my home.

How are your foreign language skills? Not very good, a little Spanish.

Any favourite foreign food? Mexican

How would driving a right hand drive, stick shift car, on the 'other side of the road' in the UK suit you? I couldn’t do it.

Attachment 242183[/quote]

Thank you and Cheers!

Old 03-03-2023, 06:26 AM

126,266 posts, read 19,034,903 times
Quote:

Have you ever travelled abroad? Yes I have travelled around the world Whether you have or not, is there somewhere outside N America that you would like to visit? My plan is to visit New Zealand and Australia

What would excite you about travelling abroad? See the wonders of the world,the people,diverse culture,the local food What would worry you? Catching Covid

What is your favourite part of the US, or your home country, if living somewhere else? I love the Canadian Rockies,the West Coast of British Columbia

How are your foreign language skills? I speak a few foreign languages

Any favourite foreign food? Moroccan,Italian,French and Greek cuisine ( I cook German cuisine and Punjabi cuisine always at home)

How would driving a right hand drive, stick shift car, on the 'other side of the road' in the UK suit you? I wouldn't drive myself

Attachment 242183
Thank you Jezer/Herzlichen Dank for filling in for roosty

Old 03-03-2023, 06:43 AM

1,365 posts, read 611,903 times

Good Morning, regards to Mr Roosty and his beloved kitty.

Have you ever travelled abroad? Yes. Whether you have or not, is there somewhere outside N America that you would like to visit? Australia, in particular Tasmania to view the Australis Borealis/Southern Lights. Egypt and Jordan but the breakouts of instability makes it a no go for now, if ever.

What would excite you about travelling abroad? I suffer Fernweh, the COVID quarantine was torturous so anytime going abroad excites me. What would worry you? Being of a certain age it would be falling ill and no one understands my symptoms due to language, plus social/political instability.

What is your favourite part of the US, or your home country, if living somewhere else? We are dual NY/NJ residents. My favorite place is the Catskill Mountains, NY which aren't really mountains but a dissected plateau. https://education.nationalgeographic...ource/plateau/

I don't know how to post pictures, but the Fall season is spectacular in the Catskills. This is almost identical to how our driveway looks in the Fall, the only difference it's ours is on a slight downward slope. Besides that the mountains are carpeted blazing with color:
https://www.syracuse.com/resizer/B4M...NWAZJX6NCQ.JPG

How are your foreign language skills? Fluent in 2 languages.

Any favourite foreign food? Spain, except goose barnacles.

How would driving a right hand drive, stick shift car, on the 'other side of the road' in the UK suit you? My wife is a master at driving a stick shift, I leave the driving to her. She's left handed so the right hand gets her a bit nervous. She swiped a gentleman riding a bicycle in Scotland while driving in one of their tight small-town roads she stopped the car in spite of the traffic behind and asked the man if he was OK or hurt. He was rather shocked at the gesture saying it's normal to get swiped by a car what is not normal is the driver stopping and ask if I was OK. I found that funny. I guess one had to be there to see the look on the guys face and wondering if the woman rushing out of the car was going to beat him up

THX!, Profitez de votre journée

Good weekend, everyone. If the snow is coming by you, again, stay safe and warm as we wait for March to go out as a lamb
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics