Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2023, 07:12 PM

12,406 posts, read 2,977,798 times

Advertisements

What are your biggest, heaviest pieces of furniture or large appliances?

Have you had a truck come out to pick up large items for donation rather than move them yourself?

What's the last large item you took out to the curb or dumpster?

What's the last large item delivered to your home?

Do you ever tip such delivery men?

Do you ever offer workers at your home something like a cold drink on a hot day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2023, 07:22 PM

61,834 posts, read 87,292,973 times

Wall entertainment unit, 8' dresser, French door refrigerator.

Have you had a truck come out to pick up large items for donation rather than move them yourself?

Just rolled them out to the curb and they magically disappeared shortly after.

Sofa, refrigerator

Sofa

If they do extra work, yes.

Do you ever offer workers at your home something like a cold drink on a hot day?

Always.

Thank you, PegE!! Wishing all a happy weekend!!

Old 09-22-2023, 07:33 PM

44,376 posts, read 20,086,203 times
What are your biggest, heaviest pieces of furniture or large appliances? Dining room table; dining room server/hutch combo; refrigerator.

Have you had a truck come out to pick up large items for donation rather than move them yourself? No. I've never donated a large enough item that needed to be moved on a truck. When I've had to replace inoperable appliances, the folks who delivered the new ones took away the old ones.

What's the last large item you took out to the curb or dumpster? About 10 years ago, I put an old, beat-up table out by the curb in front of my house. A scavenger picked it up less than an hour later.

What's the last large item delivered to your home? Refrigerator, in late 2018.

Do you ever tip such delivery men? Not always. It depends on whether they do a good job. Twice, I've had delivery people damage a large item while moving it into my house. No tips for them. My server was damaged so badly that they had to put it back on the truck and I had to order another one.

Do you ever offer workers at your home something like a cold drink on a hot day? Yes. When contractors are here, I always offer them coffee or water.

Thanks for the questions, PegE!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 09-22-2023, 07:37 PM

11,378 posts, read 9,296,826 times
What are your biggest, heaviest pieces of furniture or large appliances? - Heaviest by far is my king size bed.

Have you had a truck come out to pick up large items for donation rather than move them yourself? - When my ex and I broke up, after we divided what we had. I got rid of most of it and paid a company to do so.

What's the last large item you took out to the curb or dumpster? - My old chair. If I had another 8 inches here I could have kept it.

What's the last large item delivered to your home? - My bed in 2012.

Do you ever tip such delivery men? - I tip the movers. I never did tip anyone else but the deliveries have been very few.

Do you ever offer workers at your home something like a cold drink on a hot day? - I bought Gatorade for the last movers when I asked if they wanted something to drink. They were unprepared for some reason.

Thanks, Peg!

Old 09-22-2023, 08:18 PM

21,560 posts, read 8,739,775 times
I'd say it's a three-way tie between the desk, the refrigerator and the sofa.
I move them myself.
Nothing larger than the trash bins.
None of the deliveries have been that large, but I'm hoping to buy a sofa soon.
Yes, I do.
Yes, I do.

Thanks, PegE!

Old 09-22-2023, 09:00 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,052,604 times
What are your biggest, heaviest pieces of furniture or large appliances? Both the bed (very heavy clunky pine) and the sofa (can't even push move it).

Have you had a truck come out to pick up large items for donation rather than move them yourself? I let Junk Bee Gone (TN) and Got Junk (MD) take the items and donate them. Junk Bee Gone told me the name of the charity. Got Junk was too long ago (17+ years) to remember.

What's the last large item you took out to the curb or dumpster? Tall awkward boxes but not heavy, taken out last Sunday.

What's the last large item delivered to your home? Cases of water I had to drag in were the heaviest but the boxes of oversized photos I sent out to be printed were the largest, even though they were light.

Do you ever tip such delivery men? We're talking UPS and FedEx. No.

Do you ever offer workers at your home something like a cold drink on a hot day? The maintenance men live in the complex. The computer guys I offer a drink hot or cold days.

Old 09-22-2023, 10:03 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,562,680 times
What are your biggest, heaviest pieces of furniture or large appliances? Refrigerator, dresser, day bed

Have you had a truck come out to pick up large items for donation rather than move them yourself? I called them

What's the last large item you took out to the curb or dumpster? Small entertainment center. It was gone before the garbage truck made the rounds.

What's the last large item delivered to your home? Refrigerator

Do you ever tip such delivery men? Nope

Do you ever offer workers at your home something like a cold drink on a hot day? Yup. Even though I know they have gallon water coolers on the equipment, I dropped off a case of cold bottles of water to a blacktopping crew. I worked with that stuff for 20+ years and know what it's like to work with it.

Old 09-22-2023, 10:39 PM

14,787 posts, read 8,129,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PegE View Post
French door fridge, washing machine and dryer, entertainment center
Yes but it's been awhile
Sofa and office chair
Big Screen TV
Depends on variables....FED EX and UPS No
Thanks for the questions!

Old 09-23-2023, 12:01 AM

44,645 posts, read 61,677,004 times
What are your biggest, heaviest pieces of furniture or large appliances? Refrigerator, bed, desk, washer/dryer.

Have you had a truck come out to pick up large items for donation rather than move them yourself? No.

What's the last large item you took out to the curb or dumpster? n/a, illegal here.

What's the last large item delivered to your home? Refrigerator.

Do you ever tip such delivery men? Generally no unless they do something special that they are not already paid to do.

Do you ever offer workers at your home something like a cold drink on a hot day? Always.

Old 09-23-2023, 03:41 AM
bjh

60,110 posts, read 30,428,674 times
Entertainment center, sofa bed, dining room table, drawer set, fridge, stove.
Not yet.
A recliner. Dragged it out there less than an hour before pickup and saw it loaded.
HVAC replacement a few years ago.
Affirmative.
Do you ever offer workers at your home something like a cold drink on a hot day?[/quote]
Always. Usually a canned drink. It's obvious they're sealed.

Thanks, PegE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics