Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 12:13 PM

445 posts, read 1,329,243 times

Advertisements

From your friends in Idaho, USA:

We were shocked to hear about the terrible train derailment in the charming community of Lac-Megantic in Quebec. Our hearts and prayers to the people in and around the community and to their loved ones and friends wherever they may be. We wish you a quick recovery.

pimit2 (Bob)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 12:42 PM

11,222 posts, read 16,437,330 times
Geez louise, this is the first I've heard of it. My feelings and well wishes echo yours, pimit2.

It is BAD. Apparently the train was a runaway.
The mayor says the city center is destroyed. At least 30 buildings in the core.

Thank you to our friends south of the border, providing much needed help with fire crews.

Pics of the incident:

Old 07-06-2013, 05:16 PM

18,221 posts, read 25,871,803 times
There's been a lot of coverage on this on the cable news stations this afternoon. Am watching NBC Nightly News right now with more coverage. I can see a lot of Red Cross volunteers on the scene.

I am just stunned by the devastation here.

Thoughts and prayers being sent from western Colorado to our good neighbors to the north.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:53 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
Same from your neighbors to the south in New Hampshire.

Old 07-08-2013, 11:52 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,455,039 times
While the scale of the damage is huge, and the potential death toll is staggering..............

I have to wonder if this was a deliberate act, to create a disaster that involves oil tanker cars ?

Going by the information that the Quebec Provincial Police have released so far.........

The train was "parked for the night " and the air brakes were set, and the locomotive was not running. This particular railway company has reduced it's train crews, down to ONE lone engineer, and they don't operate at night.............all to save money.

The train was located out side of the town, but on a higher elevation, so when it started rolling , it was aided by gravity, and of course the weight of 77 railcars, filled with liquid petroleum product.

The inevitable crash happened in the middle of the town of Lac Megantic, at a rail junction point. When the cars went off the tracks, and the cars broke open, there was an explosion, followed by a huge fire.

Most of the estimated 40 missing people, are thought to have been in a local bar, that is located next to the tracks. So far the death toll is five dead, but I am sure that will go up. About six square blocks of the downtown part of the town have been flattened, and burned.

So, my question is this. How does a train, with a locomotive engine that is not running, move ? To me the answer is that some one uncoupled the engine from the rail cars, and got it moving downhill.

Now the other question is "who benefits " from something like this ? Not the railway, not the insurance company, and surely not the people who are dead. To me that leaves a few possible groups. The anti oil pipeline groups, the eco nuts, and the anti globalisation anarchists. And of course the "home grown terrorist " factions. That's four potential sources for this kind of action.

We will see what comes out, as the investigation continues.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:08 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,818,958 times
Ask someone who works for a railroad. They will tell you how such an accident can happen.

Old 07-09-2013, 05:27 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,811,485 times
Someone said "one locomotive was shut down". Does that mean there was another left running? IIRC when the brake air line running the length of the train is emptied all the brakes are set. I am not certain of this. Does anyone on here drive trains?

Fortunately these accidents are very rare.

Old 07-13-2013, 02:54 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times
From what i've read there were 5 locomotives and 72 cars, the locomotives were left idling while the engineer went to a local motel to sleep, sometime after that one of the engines caught fire, the fire department arrived and put the fire out and in the process shut down one of the engines,sometime after that event the train started to roll away . Who's at fault? what led to the train rolling away? at this point we can only speculate..

Old 07-13-2013, 07:04 AM

2,869 posts, read 4,455,039 times
Five locomotives ? In the Rocky Mountains, maybe, but in eastern Canada, no.

The CEO of the MMA railway has to be the most insensitive idiot that I have seen , ever.

He shows up FIVE days after the crash, doesn't have the sense to bring a French speaking associate, and acts as if his OWN employee is to blame for this tragedy. That is a great way to NOT make a positive impression. Idiot.

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 07-13-2013, 08:01 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times
5 locomotives seems to be the numbers i'm reading...

Lac-Megantic train explosion: 5 things we know, 5 things we don’t know | Toronto Star

Chronology of key events leading up to the Lac-Megantic disaster | CTV News

Confessions of a Train Geek: First Thoughts on the Lac-Mégantic Disaster

http://www.cluesforum.info/viewtopic...f3364e01c53d37
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau