Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 06:03 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,580,622 times

Advertisements

I live in the mountains and am pretty much protected from tornadoes, and hurricanes, but I have family in other places who are affected by those storms and other weather related happenings, like the wildfires that occurr so much in California and seem to be occurring more often. I have always wanted to be able to ask a real weatherologist or meteotologist about some of the terms we hear when a storm is threatened. Is anyone out there under a severe weather warning at the time, and are you prepared for it, or are you just so used to the warnings that you kind of don;t take them seriously anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 06:46 PM

23,036 posts, read 34,473,780 times
You are so blessed to live in the mountains! I pay close attention to the weather, I love to watch the weather channel, I'm fascinated by it. I always know the forecast for my area and areas in N.C. and Tenn and I do pay close attention to the watches and warnings.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:49 PM

19,981 posts, read 30,372,493 times
blue, we dont get many tornados up this way,,but we do get the severe thunderstorm warnings,,,personally,,i like to watch the lightning and listen to crackling thunder,(as long as no one gets hurt)

i did get caught in a hail storm a few years back,,,the size of golf balls,,pelting off the car,,

Old 06-03-2007, 06:51 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,405,164 times
There are plenty of warnings here. In fact there were 2 today. A flash flood warning and a severe thunderstorm warning. There have been a few tornado warnings as well.

Do I pay much attention to them? Not really. If it's going to hit what can I do about it? Not much. All I can do is hope I live through it.

Old 06-03-2007, 06:55 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,169,394 times
I was on the road when an emergency warning was sounded but I was unaware of until I got back to my digs. Torrential ran; soup-fog and the start of road flooding.

I have became more cautious in driving in weather like this--and in fact, I went off the road for nearly an hour because visibility was nil--I couldn't see the road, a sign or the yellow road marks.

But, one can never be prepared or prepared enough for all these increased weather changes.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:14 PM

11,422 posts, read 24,547,126 times
We had a tropical storm come through yesterday that I was completely unaware of till the night before. Usually I keep up with weather trends, but for some reason I've been a bit distracted.

Fortunately we got some much needed rain and the wind wasn't too bad.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:14 PM

1,712 posts, read 4,240,672 times
I've done some tornado chasing back in the day, and there's nothing like it. Actually - once or twice, I was chased BY tornadoes!

I've done this stuff to study thunderstorms and tornadoes and how they work, so we can increase the advance warning time. Like that recent EF-5 tornado that leveled the town of Greensburg, KS... there was JUST enough advance warning time, and many lives were saved. It could've been worse.

Here in DC (including MD and VA), we get mostly wind and hail... and occasional F1, F2, F3 tornadoes thrown into the mix.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:19 PM

23,036 posts, read 34,473,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
We had a tropical storm come through yesterday that I was completely unaware of till the night before. Usually I keep up with weather trends, but for some reason I've been a bit distracted.

Fortunately we got some much needed rain and the wind wasn't too bad.
I'm glad you're ok, this is Hurricane Season and I for one will relieved when it's over.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:23 PM

11,422 posts, read 24,547,126 times
Tropical storms are usually quite lovely (unlike full-fledged hurricanes) except for the beach erosion they cause. We're having problems in that department, unfortunately.

Old 06-03-2007, 07:36 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,580,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCNative View Post
I've done some tornado chasing back in the day, and there's nothing like it. Actually - once or twice, I was chased BY tornadoes!

I've done this stuff to study thunderstorms and tornadoes and how they work, so we can increase the advance warning time. Like that recent EF-5 tornado that leveled the town of Greensburg, KS... there was JUST enough advance warning time, and many lives were saved. It could've been worse.

Here in DC (including MD and VA), we get mostly wind and hail... and occasional F1, F2, F3 tornadoes thrown into the mix.
Is this your job, or are you just a daredevil. I know that people do this sort of thing as part of their job. I do know that tornados develop so rapidly and move so fast that the warning system is really troublesome. I remember hearing some of the Greensburg residents credited their lives to the advance warning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics