Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 12:24 PM

469 posts, read 2,737,130 times

Advertisements

What's been your oddest living arrangement to date? I'm sure a lot of us, being wild irresponsible youngsters or respectable members of society who were once wild irresponsible youngsters, have some odd or amusing stories. I actually have two which I think might tie for weirdness.

-- The time I lived for several days in a tent with some hippies in West Virginia.
-- The time me and two of my Americorps teammates lived in our bosses' garage in upstate NY. The cool part? Rock star David Bowie was our neighbor! Okay, so Iman didn't drop by with jello molds or anything, but I still thought that was totally cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 03:44 PM

6,044 posts, read 24,098,308 times
I don't know if it was that odd, but during my junior year of college, my dad (whom I'd been living with) moved out of state. My cousin said I could move in with her, but not for a few months. I had to pack up all my stuff, bring it to my cousin's, bring my cat to my boyfriend's, and truly live in my dorm. I remember one night I got really sick, and I was in bed. My roommate was in the kitchen with a friend and I overheard the friend ask why I didn't just go home. I felt terrible, because I had no home to go to!

Another odd but probably not uncommon living arrangement was when I had bought a home with my now ex-fiance. We bought the house, moved in...and within 3-4 months I knew it was all wrong. I broke things off, but I couldn't move out right away, so he moved into one of the extra bedrooms. It took about 6 weeks before I could move out. For the first few weeks, almost every night from his room he would cry really loud, just absolutely wailing and sobbing, while I was trying to sleep. No one cries that loud - I am sure he was deliberately trying to get my attention. Initially I felt sorry for him, but after several repeat performances it got really irritating, and I lost what little respect I had still had for him.

Old 04-23-2007, 04:06 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,842,411 times
I lived on a 58 foot commercial fishing boat in a boat harbor one winter. That may not be weird enough tho.

Old 04-24-2007, 10:44 AM

286 posts, read 1,587,596 times
Talking Who defines weird?

Looking at my current situation vs my history leading up to it, right now my situation is truly strange for me.

Due to our financial situation and once pending house being built (and economical state that Michigan is in), my hubby and I moved in with my father. Now, that doesn't seem too strange.. but, you gotta look at the details...
- his wife and step family HATES me
- we condensed the entirety of our 2 bedroom apt into a 10x16 storage unit and a 14x16 room that we spend majority of (we dont' share the rest of the house save the bath and kitchen), including 2 dogs!
- we have since started our own business that COMPETES with my father's self owned business that we currently are running out of his house

In the past, I've had situations that I have live 'no where' and just stayed with some people. My hubby, before meeting me, lived in the basement of the business he worked for.

Old 04-24-2007, 11:12 AM

4,273 posts, read 15,256,035 times
I had to live with 3 guys one summer. Being the only girl, it was weird seeing them bring strange girls over. I thought they were strange; they thought I was strange. It was just an overall strange experience.

The funny thing is: I married one of them!

Old 04-24-2007, 08:01 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,050,540 times
my exhusband lives in his on/off girlfriends exboyfriends garage, while she lives 1/2 the time in the garage w/him, and the other 1/2 the time in the house w/her ex. He is in his mid30s, and has been living like this for more than 2yrs now. kinda freaky imo.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:57 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,225,338 times
When I was younger, my best friend moved into my basement, but my best friend was a big, hairy lovable male. It was much like 3's Company, only I had a 4 year old daughter!
We had our own space, I dated (that is another story in itself, when an interested guy would call to ask me out and Jerry would answer the phone) and he had a girlfriend, but it was a little hard to describe to my family. We remained friends for many years after he moved out, but drifted away from each other after both of us married and began families. My daughter and I still talk about Jerry, how we would all play goofy games. He made up one that his friend and himself would pretend to be zoo animals and lumber around the house in search of "the girls". Quite fun, and lots of gut laughs. I haven't thought about that in years!

Old 04-25-2007, 07:47 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,623,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippienne View Post
-- The time I lived for several days in a tent with some hippies in West Virginia.
I read this and started laughing! It made me think, "A-la John Denver. Darn hippies!"

Old 04-25-2007, 10:40 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,540,413 times
I once ran as a trucking team (three weeks out, 4 days home) with a guy who'd left his false teeth (a FULL set! at a truck stop and never went back to get them...

Old 04-25-2007, 02:51 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,780,399 times
Bought a house with an ex boyfriend. We both wanted to buy a house and couldn't afford to do it alone. We did our own thing and everything worked out fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics