Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How do we become who we are?
Nature 2 10.00%
Nurture 3 15.00%
Both nature and nurture 15 75.00%
This is too much for my brain to comprehend. 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 11:26 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,251,717 times

Advertisements

I took a psychology class my senior year of high school and one of the topic we discussed was nature versus nurture. Are we who we are because the environment affects how we turn out (nurture) or are we born who we are (nurture)? My personal belief is that it is both. Our personality is innate to an extent and then molded by the environment.

So what do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 12:19 AM

15,603 posts, read 39,823,601 times
Well for me...nature. Sure I have great parents that did a damn fine job of raising me. But growing up where I did...nature was a very vital part of my life. I've learned from observing animals in the wild, from the weather, from the water, and the terrain. Living in a very rural area gardens had to be planted, animals hunted or fished for food, stocking the pantry so to speak for winter. You learn to waste nothing, utilize everything, and take nothing for granted, including people. I'm not sure this is the answer you were looking for. I voted way over my head. I'm just a dumb country boy with no college. But I am the nicest guy you will ever meet. And I try to influence others to be the same.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:27 AM

3,814 posts, read 6,784,407 times
If I were a product of nature, I would be drunk in a gutter somewhere right now instead of my nice cozy home.

I am who I am and will continue to grow into the person that God intended me to be.

Of course my background has given me a few obstacles, but I choose not to get stuck in my past. So I guess it's a little of both, but I lean more towards nurture.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:36 AM

3,814 posts, read 6,784,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsavvy View Post
If I were a product of nature, I would be drunk in a gutter somewhere right now instead of my nice cozy home.
OK I'm not drunk right now in my nice cozy home, just wanted to clarify that.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:45 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,297,053 times
I believe its both.

I am adopted and for me there are things that I do that are so directly from my adopted family it frightens me sometimes because they are a disfunctional bunch...

However there are some other things that are exactly like my biological family. Mind you my birth Mother never even saw me when I was born and I didn't find her until I was in my mid 20s...

Odd little things like I have an extreme aversion to seeds, I won't eat certain foods because of them, I had never met anyone with that issue until I met my birth Mother.

I have always had a bizarre obsession with solid white cats and solid black cats...since I was a very small child...so does my birth Mother.

Our general attitude is similar, take no prisoners kind of thing as well. I sprang from the womb rebellious and stayed that way no matter what my adopted parents tried, it didn't work...so is my birth Mother.

Old 06-06-2007, 01:49 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,032,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rance View Post
Well for me...nature. Sure I have great parents that did a damn fine job of raising me. But growing up where I did...nature was a very vital part of my life. I've learned from observing animals in the wild, from the weather, from the water, and the terrain. Living in a very rural area gardens had to be planted, animals hunted or fished for food, stocking the pantry so to speak for winter. You learn to waste nothing, utilize everything, and take nothing for granted, including people. I'm not sure this is the answer you were looking for. I voted way over my head. I'm just a dumb country boy with no college. But I am the nicest guy you will ever meet. And I try to influence others to be the same.
You are pretty nice for a dummy!

Old 06-06-2007, 05:09 AM

18,431 posts, read 34,354,404 times
Sure, our parents loved us, but I dont feel like they nurtured us, I think when I had my first child nature took its course, and my children are nurtured.

I think for everyone it is different.

I chose Nature on the poll...

Old 06-06-2007, 06:05 AM

5,297 posts, read 6,291,013 times
I think its both.
I think parents instill things in us,and as the world changes around us it molds us into who we are.

Old 06-06-2007, 08:30 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,251,717 times
great points guys!

Old 06-06-2007, 08:38 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,116,943 times
I voted both. I remember a discussion about identical twins at a lunchroom years ago at a psych hospital where I worked. The twins were born just minutes apart; so different you'd have thought they hadn't been born from the same mother. No explaining it really, so I believe we declared it a combination of nature and nurture (with nature predominating).

But more recently, I also subscribe to behavior change!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics