Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2024, 08:37 AM

3,168 posts, read 1,037,524 times

Advertisements

Good morning.

What is the most daring thing you have ever done? How did it turn out?
The most? I have to think about it...
Protesting against communism I would say, while the communists were still in power.

What do you remember about your first date?
I had a good time, I took my dog with me, we went to a small park, there was a water fountain there and we talked. A negative thing was that I told (on the phone) to a friend of mine about it 5 minutes before going out. She casually told her mom and her mom immediately called my mom and made a scene that I was with a boy on a date and I might be in danger and on and on. I was not home anymore when she called my mom. My friend's mom was more than 10 years older than my mom. I have a young mom.

My mom replied that she trusted me completely and that she has zero worries. She felt sorry for the boy ha ha. I'm joking. Anyway, that woman had good intentions but it's not like I was a moron, or 5 years old. I was 17. (I know, rather old for a first date but what can I say, I have to admit...I've always been a little infantile/childish).

Have you gone streaming only, or do you still have records, audio and VHS tapes or CDs?
I still have everything from your list but I've gone streaming only. At least in the past recent years or so.
What do you think is the best age to get married? (“Never” is an acceptable answer.)
Hm, probably after 26 since the brain finishes its development around that age. But I would say around 30 would be best.

Thanks Bay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2024, 09:12 AM

14,820 posts, read 8,153,850 times
Today’s Questions:
Daring? I am a cautious person generally, so not a lot comes to mind.
I guess it would be quitting a job I had without another one lined up....I had a new job within 2 or 3 days so it was all good. I liked the new one much better.

Not a whole lot. (Not that it was bad, its been a pretty long time ago)It was a tad awkward.

We went to the movies and out to eat.

Have you gone streaming only, or do you still have records, audio and VHS tapes or CDs?
We have gone to streaming only in the last few years. We do have some DVD's and CD's but no one ever uses them any more.
What do you think is the best age to get married? (“Never” is an acceptable answer.)
Sometimes never is the only answer in some cases.
I would say 25 to 30 maybe. Really would depend on the people involved.

Thanks for the questions!

Old 03-24-2024, 10:27 AM

24,528 posts, read 26,076,264 times
Today’s Questions:
Accepted a 3 month assignment in Puerto Rico that turned out being 1 year.Financially it turned quite well.

Double dated and went to the La Mirada drive in theater.

Have CD's that haven't been played in like forever.

30 ish.

Thanx Bayarea4.

Old 03-24-2024, 11:01 AM

6,899 posts, read 4,914,965 times
I can't remember my first ever date. It was probably a movie.

The most daring thing I did was to marry my husband. It turned out great.

The best age to get married is going to be different for different people. We aren't all the same. A little luck is going to be involved in that decision, too. And yes, some people should never marry. Not everyone is cut out for it.

Currently the only time I listen to music is in the car on the radio.

Old 03-24-2024, 11:19 AM

1,386 posts, read 623,637 times
Today’s Questions:
What is the most daring thing you have ever done?

### Many things in equal measure

How did it turn out?

### Still breathing

### Nada

### Streaming only. Have none of the others.

### Late 20’s early 30’s and both already having a career.

Today in History:

1603 – James VI of Scotland is proclaimed King James I of England and Ireland, upon the death of Elizabeth I.

### When in Scotland I learned interesting things about his mother, Mary Queen of Scots, saw one of her outfits and she was quite tall, her death mask showed she was a stunning woman. We saw the actual site where she was beheaded on orders of her cousin QE 1, and the homes she hid while the Brits where searching for her, many with hidden rooms. QE I having no children Mary’s son was crowned King James I at QE I death. As king he disinterred his mother and buried her in Westminster Abbey a few feet across from QE I, equals as queens in death. I guess one Queen had the last laugh.

The tomb at Westminster: https://www.tudorsociety.com/tomb-ma...n-scots/?amp=1

THX Bay.

Old 03-24-2024, 11:20 AM

1,865 posts, read 842,426 times
What is the most daring thing you have ever done? How did it turn out? Use to do quite a bit of urban exploring (exploring interesting abandoned building). Had a few interesting run ins, but never anything life threating or permanently damaging.

What do you remember about your first date? Was 12 or 13 which wasn't helping, but it went well enough. Went to Putt-Putt with her brother and his girlfriend. It was a first and last date but we stayed friends for a long time. Technically my first "date" was when I was 10, just didn't know it until she mentioned it as I was leaving.

Have you gone streaming only, or do you still have records, audio and VHS tapes or CDs? Streaming only. About 75% YouTube/Pandora and 25% FM radio.

What do you think is the best age to get married? (“Never” is an acceptable answer.) Late 20's to early 30's. Personally I don't see the point of marriage.

Old 03-24-2024, 06:10 PM

44,386 posts, read 20,111,153 times
Today’s Questions:

What is the most daring thing you have ever done? Zip lining in the jungle canopy in Jamaica. How did it turn out? I was scared to death at first, but then it became one of the most wonderful, amazing experiences of my life. Our excursion included 9 zips and one rappel down an extremely tall tree. (Rappelling was the scariest part.) A marvelous memory.

What do you remember about your first date? It was a "turnabout" dance, where the girls do the asking. I made the mistake of inviting a very shy guy whom I'd admired. He was so shy that he hardly talked at all during the date. Thankfully, we doubled with another couple, so at least I had two other people to talk with.

Have you gone streaming only, or do you still have records, audio and VHS tapes or CDs? I still have records (although presently my turntable is not in a convenient place to use) , I occasionally play CDs and I still occasionally play VHS tapes.

What do you think is the best age to get married? (“Never” is an acceptable answer.) Whenever the two people are ready; age doesn't matter.

Thanks for the Sunday questions, Bay!

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 03-24-2024, 06:44 PM

21,585 posts, read 8,757,714 times
Today’s Questions:
I dropped out of college and moved to New York City with no job and no place to live a few days after I turned 19. I was following a boyfriend I'd met at school who said he wanted to marry me. The marriage never happened, but I lived in NYC for six years and had a lot of interesting adventures.

I was sixteen and green as grass. Bill O'Hare, the boy who sat in front of me in English class, passed me a note one day. He asked if I could go to see a movie with him Friday night. I was so naive, I thought he was joking. When he arrived at my house I asked my father for my allowance right in front of him because I wasn't sure if I had to pay! We went to see "Mary Poppins." I hardly slept that night, I was so nervous and excited, reliving every moment of the date. Bill and I dated until he left for college in Texas, and then we stayed in touch over the years. He never married. I suspect I was the one great love of his life, but it wouldn't have worked out because he was very religious, and I'm not.

I have a little bit of everything: 78s, 45s, cassettes, LPs and CDs plus Sirius XM in the car and on my phone.

Pam had the best answer, I think: Whenever you're ready. People mature at different rates, and there's no one-size-fits-all. But generally speaking, I would say late 20s-early 30s.

Thanks to everyone for your answers.

Old 03-24-2024, 08:30 PM

35,262 posts, read 17,158,240 times
I love the questions and “ what happened on this state?“

elcome to Questions of the Day for Sunday, March 24, 2024. If your birthday is today, you were born under the sign of Aries. Famous people born on this date include magician Harry Houdini, actor Steve McQueen, animators Ub Iwerks and Joseph Barbera; classical pianist Byron Janis, fashion designers Bob Mackie and Tommy Hilfiger; singer-songwriter Nick Lowe, comedians Louie Anderson and Tig Notaro; American football player Peyton Manning, and actresses Kelly LeBrock, Annabella Sciorra, Lara Flynn Boyle and Jessica Chastain.

Today’s Questions:
What is the most daring thing you have ever done? in 1972, when I was almost 15. I went with my parents on vacation to Barbados. I saw an item on the menu that I wanted to sample, that was called “dolphin.“ I knew for my reading in National Geographic magazine, that “dolphin“ was the same thing as “flying fish.“ The menu promised a Bajan preparation, Definitely not Flipper. My parents asked “how do you know you were going to like it?” I said something like “instinct” or I just know it“ How did it turn out? Quite well; it was a start of my insatiable appetite for exotic food. My older son, and I always joke about the fact that I cannot shock him with my culinary choices.

My next similar adventure, seeking turtle soup at a zoo in Nassau, Bahamas did not turn out quite as well. I quickly figured out that the bus connections would not work, and would not get me back to the hotel in time so that my mother and grandmother would not be in the state of panic. They wound up in the state of panic anyway because when I got back to the hotel, I went out to play tennis with some girls that I met. There were no cell phones in 1973 and they were scared when they could not find me. A similar experience repeated on that trip when I went to a nightclub to listen to Bahamian music, and they similarly could not find me. Something like that happened the year before in Barbados, but I went to a hut on the hotel premises to listen to Calypso music. On that occasion I struck up a conversation with a doctor who informed me that, while my father appeared healthy after an operation about eight months earlier, he was unlikely to survive.

What do you remember about your first date? I’m not sure if you’re asking about the first date with the woman who I am now married to for almost 33 years or my first date ever. I will go with the former. I took her out to a Greek restaurant in New York City, Peryali (sp). After dinner, I decided I did not want the evening to end, but it was a little bit early to make it into an overnight experience. I’ve had took her to Mexican bar for drinks, and I did go upstairs to her apartment. I left around 2 AM. I was reassured by assign in her apartment that said “Jewish Lover Service.“ The sign was a joke, and in no way was she running any service for money. She had a distinctly non-Jewish last name, and at that stage I was pretty serious about dating people of my faith. In my previous significant relationship I had a bad experience. After two or three dates, the girl expressed an interest in converting to Judaism. A little too far and too fast. Obviously it went well. That date was on January 6, 1990, we buried on May 9, 1991 and we are still happily married.

Have you gone streaming only, or do you still have records, audio and VHS tapes or CDs? I have all of the above and frequently download LP tracks to my computer as MP3. The exception is that I do not have or you listen to audiotapes. I was using audiotapes for a very brief interval.

What do you think is the best age to get married? (“Never” is an acceptable answer.) I would say late 20s into early to mid 30s.

Today in History:
1663 – The Province of Carolina is granted by charter to eight Lords Proprietor in reward for their assistance in restoring Charles II of England to the throne. Interesting. I’m going to North Carolina for a wedding in about a month and a half.
1721 – Johann Sebastian Bach dedicates six concertos to Margrave Christian Ludwig of Brandenburg-Schwedt, now commonly called the Brandenburg Concertos. That was among the first serious music that I was introduced to. I can’t really call classical because that is technically baroque music. A close friend, with who I go to concerts, had his introduction with the second Brandenburg Concerto.
1765 – Great Britain passes the Quartering Act, which requires the Thirteen Colonies to house British troops. Thus the Third Amendment.
1794 – In Kraków, Tadeusz Kościuszko announces a general uprising against Imperial Russia and the Kingdom of Prussia, and assumes the powers of the Commander in Chief of all of the Polish forces. an important bridge connecting Brooklyn and Queens is named after him.
1900 – Mayor of New York City Robert Anderson Van Wyck breaks ground for a new underground "Rapid Transit Railroad" that would link Manhattan and Brooklyn. Surprisingly, a major highway in New York City is named after him, not any railroad. The highway connects the approach expressway to the Whitestone Bridge to John F. Kennedy airport. The subway line in question is known as a G train, and is infamous. so maybe he got the better of the otters even though the Van Wyck Expressway is nothing to write home about.

Last edited by jbgusa; 03-24-2024 at 08:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics