Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 06:41 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,197,805 times

Advertisements

Do you have any stories of people like that?

I have a client at the shelter that tries to make himself appear to be more than what he is. He talks about all of his "clout" and how he can have the place "shut down".....LOL.

I think to myself: "If you're all that why are you living in a shelter?"

My appraoch is to do things quietly and unassuming. No need to make noise....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 06:47 AM

10,195 posts, read 11,180,307 times
Yes, and most of them are on message boards.

I laugh at people, like the one you mentioned. Really - if they can do this and that, why aren't they doing it?

Old 05-29-2009, 06:49 AM

Pretty much my way of thinking.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn2pieces View Post
Yes, and most of them are on message boards.

I laugh at people, like the one you mentioned. Really - if they can do this and that, why aren't they doing it?

Old 05-29-2009, 06:53 AM

1,691 posts, read 3,853,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Do you have any stories of people like that?

I have a client at the shelter that tries to make himself appear to be more than what he is. He talks about all of his "clout" and how he can have the place "shut down".....LOL.

My appraoch is to do things quietly and unassuming. No need to make noise....
it is a show of bravado. have you ever found out what that man might have done before falling on hard times? Maybe he was always that man in charge and well now he has no control over anything in his life. It mostly all gone. If he has one of those "have to control" personalities then it is self preservation bravado. Find out more about the man either that or just agree with him and see what he says.

The other ideas is that he could have a medical mental problem and that is a whole new ballgame there.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:59 AM

He is one of many "want to be" actors in Chicago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerowyn View Post
it is a show of bravado. have you ever found out what that man might have done before falling on hard times? Maybe he was always that man in charge and well now he has no control over anything in his life. It mostly all gone. If he has one of those "have to control" personalities then it is self preservation bravado. Find out more about the man either that or just agree with him and see what he says.

The other ideas is that he could have a medical mental problem and that is a whole new ballgame there.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:33 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,530,537 times
The thing is ...With the economy the way it is today your next door neighbor could be homeless next week..The man with 20 years in the auto industry, laid off and losing his home, the single mother who lost her job and health insurance, the retired couple who lost their life savings in the stock market..Too many times we ignore the homeless as a class a little lower in intelligence and common sense and therefore we pretend not to see them for who they are.
Many people down in their luck are not necessarily braggarts, but cling to what they had and the things they could be doing for the rest of us if they were not in such dire straits.
I have a daughter who would probably be facing homelessness except for the strong support and love of her family..and she has a job, a low paying one but is hanging on and is showing signs of depression because of her dependence in these hard times on us..
Many, many homeless ones don't have any family support...so are forced onto the streets and if are fortunate enough , they find room in a shelter and meals from those who understand, and do what they can to ease the pain of helplessness..even if it is reliving, and retelling the things they were able to accomplish while working..

Old 05-29-2009, 07:48 AM

What does that have to do with my question?

As it relates to folks in shelters......I manage a shelter and your example is a exception to the rule. MOST folks in shelters are: Drug addicts, fellons, mentally diabled and alcoholics. This does not mean they are bad people but that is a fact.

I have managed a few shleters in different cities and I have literaly seen thousands of people come and go. Your example IS NOT commom. Not even close.

Sure some do end up in shelters due to divorce, layoff,etc... but that's not the norm.

Back on topic......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
The thing is ...With the economy the way it is today your next door neighbor could be homeless next week..The man with 20 years in the auto industry, laid off and losing his home, the single mother who lost her job and health insurance, the retired couple who lost their life savings in the stock market..Too many times we ignore the homeless as a class a little lower in intelligence and common sense and therefore we pretend not to see them for who they are.
Many people down in their luck are not necessarily braggarts, but cling to what they had and the things they could be doing for the rest of us if they were not in such dire straits.
I have a daughter who would probably be facing homelessness except for the strong support and love of her family..and she has a job, a low paying one but is hanging on and is showing signs of depression because of her dependence in these hard times on us..
Many, many homeless ones don't have any family support...so are forced onto the streets and if are fortunate enough , they find room in a shelter and meals from those who understand, and do what they can to ease the pain of helplessness..even if it is reliving, and retelling the things they were able to accomplish while working..

Old 05-29-2009, 07:52 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,119,543 times
Miss Blue, once again I tried to rep you for a very compassionate post, but couldn't.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:01 AM

1,691 posts, read 3,853,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
What does that have to do with my question?

As it relates to folks in shelters......I manage a shelter and your example is a exception to the rule. MOST folks in shelters are: Drug addicts, fellons, mentally diabled and alcoholics. This does not mean they are bad people but that is a fact.

I have managed a few shleters in different cities and I have literaly seen thousands of people come and go. Your example IS NOT commom. Not even close.

Sure some do end up in shelters due to divorce, layoff,etc... but that's not the norm.

Back on topic......
why be upset with her? she was just trying to express herself with LIMITED knowledge about the situtation. You made a comment she replied with a show of compassion and understanding. So did I.

right now I am thinking you just want an arguement or to have people agree with you. Unfortunately I would like to think most of us will side with the gentleman. If you worked/managed/own shelters for so long then you should know better.

It is ok to let off steam. But not towards someone else who was trying to help or show some support or even express a good thought that might not be helpful to you but might be helpful to someone else who reads the thread.

Blessed Be. or Peace Out.

Old 05-29-2009, 08:14 AM

10,195 posts, read 11,180,307 times
Oh god - can't anyone ask a question without it going in another direction on here or being sugar coated? this is why I seldom post in this forum anymore.

I also wanted to add: I was not laughing that the man is homeless, as I've been purdy close to that myself. I was laughing at the fact - he implied he could shut the place down...Well if that was the case, then friggen do it.

The question is do you know people who make themselves bigger than what they are?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics