Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 07:54 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,214,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Yes, where in the hell does all that money go???
Into that big, sucking black hole called "Washington DC", never to be seen again.

Today I live comfortably and happily on an income that escapes the stealth hand in my pocket....at least on a federal level. Nevertheless, the vampires have their teeth into us all, one way or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 08:17 AM

11,874 posts, read 11,050,220 times
One of the worst, at least IMO, is when I hear from retirees who are considering moving to a lower cost of living area that their social security/retirement income is taxed. I mean really, didn't they pay enough taxes when they were working There's enough taxes being charged on everything else they shouldn't tax ss, pensions or have inheritance taxes. It's bad enough being on say SS then having to pay huge taxes on everything else that it makes it hard to get by, but . . . and when we really, really think about it look at where all those tax dollars are going. Disgusting.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:03 AM

259,024 posts, read 90,637,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c21boquetebocasgold View Post
One of the worst, at least IMO, is when I hear from retirees who are considering moving to a lower cost of living area that their social security/retirement income is taxed. I mean really, didn't they pay enough taxes when they were working There's enough taxes being charged on everything else they shouldn't tax ss, pensions or have inheritance taxes. It's bad enough being on say SS then having to pay huge taxes on everything else that it makes it hard to get by, but . . . and when we really, really think about it look at where all those tax dollars are going. Disgusting.
Well said. Post of the day.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:36 AM

44,635 posts, read 61,653,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Yes, where in the hell does all that money go???
Political perks, earmarks, politicians lifetime benefits, and their retirement fund..and oh yes, overseas to other countries helping others instead of our own.

Old 04-11-2010, 09:54 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,307,727 times
I agree with Satx56. Where DOES it all go??? I'm thinking about the "tax fees" in my communications bills (Verizon, Comcast), yet they continue to go up.

And now my sodas will start getting taxed, too.

It's one of the irksome, upsetting things about living in a liberal place where people carelessly pass any and everything on ballots as though they have money to burn. It really makes me mad.

Old 04-11-2010, 12:39 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,894,490 times
Red face I'll be the bad guy today!

Ok,,, don’t get me wrong I too dislike paying too much in taxes, I don’t know anyone who enjoys the idea. That being said, I can say that I enjoy all of the things my tax dollars bring me: highways that are upgraded and improved, libraries, courts and a legal system, schools, hospitals & medical for those who need help, a VA program for our veterans, a military defense for the nation, programs for the elderly and those needy in our populations, federal and local airports and flight controlling of aircraft, controlled sea ports for the ships that unload all the items you buy at Walmart, help for the children that would not have otherwise received it, school lunch programs, agricultural farming assistance for growing crops in the country, school assistance for those attending college, law enforcement federal and local, the list goes on and on. It’s a nation that’s being run on our taxes and it’s one of the best nations in the world,,,, even with the problems we have! The largest percentage of people in the world want to come HERE; here because we have what we have as a nation that we paid for. And yes,,,, I’m happy to pay my taxes this year and everyday that I buy items to keep what we have around. No other nation in the world can provide all that this country gives us, you paid for and bought it.

Now stop sniveling!
If you and I didn’t pay for this we wouldn’t have it around.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:02 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,411,363 times
Phone bill taxes are ridiculous and one of the reasons people give up their landlines.

Did you know something like 38cts a gallon for gas goes to taxes? Sure would help a lot of hard working people if they would lay off that bs.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:07 PM
bjh

60,096 posts, read 30,411,363 times
Default I'll be the good guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Ok,,, don’t get me wrong I too dislike paying too much in taxes, I don’t know anyone who enjoys the idea. That being said, I can say that I enjoy all of the things my tax dollars bring me: highways that are upgraded and improved, libraries, courts and a legal system, schools, hospitals & medical for those who need help, a VA program for our veterans, a military defense for the nation, programs for the elderly and those needy in our populations, federal and local airports and flight controlling of aircraft, controlled sea ports for the ships that unload all the items you buy at Walmart, help for the children that would not have otherwise received it, school lunch programs, agricultural farming assistance for growing crops in the country, school assistance for those attending college, law enforcement federal and local, the list goes on and on. It’s a nation that’s being run on our taxes and it’s one of the best nations in the world,,,, even with the problems we have! The largest percentage of people in the world want to come HERE; here because we have what we have as a nation that we paid for. And yes,,,, I’m happy to pay my taxes this year and everyday that I buy items to keep what we have around. No other nation in the world can provide all that this country gives us, you paid for and bought it.

Now stop sniveling! If you and I didn’t pay for this we wouldn’t have it around.

The point is we ARE being taxed much more than in the past and it's only going to get worse unless people stop buying vowells from Vanna and buy a clue.

We need things like roads, etc. WE all know that. We don't need awesome bureacratic waste of literally billions per year. Nor do we need social programs that do more harm than good and condition some to suckle from the teat of governemtn forevermore.

Old 04-11-2010, 01:11 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,894,490 times
Lightbulb Who didn't pay

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
With tax day fast approaching --the multiplicity of taxes we pay over and over, i.e. cell phone bill, phone bill,cable,utilities,etc.

(Can you tell who has to pay again this year?-LOL)
Do you know who didn't pay any US tax this past year?
Spoiler
GE & EXXONMOBILE paid zero tax to our government!

and I'm sure there are others!

Old 04-11-2010, 01:32 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,859,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post

Now stop sniveling! If you and I didn’t pay for this we wouldn’t have it around.
My original post wasn't about fed,state,county,property taxes as those are a given in life-it's those cute little taxes and fees that are added innocuously to your telelphone,cell,utilitiy bills-our dollars are taxed to death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics