Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2023, 08:37 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,036,241 times

Advertisements

THE QUESTIONS

State the name and location (state or province or country) of any of these things you have been to. I'm presuming if the Country runs the park in places other than the United States, it's still called a National Park. If that's not true, set me straight.

National Park:
State, Province or County Park:
National, State or Province Forest:
National Wildlife Refuge:
Any Arboretum:
Any Indoor Butterfly House:
Any Safari Park:
National, State or, Province Aquarium:
National Museum:
National Battleground or National Cemetery:
Any re-enactment:

The capitol city of a state, province or country:

List of US state capitals here if you need a memory jogger:
https://www.britannica.com/topic/lis...States-2119210

Feel free to post a photo or 2 taken at any of the above places you’ve mentioned and tell us which one it is.

Minus the last one on the list above, did you pay admission to enter or park at any of the above that you recall?
Which ones charged you?

Did you ever stay overnight in any campground, lodge, cabin or inn in any of the National, State or Province Parks you listed above? If yes, how was it?

Tell us any place, anywhere, that you have been that could only be accessed by boat.

Have you ever seen a Coast Guard boat moving in the water? Where?

Have you ever gone for a scenic train ride? That is, the whole purpose of the train ride was not to get you to a destination but just to enjoy the scenery the train takes you through. Where?

Have you ever visited a farm (not a roadside farm stand) and purchased something there? If yes, what did you buy?

------------------------------------------------------
This is just info, no question:

I’m always looking for wildlife drives websites in various US locations since I have trouble walking. I found this one in Florida and thought people who also have trouble walking but are not in wheelchairs, don’t like to walk in heat or walk among swarms of mosquitos or biting flies but are interested in wildlife, flowers or insects might be interested enough to check them out with research:

Off the Beaten Path: 10 Unique Wildlife Drives in Florida

https://floridaing.com/wildlife-driv...pand_article=1

May do a different state or province in future weeks.

Adios until next week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2023, 11:39 PM

21,553 posts, read 8,733,710 times
THE QUESTIONS

State the name and location (state or province or country) of any of these things you have been to. I'm presuming if the Country runs the park in places other than the United States, it's still called a National Park. If that's not true, set me straight.

National Park: The Presidio, San Francisco, California
State, Province or County Park: Central Park, New York, NY
National, State or Province Forest: Stanislaus National Forest, California
National Wildlife Refuge: I don't think I've been in one unless it was in Hawaii
Any Arboretum: California Academy of Sciences, San Francisco, CA
Any Indoor Butterfly House: California Academy of Sciences, San Francisco, CA
Any Safari Park: Never visited one.
National, State or, Province Aquarium: Monterey Bay Aquarium, Monterey, CA
National Museum: The Smithsonian, Washington D.C.
National Battleground or National Cemetery: Golden Gate Nat'l Cemetery, Colma, CA
Any re-enactment: None that I can recall except the audio animatronic Abraham Lincoln at Disneyland.

The capitol city of a state, province or country: Paris, France

Feel free to post a photo or 2 taken at any of the above places you’ve mentioned and tell us which one it is.

Minus the last one on the list above, did you pay admission to enter or park at any of the above that you recall? Yes.
Which ones charged you? The Monterey Bay Aquarium and the Academy of Sciences

Did you ever stay overnight in any campground, lodge, cabin or inn in any of the National, State or Province Parks you listed above? If yes, how was it?
When I was 12 we went camping at Big Basin State Park in the Santa Cruz Mountains.
Tell us any place, anywhere, that you have been that could only be accessed by boat.
Alcatraz Island
Probably, but I don't remember any details.
Have you ever gone for a scenic train ride? That is, the whole purpose of the train ride was not to get you to a destination but just to enjoy the scenery the train takes you through. Where?
Yes, in British Columbia.
Have you ever visited a farm (not a roadside farm stand) and purchased something there? If yes, what did you buy?
Sonka's Apple Ranch near Sonora, California. Best apple pies ever.

Thanks, LauraC!

Old 12-18-2023, 05:02 AM

14,785 posts, read 8,120,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
THE QUESTIONS

National Park: Smokey Mountain National Park, Fort McHenry National Park in Baltimore, Cumberland Gap National Park.
State, Province or County Park: Fort Howard Historical Park(Baltimore),Veterans Park(run by the city of Lexington), Shillito Park and Jacobson Park (run by the city of Lexington), Waveland Historical Park (city of Lexington), Kentucky Horse Park (run by Kentucky I think, here in Lexington)
National, State or Province Forest:Daniel Boone National Forest, Ferdinand State Forest of Indiana
Jefferson Memorial Forest (Louisville) Kingdom Come State Park (Kentucky state)Taylorsville Lake State Park, Iroquois Park (Louisville), Cherokee Park (Louisville), McNeely Lake Park (Louisville run), Bryce Canyon National Park (Utah), Central Park (Louisville), Tom Wallace Park (Jefferson County KY)

National Wildlife Refuge:Bernheim Forest (Radcliff)Buckley Wildlife Refuge (Frankfort), Raven Run Nature Sanctuary (Lexington)
Any Arboretum:Kentucky Arboretum (Lexington)
Any Safari Park: Lion Country Safari at Kings Island
National, State or, Province Aquarium: National Aquarium in Baltimore
National Museum:
National Battleground or National Cemetery:Ft Knox Cemetery
Any re-enactment:
Yes, when I was really little, but don't recall the details.
Denver Colorado, Atlanta Georgia, Springfield, Illinois, Indianapolis, Indiana, Frankfort Kentucky,
Nashville, Tennessee, Salt Lake City Utah.

Waveland Historical Park, Lexington

Jacobson Park Lexington

Kentucky Horse Park in Winter

Daniel Boone Forest

Taylorsville Lake

The Kentucky Arboretum

Ferdinand Forest Indiana

Minus the last one on the list above, did you pay admission to enter or park at any of the above that you recall?
Which ones charged you?
I don't recall any of them charging us.
No.
No.
Yes, My Dad was in the Coast Guard when I was little, so yes....Connecticut, Louisville, Maryland, Florida
No.
Yep, many times the last was the Double Stink Hog Farm we bought a pumpkin at the pumpkin patch.

I’m always looking for wildlife drives websites in various US locations since I have trouble walking. I found this one in Florida and thought people who also have trouble walking but are not in wheelchairs, don’t like to walk in heat or walk among swarms of mosquitos or biting flies but are interested in wildlife, flowers or insects might be interested enough to check them out with research:

Thanks, I am going to check that out! Love stuff like that!
Adios until next week.
Thanks for the questions!

Old 12-18-2023, 05:14 AM

7,992 posts, read 5,393,132 times
Good Morning

National Park: Acadia National Park--Bar Harbor, Maine
State, Province or County Park: Patapsco Valley State Park--Ellicott City, Maryland
National, State or Province Forest: White Mountain--New Hampshire
National Wildlife Refuge: Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge--Chicoteague, Virginia
Any Arboretum: Morton Arboretum--Lisle, Illinois
Any Indoor Butterfly House: Butterfly Conservatory--Niagara Falls, Canada
Any Safari Park: Catoctin Wildlife Preserve--Thurmont, Maryland
National, State or, Province Aquarium: National Aquarium--Baltimore, Maryland
National Museum: National Museum of Natural History--Washington, D.C.
National Battleground or National Cemetery: Arlington National Cemetery--Arlington, Virginia
Any re-enactment: National Military Park Pennsylvania--Gettsyburg, Pennsylvania

The capitol city of a state, province or country: Annapolis, Maryland

Which ones charged you? The ones I put in purple--some of the other ones I have a Senior Lifetime Pass

Did you ever stay overnight in any campground, lodge, cabin or inn in any of the National, State or Province Parks you listed above? If yes, how was it? I am sure one of them we stayed overnight for Girl Scout Camp.

Block Island--Rhode Island

Have you ever seen a Coast Guard boat moving in the water? Where? Chesapeake Bay

Conway Scenic Railway--North Conway, New Hampshire

Have you ever visited a farm (not a roadside farm stand) and purchased something there? If yes, what did you buy? I visit my local farm up the road a couple of times a month to purchase eggs and meat.

Thank you for the info!

Looking forward to seeing your answers Laura--
Happy Monday!

Old 12-18-2023, 05:29 AM

126,288 posts, read 19,066,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
THE QUESTIONS

National Park:........Cape Breton Highlands National Park/Canada
State, Province or County Park:...........Manning Provincial Park/British Columbia
National, State or Province Forest:..............Great Bear Rainforest/British Columbia
National Wildlife Refuge:..........Thelon Wildlife Sanctuary/Canada
Any Arboretum:...........Royal Botanical Gardens/Canada
Any Indoor Butterfly House:..............Butterfly Conservatory at Niagara Falls/Canada
Any Safari Park:............ African Lion Safari/Ontario/Canada
National, State or, Province Aquarium:...........Ripley's Aquarium/Toronto/Ontario/Canada
National Museum:............Royal Ontario Museum/Toronto/Canada
National Battleground or National Cemetery:.......Ottawa/Canada.......Parc des Champs-de-Bataille
Any re-enactment

The capitol city of a state, province or country:........ Ottawa/Canada

Minus the last one on the list above, did you pay admission to enter or park at any of the above that you recall? ..........Yes
Which ones charged you?............One needs a natuonal park pass,museums charge

Did you ever stay overnight in any campground, lodge, cabin or inn in any of the National, State or Province Parks you listed above? If yes, how was it?..........Yes and I loved it

Tell us any place, anywhere, that you have been that could only be accessed by boat...........I crossed little lakes in order to reach remote campsite and hiking areas in Canada

Have you ever seen a Coast Guard boat moving in the water? Where?...........I have seen one,but don't remember where

Have you ever gone for a scenic train ride? That is, the whole purpose of the train ride was not to get you to a destination but just to enjoy the scenery the train takes you through. Where?............ Vancouver to Banff long ago

Have you ever visited a farm (not a roadside farm stand) and purchased something there? If yes, what did you buy?.........Yes regularly eggs,honey,berries,apples,pears, vegetables

Adios until next week.

Thank you Laura

Old 12-18-2023, 07:35 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,991,038 times
Good morning, LauraC, and thank you!

National Park: Hot Springs National Park
State, Province or County Park: Pedernales State Park
National, State or Province Forest: Redwood Forest
National Wildlife Refuge: Outer Banks of North Carolina, and also some place near Pensacola, FL
Any Arboretum: Biltmore Estates, NC
Any Indoor Butterfly House: Never been to one
Any Safari Park: Somewhere in NE Texas
National, State or, Province Aquarium: Caldwell Zoo
National Museum: Smithsonian
National Battleground or National Cemetery: Yorktown VA and also Arlington Cemetery
Any re-enactment: Various militaries throughout the centuries in Yorktown, VA

The capitol city of a state, province or country: Berlin, Germany

Minus the last one on the list above, did you pay admission to enter or park at any of the above that you recall? I think so, but not certain.
Which ones charged you? State parks? Not sure.

Did you ever stay overnight in any campground, lodge, cabin or inn in any of the National, State or Province Parks you listed above? Yes. If yes, how was it? Worth every penny.

Tell us any place, anywhere, that you have been that could only be accessed by boat. Ship Island, MS

Have you ever seen a Coast Guard boat moving in the water? Yes. Where? Annapolis, MD.

Have you ever gone for a scenic train ride? That is, the whole purpose of the train ride was not to get you to a destination but just to enjoy the scenery the train takes you through. No, but there's one I keep thinking I will go to near me. Where? I think it leaves from Palestine, TX.

Have you ever visited a farm (not a roadside farm stand) and purchased something there? Yes. If yes, what did you buy? Honey.

Old 12-18-2023, 08:06 AM

35,103 posts, read 17,051,842 times
State the name and location (state or province or country) of any of these things you have been to. I'm presuming if the Country runs the park in places other than the United States, it's still called a National Park. If that's not true, set me straight. Thank you for the questions. The province of Quebec calls their parks "national parks" out of separatist sentiment but in general you are right.

National Park:
State, Province or County Park:

On 1973 Teen Tour: Badlands (National Monument when I was there, now park, South Dakota, got thundered out), Grand Teton (in Wyoming), Yellowstone (passing through, in Wyoming), Glacier (Montana), Crater Lake (Oregon), Lassen Volcanic (Cafilornia), Yosemite (a fringe of the park where there are sequoia trees), Death Valley (a National Monument, Cafilornia), Zion (overnight sleeping only), Bryce Canyon (Utah), Arches (National Monument when I was there, now park, Utah), Mesa Verde (Colorado), Great Sand Dunes (National Monument).

In 1991 on honeymoon, Virgin Islands National Park (bad name for honeymoon destination )

In 1992, Banff National Park (Canada)

In 2009, Whetsone Gulf (New York State Park), 2013 (Rocky Mountain National Park, Colorado), Muir Woods National Monument (California, 2022)
National, State or Province Forest: White Mountain National Forest (New Hampshire, 1969), Green Mountain National Forest (frequently, 1990 to date); 1977, 1981, Adirondack Park (New York State); Mount Greylock Reservation (1966, 1967, 1968, 1982);
In 2012, a bunch of provincial parks in Quebec, labeled as "National" for separatist reasons.

National Wildlife Refuge: I'm sure I've been in one, either existing or to be formed but don't remember. Very bad memory
Any Arboretum: Bartlett Arboretum in Stamford, CT
Any Indoor Butterfly House: Stumped me there
Any Safari Park: Stumped me there
National, State or, Province Aquarium: Monterey Bay Aquarium, California; Norwalk Aquarium and Coney Island Aquarium (not sure who runs them)
National Museum: Smithsonian, Holocaust and others in DC
National Battleground or National Cemetery: Gettysburg
Any re-enactment: Some in Gettysburg

The capitol city of a state, province or country: Am in Albany, NY often; inlaws live nearby. Worked in Hartford (well nearby in West Hartford) in Summer 1981; Washington DC, New York City (former capital of U.S.), Boston (went to law school there), and quite a few others.

Minus the last one on the list above, did you pay admission to enter or park at any of the above that you recall? Yes
Which ones charged you? Muir Woods, and I don't know whether the Teen Tour paid per-person admissions

Did you ever stay overnight in any campground, lodge, cabin or inn in any of the National, State or Province Parks you listed above? If yes, how was it? Lassen Volcanic and Grand Teton that I remember for sure. Many Teen Tour stays aside from those were at franchised KOA's or similar places.

Tell us any place, anywhere, that you have been that could only be accessed by boat. St. John Virgin Islands for my honeymoon, side trip to British Virgin Island, which I think is boat only. And some islands when at sleepaway camp in Lake Ossippee, New Hampshire, and the one my son stayed at in New Hampshire, where Senior Camp, 2009-11 was boat-only), and Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island (probaby belongs on national park list above.

Have you ever seen a Coast Guard boat moving in the water? Where? Not that I remember.

Have you ever gone for a scenic train ride? That is, the whole purpose of the train ride was not to get you to a destination but just to enjoy the scenery the train takes you through. Where? New Hampshire, near Franconia Notch.

Have you ever visited a farm (not a roadside farm stand) and purchased something there? If yes, what did you buy? Duck and goose eggs in Tarrytown, NY and Vermont. Cheese in VT.

Last edited by jbgusa; 12-18-2023 at 08:21 AM..

Old 12-18-2023, 08:45 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times
B]THE QUESTIONS[/b]

National Park: Yosemite, Yellowstone, Zion, Grand Canyon, Grand Teton, Olympic, Death Valley, Badlands, Crater Lake, Redwood, Mesa Verde, Mount Rainer, and probably a few I forgot.
State, Province or County Park: Too many to name while on a 44 state road trip.
National, State or Province Forest: Too many to name
Any Arboretum: Too many to name
Any Safari Park:
National, State or, Province Aquarium: San Francisco, Seattle, and Maui.
National Museum: Smithsonian (DC)
National Battleground or National Cemetery: Too many to name while on a 44 state road trip.
Any re-enactment: Civil War, in Steilacoom WA.

The capitol city of a state, province or country: Too many to name while on a 44 state road trip.

Minus the last one on the list above, did you pay admission to enter or park at any of the above that you recall? Yes
Which ones charged you? Most of them, but now have a Lifetime Senior pass for the National Parks and one for our state parks (WA)

Did you ever stay overnight in any campground, lodge, cabin or inn in any of the National, State or Province Parks you listed above? If yes, how was it? Yes, and it was always fun.

Tell us any place, anywhere, that you have been that could only be accessed by boat. The north end of Lake Chelan WA (rented a jet boat).

Have you ever seen a Coast Guard boat moving in the water? Where? Almost every day, I work on the waterfront in Seattle near their docks.

Have you ever gone for a scenic train ride? That is, the whole purpose of the train ride was not to get you to a destination but just to enjoy the scenery the train takes you through. Where? Several times in several places but mostly the one in Virginia City Nevada.

Have you ever visited a farm (not a roadside farm stand) and purchased something there? If yes, what did you buy? Remlinger Farms in Carnation, WA, have bought many kinds of fruit, berries, and frozen pies.

Old 12-18-2023, 09:00 AM
bjh

60,098 posts, read 30,411,363 times
National Park: among others: Mammoth Cave in Kentucky (waved at kygman, don't know if he saw me. )
State, Province or County Park: Several. I don't know names.
National, State or Province Forest: Smokey mountains.
National Wildlife Refuge: probably
Any Arboretum: growing up Texas
Any Indoor Butterfly House: at zoos in different states
Any Safari Park: growing up in Texas
National, State or, Province Aquarium: at zoos or Gatlinburg's privately owned aquarium
National Museum: The British Museum in London, England
National Battleground or National Cemetery: Little Rock among others
Any re-enactment: n/a
The capitol city of a state, province or country: London

Minus the last one on the list above, did you pay admission to enter or park at any of the above that you recall? Which ones charged you?
Not that I remember. Paid with taxes.
Nope
The bathtub. Small plastic boats only.
Gulf coast
At zoos or parks. I was a kid, not sure.
No. I've visited farms and ranches of relatives and friends, but not to buy anything. I did feed the chickens and cows.

Now I need a snack. Will it be millet seed or alfalfa cubes?

Old 12-18-2023, 10:27 AM

24,484 posts, read 26,021,800 times

National Park:Zion, RockyMountain, Grand Canyon

State, Province or County Park:Silverwood Lake, Salton Sea State Recreation Area, Lake Perris State Recreation Area

National, State or Province Forest:San Bernardino National Forest, Tahoe National Forest

Kofa National Wildlife Refuge

Any Arboretum:

San Diego zoo

Any Safari Park:
Lion Country Safari

National, State or, Province Aquarium:
Aquarium of the Pacific

National Museum:
National Air and Space Museum, Smithsonian American Art Museum

National Battleground or National Cemetery:
Riverside, San Francisco National Cemetery,

Any re-enactment:
Both Civil and WWII war.

Columbus, CA

Which ones charged you?
Last time at Zion there was a charge. Don't recall how much.

Ues, always a good time.

Islands in Lake Mead.

No, Navy, Yes.

Williams to the Grand Canyon and Durango to Silverton.

Yes, ourchased nothing farms were family or friend owned.

Adios until next week.

Thanx LauraC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics