Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2014, 10:27 PM

145 posts, read 256,975 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have a job offer in Ottawa and if nothing else comes up I will be moving there in the spring.
I've been wanting to get a German Shepherd for years now but after looking up apartments using sites like Kijiji and many others, all of the stuff that comes up have breed restrictions or only allow small dogs.
I know I'd have better luck looking at private condos to rent but not finding very many that could be in my price range. I'll most likely have roommates as I don't think I can go over $600/month.
I guess if I can't find anything I can deal with it and wait longer, as having a place to sleep is more important than a pet, but still hoping to find something. Hoping some apartment dwellers with GSD's can point me in the right direction.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 04:16 AM

1,483 posts, read 1,381,571 times
I live in Ottawa and there are a lot of people who do live in apartments with dogs. Most do tend to be smaller dogs, but I've run across pet owners who are renting and have large-breed dogs as well.

Rent here does tend to be rather high, but sometimes you can get lucky and find a place that's reasonable (sometimes rentals in private homes can be good). You could always try looking into OCH (Ottawa Community Housing) as they do have a geared-to-income rent; I don't know much more about it than that though...i.e., if there is a very long waiting list, for instance, but they do allow dogs, as long as the owners are responsible in having the pet not disturb others, clean up after them, etc. Here's a link to their website:

Renting from OCH

And here's a link to a list of regulations and rules when renting in Ottawa:

Ottawa Rental Rules - Ottawa Apartment Rental Guide

A bit of a heads-up about Ottawa and dogs...this city has very strict regulations concerning dogs. If you have a vehicle it makes life a lot easier, but if you don't, be aware that dogs - and any other pet, even as small as a mouse - are not permitted on any mode of public transit (bus, go-train) and while there are a lot of parks in the city, most either have very strict leash laws (dog not allowed off leash) or they are not allowed in the park at all. Conroy Pit is one area where you can take your dog and they can run off leash, it's set in a large semi-wooded area and can get very crowded on the weekends. But again, you need a vehicle to get there. There are a couple of pet taxi services operating her, but that's all. Something to consider if you don't have a car.

Afraid I can't offer much more than that, but best of luck to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau