Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2024, 08:03 AM

5,576 posts, read 6,501,669 times

Advertisements

THE QUESTIONS

1) What multiple day news story in your lifetime kept you glued to the TV (or computer) every day it was covered? True Crime/Murder that was covered by Nancy Grace on HSN cable station. Casey Anthony, for one.

2) Now think of all of the events in history that happened BEFORE television was invented. What event (good or bad) do you think would have captured your attention and that would have had you glued to the TV over multiple days watching beginning to end news coverage? Can't think of any without spending time thinking about it. ETA: Lizzie Borden.

3) Don't want to get all Star Trek on you but can you split your thumb, pointer finger and middle finger apart from your ring finger and pinkie finger with both hands to make a V? (Go ahead, try it.) Was it easier to do with your dominant hand? Yes, yes I was able to with both hands. My dominant hand was harder to do. Never tried the less dominant hand before. Rarely did with the dominant hand. I am not a "Trekkie" so had no reason to do so.

4) Do you regret, later on in life, having donated money to any charity when you were younger? If yes, was it because the charity was a scam or because your opinion of what you support changed when you got older? No, didn't really have much to donate when younger being working class and not having much, if any, disposable income. But did donate to the Jerry Lewis MD Telethon for years until I got burned out on it and also to PBS/This Old House when they offered a TOH sweatshirt I wanted for my husband. But I never regretted donating to either. Now, older, wiser and with more disposable income, I donate monthly to charities that are close to my heart, and there are a few more I want to add.

5) When you walk into a hotel or motel room, for the first time, what are 3 things you check out in the room before you unpack?

1. Suitcase goes in bathtub while I check out the bed/bedding.
2. View.
3. The temperature.

Fun questions! Thanks for posting them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2024, 08:38 AM

7,365 posts, read 5,479,265 times
Greetings on Income Tax Day in the USA. If the groundhog sees his shadow, we'll have 4 more years of paying even higher taxes.

THE QUESTIONS

1) What multiple day news story in your lifetime kept you glued to the TV (or computer) every day it was covered? 9-11

2) Now think of all of the events in history that happened BEFORE television was invented. What event (good or bad) do you think would have captured your attention and that would have had you glued to the TV over multiple days watching beginning to end news coverage? World War One.

3) Don't want to get all Star Trek on you but can you split your thumb, pointer finger and middle finger apart from your ring finger and pinkie finger with both hands to make a V? (Go ahead, try it.) Was it easier to do with your dominant hand? I can do The Dr. Spock on both hands.

4) Do you regret, later on in life, having donated money to any charity when you were younger? If yes, was it because the charity was a scam or because your opinion of what you support changed when you got older?
Yes, it was for a person who needed a kidney transplant, turned out they had good insurance and ended up spending the donated money on frivolous things like a designer handbag.

5) When you walk into a hotel or motel room, for the first time, what are 3 things you check out in the room before you unpack?

1. Bathroom
2. View from the window or balcony
3. Pillows

Live long and prosper!
Thank you!

Old 04-15-2024, 09:17 AM

24,454 posts, read 25,987,852 times
1) What multiple day news story in your lifetime kept you glued to the TV (or computer) every day it was covered?
Last century, the OJ Bronco and trial. This century, 9/11.

2) Now think of all of the events in history that happened BEFORE television was invented. What event (good or bad) do you think would have captured your attention and that would have had you glued to the TV over multiple days watching beginning to end news coverage?
The Pearl Harbor attack and WWII in the Pacific.

3) Don't want to get all Star Trek on you but can you split your thumb, pointer finger and middle finger apart from your ring finger and pinkie finger with both hands to make a V? (Go ahead, try it.) Was it easier to do with your dominant hand?
No

4) Do you regret, later on in life, having donated money to any charity when you were younger? If yes, was it because the charity was a scam or because your opinion of what you support changed when you got older?
No

1.TV
2.Remote
3.Bed
4.Internet
Live long and prosper!
Thanx LauraC

Old 04-15-2024, 09:28 AM

6,857 posts, read 4,853,645 times
As the news keeps repeating over and over I have never felt compelled to glue myself to it. I was watching when the challenger exploded. I didn't realize what I was seeing at the moment. I watched some of 9-11 . It was on TV for days. Just watched intermittently.

I can do the vulcan sign with both hands. Been doing it since I was a child.

In a hotel I check the mattress for bedbugs. I read the fire escape directions. I look out the window and adjust the heat/air conditioning if it needs it.

Old 04-15-2024, 10:17 AM

3,108 posts, read 1,005,048 times
Good morning.

1) What multiple day news story in your lifetime kept you glued to the TV (or computer) every day it was covered?
The fall of communism and 9/11. But I was not glued all the time to the TV.

2) Now think of all of the events in history that happened BEFORE television was invented. What event (good or bad) do you think would have captured your attention and that would have had you glued to the TV over multiple days watching beginning to end news coverage?
Events about Jesus, Buddha, Krishna, Mahavater Babaji, Paramahansa Yogananda and other saints etc.

3) Don't want to get all Star Trek on you but can you split your thumb, pointer finger and middle finger apart from your ring finger and pinkie finger with both hands to make a V? (Go ahead, try it.) Was it easier to do with your dominant hand?
No.

No.
I didn't donate to charities when I was younger, I always gave food, money, toys or my time directly to people/pets in need. I do the same today by giving items (food, toys etc) directly. Plus I donate money to a church and separately for building a small school here where we live in town. But for this church also, I give money directly to monks for instance to take care of their facilities (repairs etc), so the check goes to them directly. Not to the church's administrative office. I don't want anyone between my money and the person in need.

1. The smell.
2. Noise level.
3. How clean it is.

Thanks. Have a good week.

Old 04-15-2024, 12:27 PM

35,019 posts, read 16,978,303 times
Greetings on Income Tax Day in the USA. If the groundhog sees his shadow, we'll have 4 more years of paying even higher taxes. Thanks as always for the questions.

THE QUESTIONS

1) What multiple day news story in your lifetime kept you glued to the TV (or computer) every day it was covered? Obviously OJ, Also the various Middle Eastern events.

2) Now think of all of the events in history that happened BEFORE television was invented. What event (good or bad) do you think would have captured your attention and that would have had you glued to the TV over multiple days watching beginning to end news coverage? The Revolutionary War, Civil War, WW I and WW II. Saturation coverage of the War of 1812, Spanish-American War, Korean and Vietnam Wars not so much. Also, the cliffhanger elections of 1861 (more consequential than being a cliffhanger), 1876, 1884, 1888 and 1892, and maybe others that I am forgetting.

3) Don't want to get all Star Trek on you but can you split your thumb, pointer finger and middle finger apart from your ring finger and pinkie finger with both hands to make a V? (Go ahead, try it.) Was it easier to do with your dominant hand? I think I'm doing it with both. CD does not have video capability.

4) Do you regret, later on in life, having donated money to any charity when you were younger? If yes, was it because the charity was a scam or because your opinion of what you support changed when you got older? UNICEF and Red Cross, for ideological reasons and excessive overhead.

1. What drawer and closet facilities exist.
2. If the room is clean and odor-free.
3. If the bathroom is sanitary, and if it needs any supplies

Live long and prosper! Thanks.

Old 04-15-2024, 01:37 PM

14,768 posts, read 8,099,433 times
Quote:
What multiple day news story in your lifetime kept you glued to the TV (or computer) every day it was covered?
I knew I would forget something, long ago when I much younger I was glued to the TV watching the Apollo Moon missions.

Old 04-15-2024, 01:56 PM

3,068 posts, read 1,680,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Greetings on Income Tax Day in the USA. If the groundhog sees his shadow, we'll have 4 more years of paying even higher taxes.

THE QUESTIONS

1) What multiple day news story in your lifetime kept you glued to the TV (or computer) every day it was covered? It's not something I do. But I did pay lots of attention to the Mt. St. Helens when she blew. Oh! And Katrina back in 2005 (hard to believe it was 19 yrs ago).

2) Now think of all of the events in history that happened BEFORE television was invented. What event (good or bad) do you think would have captured your attention and that would have had you glued to the TV over multiple days watching beginning to end news coverage? Titanic. The 1906 San Francisco Earthquake (definitely that one).

3) Don't want to get all Star Trek on you but can you split your thumb, pointer finger and middle finger apart from your ring finger and pinkie finger with both hands to make a V? (Go ahead, try it.) Was it easier to do with your dominant hand? Can do on both but easier with my non-dominant hand. And I can hold up three fingers only with the non-dominant hand. Weird.

4) Do you regret, later on in life, having donated money to any charity when you were younger? If yes, was it because the charity was a scam or because your opinion of what you support changed when you got older? Yes! Those damn charity requests that come in the mail. I didn't mind donating at the time but requests for more flooded in immediately, and that's what makes me mad.

1. The bed - cleanliness, sufficient blankets.
2. Bathroom cleanliness.
3. Towels.

Live long and prosper!
Have a great week!

Old 04-15-2024, 07:31 PM

37,797 posts, read 40,996,819 times
THE QUESTIONS

1) What multiple day news story in your lifetime kept you glued to the TV (or computer) every day it was covered? The JFK assassination and funeral, September 11 (I'm from NY and I was working in the DC area when they sent the DC federal workforce, me included, home), Katrina aftermath, and the DC sniper.

2) Now think of all of the events in history that happened BEFORE television was invented. What event (good or bad) do you think would have captured your attention and that would have had you glued to the TV over multiple days watching beginning to end news coverage? WW1, the bubonic plague.

3) Don't want to get all Star Trek on you but can you split your thumb, pointer finger and middle finger apart from your ring finger and pinkie finger with both hands to make a V? (Go ahead, try it.) Was it easier to do with your dominant hand? I can do it with both hands but it's easier with my dominant hand. That hand has trigger finger so I was surprised how easy it was with that hand. I wanted to see if it was easier for all of you with your dominant hand.

4) Do you regret, later on in life, having donated money to any charity when you were younger? If yes, was it because the charity was a scam or because your opinion of what you support changed when you got older? Yes. My opinion of what I supported changed when I got older.

1. What's in the bathtoom regarding the shower? If it's a shower tub combo, how high are the sides. Do I have enough towels and toilet paper.
2. Is there a sofa in the room and does the TV face the sofa, not the bed?
3. Does the refrigerator have a freezer?

Live long and prosper!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics