Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2007, 09:38 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,679,729 times

Advertisements

Wasn't sure where to post this because the Newscasts here are really making me angrier than the mother is. With so many stories of babies found in dumpsters and murdered, DE is one of the states which has a
"no questions asked" if a person does not want a baby and turns them over to a safer alternative.
Here's her note:
<<<<note found in the diaper of a toddler abandoned Saturday at Christiana Hospital pleads for help for the boy.

“Please help my baby John Vincent I can no longer take care of him. Lost job, lost medical. God have mercy on me,” the handwritten note reads.

Delaware State Police, who previously withheld delawareonline ¦ The News Journal, Wilmington, Del. ¦ Police release note found with toddler abandoned at hospital

They have identified the mother but, because the little one is 11 months old (considered "Toddler" not "Baby", as they apparently have some sort of age limit), she is just a criminal and she's plastered all over the news. I would have many other choice adjectives for her if not for her note, the fact that she left him at a hospital, and all the lowlives killing their unwanted babies & dumping them in dumpsters, on roadsides, a toilet at a PROM in Jersey some years back, and on and on and on.

Didn't wish to put this in parenting because I have more of an issue with how the media/law is handling this woman (girl?), and her note was certainly "not the norm" on our newscasts because the babies are found just dead /murdered so, SO often.

If some scared cokehead seeing this criminal all over the news wants to dump her baby, what's going to encourage her and her scummy "boyfriend" (always the case) to "do the right thing with no questions asked"?

I'm not defending her for abandoning her baby. But it's better that she chose an alternative to what's normally making the news.

Had to vent, I don't even want to watch the news, but can hear the blasted TV in the kitchen as family watches... The buckets who murder their babies and hide don't get this much attention with the police on our newscasts/papers.

Last edited by Travel'r; 06-15-2007 at 09:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 09:57 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,812,105 times
Damn...and I would love to have more children. That is so unfair. I had to fight tooth and nail to have kids. And these people are leaving babies on doorsteps or worse? That ain't right.

Old 06-16-2007, 08:56 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,679,729 times
I hear ya. And when a nice couple tries to adopt, it's easier to get a job as part of the President's Secret Service detail.

Thanks for letting me vent. Was thinking I should change my name to Dingler ...

Old 06-16-2007, 10:23 AM

Oh don't do that! One of those is enough!

Old 06-16-2007, 11:39 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,203,960 times
I agree with you. It's a shame. It's also a shame that she felt that this was the best option that she had. As a society we can do better.

Rance, I've recently read of "pet sharing" among folks. I am thinking of sharing my children. I have a 13YO boy who would love to have a guy show him how to do outdoorsy things.

Old 06-16-2007, 12:00 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,544,859 times
It's better to abandon the baby than to leave it in a car with the windows up in the middle of summer! A woman did just that in the Inland Empire out here earlier this week. Luckily, the toddler was smart enough to start honking the horn to get people's attention! The woman's excuse was that she thought the child wasn't in the car, that someone else was watching him. Huh?! How do you not know the kid is in the car with you?

Old 06-16-2007, 12:01 PM

Well I'd be more than happy to teach him outdoor survival skills HIF. Hunting, fishing, shelter building, fire starting, food gathering, boating skills, telling time with the sun, shooting a beer, how to pick up chicks...you name it!
Actually there is nothing more rewarding than teaching kids outdoorsy stuff. And the look on their face when they see their first bear, or hook that first salmon, or climb a mountain and look down at the world...is absolutely priceless. Yeah...I'd do that. I'm pretty good at it actually.
I actually love kids. And the younger they are...the more I like em. I have no words to describe how I feel when I see articles about abandon, neglected or abused children. It hits me hard right in the chest.

Old 06-16-2007, 01:31 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,203,960 times
Okay, now I am convinced that you are a VL composite guy. Before responding, you log on to tellthemwhattheywanttohear.com, get the best response, then post it. I can see my son peeing in the woods with glee.

To stay on topic- I once took in the sweetest 8 YO boy whose dad had lost their place to stay. Brad. I've often wondered what he is up to. Have had a number of others bunk in with us for a few months- official foster kids and unofficially when parents were at their wits end.

One that I am in occasional contact with is 31 YO now. Wow- how did she get so old, yet I am still young?! She is a very talented artist and a really special person. Her life has been so hard- when I think of her I buy a lotto ticket, as I would love to have the ability to get her a place near me with her own artist studio.

Another kid I got when he was 14. He tried to burn his house down and his folks moved out of state when he went into the hospital to have his apendix removed. He wasn't going to school and, within a couple of months was moved to honors English. All he needed was routine and three hots a day to blossom.

Both of those kids were said to be mentally ill. I figured that they were the normal ones in their families and that's why they acted out. Or else maybe once they got into my home, mentally ill was the norm- LOL!

No mother should have to go through the torture that the mom who abandoned her toddler has gone through. And still is going through. It's Saturday, time to buy a lotto ticket!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Well I'd be more than happy to teach him outdoor survival skills HIF. Hunting, fishing, shelter building, fire starting, food gathering, boating skills, telling time with the sun, shooting a beer, how to pick up chicks...you name it!
Actually there is nothing more rewarding than teaching kids outdoorsy stuff. And the look on their face when they see their first bear, or hook that first salmon, or climb a mountain and look down at the world...is absolutely priceless. Yeah...I'd do that. I'm pretty good at it actually.
I actually love kids. And the younger they are...the more I like em. I have no words to describe how I feel when I see articles about abandon, neglected or abused children. It hits me hard right in the chest.

Old 06-16-2007, 01:58 PM

1,806 posts, read 5,704,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
It's better to abandon the baby than to leave it in a car with the windows up in the middle of summer! A woman did just that in the Inland Empire out here earlier this week. Luckily, the toddler was smart enough to start honking the horn to get people's attention! The woman's excuse was that she thought the child wasn't in the car, that someone else was watching him. Huh?! How do you not know the kid is in the car with you?
Yeah - we have 'misplaced' children all the time down here...last case that completely sent me over the edge was a few years ago...some young woman is in a flea-market mall with her sister or someone and "loses" her baby. Left the kid there, something like that.
She then says she forgot the child was with her, thought it was with her sister - but her sister was with her!? The story kept evolving and becoming more absurd.

JUST SAY "NO" TO CRACK!

Old 06-16-2007, 06:27 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,224,415 times
Personally, I find the woman's actions to be admirable. That makes her a heroine in my book. Knowing the limits at which survival becomes to much to handle and attempting to place your child in a safe situation.

The condemnation becomes an unfair and questionable act, at best. Who are the people in the media to judge? Have they ever gone hungry? Have they ever been desperate? If not, they should walk a mile in this woman's shoes. Leaving a child on the doorstep to a hospital means it was a reasoned act. The note says it all. There are so many people who would do anything to get a child in their lives. And for someone who cared enough to let go when things became unmanageable, that speaks volumes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics