Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2008, 05:38 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,555,130 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure where to post this. I thought of putting it in "Politics & Other Controversies", because it involves gays and the acceptance of them, but on further reflection, it's more about internet censorship.

I frequent a message board run by my favorite author. She happens to have a gay son. Therefore, she is absolutely intolerant of anyone posting that they believe homosexuality is a choice, etc. She believes (and I agree) that such viewpoints are harmful and could put people like her son at risk of violence.

It doesn't matter how polite such posts would be, there is no room for dissenting opinion on her board. Anyone who posts such views will be immediately banned. Let me add that she pays to keep her board free of any advertising, and she has said many times that she considers the board to be her virtual living room.

Although I agree with her viewpoint about gay acceptance, about gay people being born that way and so on, I'm uncomfortable with that level of intolerance and censorship. How is it possible to change anyone's mind about such things if you won't even engage them in a dialog? I'm sure there are many people who would never change their minds, no matter what they're told or what scientific evidence shows to the contrary, but still...

I know that I have the right to silently leave her board as a form of protest, and that she has the right to run it however she sees fit. It still bothers me, though. Thoughts, anyone?

Last edited by SandyCo; 11-18-2008 at 06:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2008, 06:06 PM

5,404 posts, read 16,000,620 times
Her site, her rules! And really, who cares? No one else's beliefs really affect anyone else, if you don't let them!

Old 11-18-2008, 06:07 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,387,188 times
If she's paying for it she makes the rules I would think.

Old 11-18-2008, 06:47 PM

3,459 posts, read 5,796,550 times
As a parent, I get really annoyed by the people without kids who think they're experts on parenting.
As the parent of a gay child, she probably gets just as annoyed by people who don't have gay children but think that they're experts on parenting them

Old 11-19-2008, 06:20 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,543,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
I'm not sure where to post this. I thought of putting it in "Politics & Other Controversies", because it involves gays and the acceptance of them, but on further reflection, it's more about internet censorship.

I frequent a message board run by my favorite author. She happens to have a gay son. Therefore, she is absolutely intolerant of anyone posting that they believe homosexuality is a choice, etc. She believes (and I agree) that such viewpoints are harmful and could put people like her son at risk of violence.

It doesn't matter how polite such posts would be, there is no room for dissenting opinion on her board. Anyone who posts such views will be immediately banned. Let me add that she pays to keep her board free of any advertising, and she has said many times that she considers the board to be her virtual living room.

Although I agree with her viewpoint about gay acceptance, about gay people being born that way and so on, I'm uncomfortable with that level of intolerance and censorship. How is it possible to change anyone's mind about such things if you won't even engage them in a dialog? I'm sure there are many people who would never change their minds, no matter what they're told or what scientific evidence shows to the contrary, but still...

I know that I have the right to silently leave her board as a form of protest, and that she has the right to run it however she sees fit. It still bothers me, though. Thoughts, anyone?

Because it IS her board I have to agree that she is well within her rights to dictate what is said.

BUT...there is always one of these pesky little buts......

On a public board, my opinion takes a 180 degree turn around. People believe what they believe. They have reasons for this and the right to this.
They also have to right to state what these beliefs are. Nobody likes having other people's beliefs shoved down their throats.

Old 11-19-2008, 06:38 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,555,130 times
Thanks, everyone. I agree with all of it! I was really just venting. And if I cared enough, I guess I could start my own message board (um, no thanks!).

Old 11-19-2008, 11:24 AM

2,636 posts, read 6,651,159 times
Although I know that sexuality isn't a choice (I'm bi), I don't mind people expressing alternate viewpoints regarding this so long as they make it clear that it's their own opinion. Even if they may be misguided, the great thing about the societies we live in is that everyone is entitled to their own viewpoint, plus if everyone had the same opinions about everything then discussions would be pretty boring. I do, however, get annoyed when hetrosexual people say that being gay or bi or whatever is a choice and preach this as if it's fact because they don't have any experience of it themselves so really they're just speculating. This woman sounds like she's going somewhat overboard with the censorship though as she's basically denying people the right to free speech. After all, if she's straight then she doesn't know that it isn't a choice either so I guess her opinion is also speculative. In the end though, it's her site so she makes the rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics