Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2007, 06:42 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,208,767 times

Advertisements

I have never given up anything for lent, but the youth group at my church is asking us to consider giving up beverages and donate the money to build a well in Africa. The young man who spoke said that $1 will provide water to an adult for a year. I don't know that I can drink only water for 40 days- selfish, I guess, but have decided to give up Diet Coke. Using the money I will save will provide enough for about 80 people to have clean water for a year.

Just curious how many others have observed or will be observing lent and what kinds of things do you give up?

Oops.. meant to put this thread in other topics- not sure how to move.

Last edited by Magnolia Bloom; 02-21-2007 at 06:47 PM.. Reason: oops
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 06:52 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,344,055 times
Water is better for you anyway.

Old 02-21-2007, 11:56 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,503,957 times
One is supposed to give up something meaningful.

Lent is very meaningful to me, so I will give up Lent for Lent.

Old 02-22-2007, 12:04 AM

202 posts, read 833,763 times
Giving up Chocolate.

Old 02-22-2007, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pslOldTimer View Post
One is supposed to give up something meaningful.

Lent is very meaningful to me, so I will give up Lent for Lent.
Ha- funny! I guess I HAVE been observant all these years and just never knew it!

My son learned in confirmation class last night that the ashes come from the palms from Palm Sunday. Then he rubbed his hands together and said, so they come from our palms...... guess the instructor shouldn't have assumed...!

Old 02-22-2007, 08:31 AM

1,408 posts, read 5,095,750 times
I'm not Catholic, so I won't be observing Lent, but I think it's a great idea to give something up for a good cause. As an aside, I used to have a boss who said he gave up adultery for Lent! Then he went to church & supposedly was absolved of these sins, only to be back to his old ways by sundown. And then we wonder why people don't take Christianity seriously...

Old 02-22-2007, 08:45 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,985,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
I have never given up anything for lent, but the youth group at my church is asking us to consider giving up beverages and donate the money to build a well in Africa. The young man who spoke said that $1 will provide water to an adult for a year. I don't know that I can drink only water for 40 days- selfish, I guess, but have decided to give up Diet Coke. Using the money I will save will provide enough for about 80 people to have clean water for a year.

Just curious how many others have observed or will be observing lent and what kinds of things do you give up?

Oops.. meant to put this thread in other topics- not sure how to move.
Ironically enough, not only is your ceasing to drink the Diet Coke a great gesture for those African water wells but Diet Coke is terrible for your health! The aspertame in Diet Coke is the same chemical as it heats as formaldehyde used in embalming and also is formic acid, the same stuff fire ants use to kill their prey.
Getting away from Diet Coke for 40 days...you may be surprised that you feel better and some nagging things that may have puzzled you have disappeared. I hope so!
If you can, adopt a new drink that's non-diet when Lent is over and I'm glad for you!

Old 02-22-2007, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_TN_Nana View Post
I'm not Catholic, so I won't be observing Lent, but I think it's a great idea to give something up for a good cause. As an aside, I used to have a boss who said he gave up adultery for Lent! Then he went to church & supposedly was absolved of these sins, only to be back to his old ways by sundown. And then we wonder why people don't take Christianity seriously...
I'm not Catholic either- Methodist, which is guess why I've never thought about it. But my church here in Jax is somewhat different than others I have been to. Being Methodist, we don't have to ask for absolution via men. And, yes that whole forgiveness thing- I guess it is abused- but what about his conscience?! What a creep!

MoMark- Thank you for the (totally unsolicited ) advice re: diet coke.... I need the formaldehyde effects from the Diet Coke to prevent the cancer from entering my brain through my cell phone.

Old 02-22-2007, 10:50 AM

1,408 posts, read 5,095,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinfla View Post
MoMark- Thank you for the (totally unsolicited ) advice re: diet coke.... I need the formaldehyde effects from the Diet Coke to prevent the cancer from entering my brain through my cell phone.
Wonder if the Coke with Splenda is better as in "healthier?" That's what I buy most of the time anyway since we use Splenda in everything else (my husband is diabetic). Maybe MoMark is up on the effects of Splenda too! (See, we really do need a food and drink forum!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics