Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2023, 07:20 AM

14,870 posts, read 8,191,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
THE QUESTIONS

Hello QOTDers! This may look like a long QOTD but most of the questions can be answered with one or two words.

**Did you know that spiders, scorpions, mites and ticks aren’t insects? They are arachnids. All arachnids have 8 legs and they don’t have antennae. Where I live this is a good time (cool mornings and webs usually gone by warmer mid-morning) to see spider webs outdoors.
You learn something new everyday! I did know spiders were arachnids...didn't know about the others.

**Have you ever seen a spider web (not a cobweb) outdoors in your town?
**If yes, where in your town? Bushes
**If yes, was the spider in the web? IDK

**Did you know arachnophobia is the most common phobia in the world? No, but I am not too surprised.
**If like me, you didn’t know, what did you think was the most common phobia in the world?
I would guess fear of heights or claustrophobia.
**In keeping with the theme of this QOTD, can you guess what I am describing below?

“Powerful, erratic, frequently vicious animals with a large mouthful of pointy teeth that can do significant harm if they bite you.” No thumbs. Strong tail.
Alligator or crocodile maybe?
There is a a very short (2 minutes 50 seconds) National Geographic YouTube video on the subject of the description above, if you are interested.

**Have you ever been bitten by someone or something that isn’t an insect or an arachnid? What?
No real bites....a few playful nips by the kitties maybe.
**Do you know who The Spiders From Mars were?
Rings a bell. I think they were a band.
**Read, see or recite any of the following?

Charlotte’s Web? <--------this years ago
Little Miss Muffett?<--------this years ago
The Teensy Weensy Spider?<--------this years ago
The John Goodman movie Arachnophobia?
The book (James Patterson) or Alex Cross/Morgan Freeman psychological thriller movie Along Came A Spider? <------This.
The Spider-man movies or Spider-man comic books?
The 1987 thriller movie Black Widow with Debra Winger and Theresa Russell?<-----this
The 1985 William Hurt movie drama, book or play Kiss of the Spider Woman?
The 2002 movie Eight Legged Freaks with David Arquette?

OTHER

**When do you shut off your phone?
Every now and then.
**If the federal/central government in your country shuts down, are you personally impacted at all? How?
I think I will still get a social security check...I think they shut down federal parks/forests, so I don't think I will be able to go to them.....not sure how they could keep people away from the Red River Gorge or Daniel Boone National Forest though....or Yellowstone or Rocky Mountain National Park etc.

Just an old tune by Jim Stafford you can listen to while answering the QOTD. Have you ever heard it (Spiders and Snakes) before?
Yes I have heard that song!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOs1w3zzWCQ
Thanks for the questions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2023, 07:44 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,270,019 times
**Did you know that spiders, scorpions, mites and ticks aren’t insects? They are arachnids. All arachnids have 8 legs and they don’t have antennae. Where I live this is a good time (cool mornings and webs usually gone by warmer mid-morning) to see spider webs outdoors.

I think borseshoe crabs are arachnids which is horrible to think of. I avoid spiders and spider webs.

**Have you ever seen a spider web (not a cobweb) outdoors in your town? Yes, I have seen many.
**If yes, where in your town? I have lived in NE Texas for a long time but prior to that, I have seen many spider webs throughout the world. Mostly in my yard is where I have seen the webs.

**If yes, was the spider in the web? Many times.

**Did you know arachnophobia is the most common phobia in the world? I knew it was common but didn't know it was THE most common phobia!
**If like me, you didn’t know, what did you think was the most common phobia in the world? Bugs in general. I looked it up - it's entomophobia. I have an extreme phobia of anything that can crawl on me. Or jump on me, which some spiders will do.
Augh!

**In keeping with the theme of this QOTD, can you guess what I am describing below?

“Powerful, erratic, frequently vicious animals with a large mouthful of pointy teeth that can do significant harm if they bite you.” No thumbs. Strong tail. Scorpions?

There is a a very short (2 minutes 50 seconds) National Geographic YouTube video on the subject of the description above, if you are interested. Not!

**Have you ever been bitten by someone or something that isn’t an insect or an arachnid? Yes. What? A dog (a German Shepherd). Also , a skunk. Probably a cat too but I don't recall it.

**Do you know who The Spiders From Mars were? No, sounds like a movie.

Charlotte’s Web? Read it but never seen the movie.
Little Miss Muffett? I've read it and can recite it.
The Teensy Weensy Spider? Read it, sung it, and can sing it along with the motions!
The John Goodman movie Arachnophobia? Heck no.
The book (James Patterson) or Alex Cross/Morgan Freeman psychological thriller movie Along Came A Spider? Seen it but not read it.
The Spider-man movies or Spider-man comic books? The Spider Man cartoon was always one of my favorites!
The 1987 thriller movie Black Widow with Debra Winger and Theresa Russell? Seen it.
The 1985 William Hurt movie drama, book or play Kiss of the Spider Woman? I have seen the movie.
The 2002 movie Eight Legged Freaks with David Arquette? Never seen it.

**When do you shut off your phone? I put it on silent at night but I rarely shut it completely down, other than to just restart it.

**If the federal/central government in your country shuts down, are you personally impacted at all? Sure. How? I doubt I would receive my SS direct deposit, for starters. Also, my son is in the military and he might not get paid. And my brother is on disability and might not get paid either.

Just an old tune by Jim Stafford you can listen to while answering the QOTD. Have you ever heard it (Spiders and Snakes) before? Yes, I've heard it before.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 09-25-2023 at 07:58 AM..

Old 09-25-2023, 07:46 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,771 posts, read 81,689,431 times
THE QUESTIONS

**Have you ever seen a spider web (not a cobweb) outdoors in your town? Goodness, all over the place this time of year! We call fall "Spider Season"
**If yes, where in your town? In my own yard
**If yes, was the spider in the web? Almost always

**Did you know arachnophobia is the most common phobia in the world? No
**If like me, you didn’t know, what did you think was the most common phobia in the world? Height

**In keeping with the theme of this QOTD, can you guess what I am describing below? Alligator?

“Powerful, erratic, frequently vicious animals with a large mouthful of pointy teeth that can do significant harm if they bite you.” No thumbs. Strong tail.

There is a a very short (2 minutes 50 seconds) National Geographic YouTube video on the subject of the description above, if you are interested.

**Have you ever been bitten by someone or something that isn’t an insect or an arachnid? What? Dog, cat.

**Do you know who The Spiders From Mars were? No

**Read, see or recite any of the following? None of them.

Charlotte’s Web?
Little Miss Muffett?
The Teensy Weensy Spider?
The book (James Patterson) or Alex Cross/Morgan Freeman psychological thriller movie Along Came A Spider?
The 1987 thriller movie Black Widow with Debra Winger and Theresa Russell?

OTHER

**When do you shut off your phone? At bedtime.

**If the federal/central government in your country shuts down, are you personally impacted at all? How? No

Just an old tune by Jim Stafford you can listen to while answering the QOTD. Have you ever heard it (Spiders and Snakes) before? Yes, I sing along!

Old 09-25-2023, 08:45 AM

50,459 posts, read 64,328,280 times
**Have you ever seen a spider web (not a cobweb) outdoors in your town? We just had one in the back yard. It was different because it had perfectly spaced dashes of white along the web.
**If yes, where in your town? ^^^
**If yes, was the spider in the web? Yes, it was a Spiny Orb Weaver.

**Did you know arachnophobia is the most common phobia in the world? I would have thought more people were afraid of heights.
**If like me, you didn’t know, what did you think was the most common phobia in the world? ^^^

**Have you ever been bitten by someone or something that isn’t an insect or an arachnid? What? A cat

**Do you know who The Spiders From Mars were? No

Charlottes Web and The Itsy Bitsy Spider

Old 09-25-2023, 09:57 AM

24,568 posts, read 26,127,399 times

**If yes, where in your town?
**If yes, was the spider in the web?
Yes, in my yard and yes.

**Did you know arachnophobia is the most common phobia in the world?
Not surprised.
**If like me, you didn’t know, what did you think was the most common phobia in the world?
Heights

Shark, gator or croc.

**Have you ever been bitten by someone or something that isn’t an insect or an arachnid? What?
Cocatoo, cats, dog, skeeters

Charlotte’s Web?
Little Miss Muffett?

The book (James Patterson) or Alex Cross/Morgan Freeman psychological thriller movie Along Came A Spider?

OTHER

cell phone at bed time.

**If the federal/central government in your country shuts down, are you personally impacted at all? How?

Just an old tune by Jim Stafford you can listen to while answering the QOTD. Have you ever heard it (Spiders and Snakes) before?

Thanx Laura for the interesting Q's.

Old 09-25-2023, 12:20 PM

7,260 posts, read 7,126,912 times
THE QUESTIONS

Hello QOTDers! This may look like a long QOTD but most of the questions can be answered with one or two words.

**If yes, where in your town? Mostly the trails around here
**If yes, was the spider in the web? Didn't look that close

heights

dog, but only playfully

Charlotte’s Web?
Little Miss Muffett?

OTHER

Overnight

Old 09-25-2023, 12:22 PM

99,950 posts, read 4,508,344 times
[quote=LauraC;65870930]THE QUESTIONS

I knew about spiders, but not the others.

Yes, I've seen them in bushes in the park.

**Did you know arachnophobia is the most common phobia in the world? No
I would have guessed acrophobia or claustrophobia.

I'm guessing sharks?

Dog

No

Charlotte’s Web? Yes
Little Miss Muffett? Yes
The Teensy Weensy Spider? Yes
The John Goodman movie Arachnophobia? Yes
The book (James Patterson) or Alex Cross/Morgan Freeman psychological thriller movie Along Came A Spider? Saw the movie
The Spider-man movies or Spider-man comic books? 2 of the movies and the comic books
The 1987 thriller movie Black Widow with Debra Winger and Theresa Russell? Yes
The 1985 William Hurt movie drama, book or play Kiss of the Spider Woman? Yes, I saw the movie
The 2002 movie Eight Legged Freaks with David Arquette? Yes

OTHER

**When do you shut off your phone? I put it on Do Not Disturb if I'm taking a nap. Otherwise, it's on all the time.

**If the federal/central government in your country shuts down, are you personally impacted at all? How? Probably not.

Just an old tune by Jim Stafford you can listen to while answering the QOTD. Have you ever heard it (Spiders and Snakes) before? Yes, takes me back to my college days!

Thanks, Laura!

Old 09-25-2023, 06:43 PM

3,115 posts, read 2,038,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
THE QUESTIONS

Hello, hello.

I do know, yes.

I've seen webs, sometimes huge with critters in them, giant ones.

Yes, I have it. It took me an entire year to train myself not to scream outloud, sweat & hyperventilate if I saw one or if someone else said they saw one.

That could be so many animals. Without watching the vid, I don't know which one it's referencing. Could be shark, alligator/croc, kangaroo... I'll watch the vid afterwards.

Yes. A person, once... a bf I told I was leaving. While surfing in Maine, a shark (on my leg). I need stitches but don't recall how many anymore... 18, 52? My cat, twice, when I had kitties, only when she was ill or in pain... but it did get infected & require a tetanus shot & antibiotics. 3-4 times by hyperactive dogs... no stitches, but I did need treatment of some sort. A goat... no stitches, but I did need treatment.

Yes, David Bowie's band, in one of his many odd personas early in his career, orange haired, lighting bolt across the face, Ziggy Stardust.

Charlotte’s Web?
Little Miss Muffett?

I don't understand the q. If you're asking am I familiar with anything from the above list... I can recite the 2 nursery rhymes (although I remember it as Itsy Bitsy Spider) & have seen 3-4 of the movies, but so long ago, I don't remember them.

OTHER

Never shut off, sometimes I silence the ringer or put it in airplane mode.

Sure, everyone would be.

No & I've never heard of Stafford. I doubt I'd like it... I reside more in the punk & NIN realm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOs1w3zzWCQ

Old 09-25-2023, 07:09 PM

18,969 posts, read 11,631,658 times
sure

In eaves and plants.

rarely. BUT…when we were in Costa Rica we stayed in a treehouse with almost no walls. There were golden orb spider complexes all around the outside. It was like they were standing guard. The spiders were almost always in their webs there and they were massive

I knew it was right up there. I used to be freaked out by spiders but I think Costa Rica might’ve cured me of that. Immersion therapy!

Hmmmm…I’d guess heights

Sounds like a badger but probably not given the theme

I’ll check it out. Thanks

Puppy’s and kittens/cats but, I think, only when I was sticking my fingers in their mouth/letting them test me

Yes! Mick Ronson on guitars - he and Ziggy also produced Transformer for Lou Reed

Charlotte’s Web? Read, saw
Little Miss Muffett? Read, recite
The Teensy Weensy Spider? Read, recite, hand choreography
The John Goodman movie Arachnophobia? No
The book (James Patterson) or Alex Cross/Morgan Freeman psychological thriller movie Along Came A Spider? Saw
The Spider-man movies or Spider-man comic books? Read, saw
The 1987 thriller movie Black Widow with Debra Winger and Theresa Russell? Hmmm. Not sure
The 1985 William Hurt movie drama, book or play Kiss of the Spider Woman? Yes - Raul Julia was so good in that
The 2002 movie Eight Legged Freaks with David Arquette? No

OTHER

When it needs to be rebooted. I put it on airplane mode sometimes and usually have the sound off

Yes. My husband still works for the DoD (I used to), so he’ll be home more and we’ll wonder if he’ll get back pay after it’s over

Just an old tune by Jim Stafford you can listen to while answering the QOTD. Have you ever heard it (Spiders and Snakes) before? Oh wow - not in ages!

This was jam-packed and lots of fun!
Posting Guide

Old 09-25-2023, 07:48 PM

37,819 posts, read 41,130,318 times
THE QUESTIONS

**Have you ever seen a spider web (not a cobweb) outdoors in your town? The web photo was taken in my town last Friday.
**If yes, where in your town? In the bushes and dead flowers by the lake.
**If yes, was the spider in the web? No, it was not. I rarely see the spiders in the web.
**Did you know arachnophobia is the most common phobia in the world? I did not. I think the key is "in the world."
**If like me, you didn’t know, what did you think was the most common phobia in the world? Like a few of you, I thought it was heights.

No one got it right and if I didn't know the answer from researching this topic for this QOTD, I wouldn't have either.

Spoiler
The correct answer is Spider Monkey. The clue was "In keeping with the theme of this QOTD..." because the other answers were pretty good, too. Here's the link to the National Geographic YouTube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqzVI0CSKCU

**Have you ever been bitten by someone or something that isn’t an insect or an arachnid? What? Yes. Me. I'm always biting my lip and sometimes my tongue.

**Do you know who The Spiders From Mars were? Check John13's answer (edit: and toosie). He is correct about who they are (don't know where 1947 came from). They were Bowie's back up band in the 1970s.

Charlotte’s Web? Never read it. Know nothing about it. Get it wrong in Trivia games all of the time.
Little Miss Muffett? If Little Miss Muffet was Little Miss Mare she could have sat on a chair and saved us all the trouble of looking up what a tuffet is.
The Teensy Weensy Spider? Oh yeah
The John Goodman movie Arachnophobia? Saw it on TV but quit the movie before it was over.
The book (James Patterson) or Alex Cross/Morgan Freeman psychological thriller movie Along Came A Spider? This is a very exciting movie about the kidnapping of a Congressman's daughter. Plot twists. Recommend it.
The Spider-man movies or Spider-man comic books? Had no interest in the movies or comic books.
The 1987 thriller movie Black Widow with Debra Winger and Theresa Russell? You will like this movie if it is on TV (don't get it mixed up with a lousy movie with the same title that was made more recently). She mates and she kills (for the insurance money of her spouses) is the line associated with it. Winger plays the FBI agent who pursues her (Russell's character). Recommend it. Liked it a lot.
The 1985 William Hurt movie drama, book or play Kiss of the Spider Woman? Hurt won an award for this movie. I thought it was too talky.
The 2002 movie Eight Legged Freaks with David Arquette? When I was writing these QOTD questions I was surfing the TV Guide page and this movie just happened to be playing later that night so I DVRed it. Haven't watched it yet.

OTHER

When do I turn it on is a better question for me. It's off most of the time.

**If the federal/central government in your country shuts down, are you personally impacted at all? How? I don't think I am. I'll still get my pension and be covered by Medicare.

Do you know why so many more people than you'd expect know this song? It came out in 1974. I was in NY in 1973 - 1995 and didn't listen to country music in 1974 so how did I know it? As it turns out, it wasn't a country music hit. It only got to Number 66 (peak position) on the US Country Music charts but it got to Number 3 (peak position) on the US Billboard Hot 100. It got to Number 1 (peak position) on the Canadian RPM Top Singles chart, Number 14 in the UK, Number 19 in Australia and Number 16 in New Zealand.

Peak Position Charts are on Wikipedia if you research the song title.

Loved the photos Elnina and PAhippo.

Last edited by LauraC; 09-25-2023 at 08:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics