Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2007, 03:42 PM

2,909 posts, read 14,092,366 times

Advertisements

How much does crime and bad areas really lower property value? It seems like in some areas, the discount is only 10% while in other areas ive seen 3 to 4 times cheaper! Take Compton, CA for example. Why are houses so insanely expensive despite it being a very terrible crime city? Are the criminals buying from each other? Another thing, howcome in CA a good area/neighboorhood costs only like 20% more than bad, yet in Texas a bad area is half to a third the price of a good area?

Even in Florida, I see houses going for $200k in high crime neighboorhoods! If all you could afford was $200k, wouldnt you be much, much better in a different state where you can get a nicer house in a safe neighboorhood? Is it really worth living in a smaller, older house in a bad neighboorhood just to be in Florida? Is that the reason why prices are so high because some people dont care about the crime?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2007, 03:56 PM

702 posts, read 2,526,306 times
You do realize that people OTHER than criminals live in Compton? And I'm sure you already know that Compton, along with any other city with a bad rep for crime, is not all the same area, and not all run-down and dangerous. I've never been to Compton so I'm making that statement based on my knowledge of other cities with similar, unwarranted labels. Even the city with the worst economy, highest crime rate, lowest property values, most drug abuse, etc...even in a place like that there is a "wealthier area of town" or a few nice, clean, low-street-drama neighborhoods.

Besides, your question doesn't make sense. A more clearly posed question might be "How much does crime in a bad area NEAR YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD lower property values?"

Old 02-13-2007, 04:19 PM

10,186 posts, read 11,172,808 times
Most towns have a good and a bad

Do you make up your posts, just to see if you get responses?

I just don't get your thinking.........

Old 02-13-2007, 04:27 PM

669 posts, read 3,195,194 times
You need to take a whole city. There is no city (that I know of) where every single inch of concrete in the city is a dump. This makes no sense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics