Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 04:43 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,220,731 times

Advertisements

Some people can't stand tips ie what you pay for is enough and you shouldn't "have" to feel pressured to pay extra for someone just doing their job. Others feel that because it's a "customer service" and they dont' make much $, it's a good thing.

Obviously people who work in jobs that get tips (or that kind of business) will be biased, but wondering about the avg consumer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 04:49 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,755,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2000 View Post
Some people can't stand tips ie what you pay for is enough and you shouldn't "have" to feel pressured to pay extra for someone just doing their job. Others feel that because it's a "customer service" and they dont' make much $, it's a good thing.

Obviously people who work in jobs that get tips (or that kind of business) will be biased, but wondering about the avg consumer.
Tips are okay for people who go dine once in a blue moon.

But I go eat outside almost every day, pretty much and I find it very annoying that I have to turn in some extra bucks.

For instance, I have been to some places like 4 times a week because the food was top class. The tip's always fine the first day, but I don't really feel inclined to tip the people during the third or fourth day.

Old 02-26-2009, 04:54 PM

604 posts, read 1,187,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossus_Antonis View Post

But I go eat outside almost every day, pretty much and I find it very annoying that I have to turn in some extra bucks.

For instance, I have been to some places like 4 times a week because the food was top class. The tip's always fine the first day, but I don't really feel inclined to tip the people during the third or fourth day.
That makes no sense at all. Who's gonna bring your food and drink? When the servers catch on to this, no one will want to wait on you at all. You might want to get your food to go. Be sure and tip on that to-go order though.

Old 02-26-2009, 05:00 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,755,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbledeez View Post
That makes no sense at all. Who's gonna bring your food and drink? When the servers catch on to this, no one will want to wait on you at all. You might want to get your food to go. Be sure and tip on that to-go order though.
Well, tipping five continuous times will buy me a whole new meal.

As much as I respect the culture of tipping the waiters/waitresses, the flip side to that is the amount of money the customer turns in for tipping alone amounts to something.

And that's every individual's hard earned money, given the fact that all customers aren't super rich.

Professionally, the waiters/waitresses are paid by the restaurant to wait on customers and do everything they are supposed to do.

Tips are kind of excess baggage which tend to annoy people with frequency, however much you can argue. I don't cook at home a lot and I find tipping four to five times a week completely annoying

Old 02-26-2009, 05:12 PM

604 posts, read 1,187,433 times
Quote:
Well, tipping five continuous times will buy me a whole new meal.

As much as I respect the culture of tipping the waiters/waitresses, the flip side to that is the amount of money the customer turns in for tipping alone amounts to something.

And that's every individual's hard earned money, given the fact that all customers aren't super rich.

Professionally, the waiters/waitresses are paid by the restaurant to wait on customers and do everything they are supposed to do.

Tips are kind of excess baggage which tend to annoy people with frequency, however much you can argue. I don't cook at home a lot and I find tipping four to five times a week completely annoying
Tipping is part of eating out. It's the price you pay for convenience. It's the cost of being served. If you can't afford to tip, then don't eat out. If you eat out five times a week, you can afford to tip.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:35 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,685,242 times
The service would have to be both rude and atrocious for me not to tip for service.

If the service is that rude and bad (has happened), I won't set foot in there again, either.

I worked in a restaurant and people who don't tip accordingly, rest assured the staff -- and kitchen -- set priorities. Let's just say, something they wouldn't dream of giving to "the good ones" will be "reserved."
Remember, you get what you pay (and don't pay) for more than you realize. You're dealing with humans, not robots. And Karma can be a you-know-what. (Oh I've seen it!)

Old 02-26-2009, 09:08 PM

1,238 posts, read 1,415,852 times
Servers in restaurants are often paid well below minimum wage because they are expected to get tipped. Really tipping servers and such is a luxury for the customer, since if you get bad service then you have a legitimate reason to leave a 10% or less tip. Really the only other fair thing to do would be to raise a server's hourly wage while increasing menu prices, making you pay more anyways.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:19 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,706,174 times
I tip but it kinda pisses me off! Not because I am cheap but because resteraunt owners are. Whoever came up with this idea of tipping is a genious. "Hmmm lets pay our waiters/waitress nothing and put the extra expense on the consumer." What a brilliant plan so if you dont leave a tip your the as*hole instead of their cheap boss.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:21 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,746,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickeldude View Post
Servers in restaurants are often paid well below minimum wage because they are expected to get tipped. Really tipping servers and such is a luxury for the customer, since if you get bad service then you have a legitimate reason to leave a 10% or less tip. Really the only other fair thing to do would be to raise a server's hourly wage while increasing menu prices, making you pay more anyways.
This is true. I always feel for the servers. My sons worked in a restaurant, and they depend on tips because they can't make it on their salary. 20% is the going rate; anything less is cheap. If you eat out, be prepared to tip or get takeaway or fast food. It's really not a nice thing not to tip. If service is honestly bad, then no tip.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:23 AM

5,273 posts, read 14,561,861 times
Quote:

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, sounds like a married man, to me.

Tips are an interesting subject. I think it always appropriate (and necessary) to tip at a restaurant. I will vary my tip depending on the caliber of service, but not the caliber of food. I also make it a habit to say something specific to a particularly good waiter/waitress so they know they are a cut above. In general, I tip 10-20%. Many of these people work for minimum wage or less and it's standard to augment their wage.

I also always tip the person who cuts my hair. I miss the old days in small town america where I used to live when I went to a man's barber shop and we argued politics, sports and women- I didn't tip then. However, now that I unhappily live in megalopolis, I have been repeatedly told to tip the lady who zips thru my haircut in 10 minutes. I dunno, but $14 for a 10 minute haircut seems OK to me- but I tip anywhere from $2-5 depending on the quality of the cutter so ther next time in I don't get a mohawk or something like that.

I also tip taxi drivers, airport shuttle drivers and Stanley at the men's room at the hotel (ok, ok, that last one was a joke- if anyone approached me like that a size 10.5 shoe would insert itself up their yahoo.).

In general, tipping is called a 'gratuity' as it is also meant to show some appreciation for serving at a low wage. It's polite, thoughtful and appreciated. I'd hate to see it go away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics