Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 08:30 AM

26,947 posts, read 38,318,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcan1634 View Post
There are only a few safe good areas left in Ottawa. Now 10 years ago things were alot better and safer. Ottawa has alot of gang activity and the liberal police and court system dont care. They continue to get away with horrible activities, sexual assaults on women, theft etc. Ottawa has had 17 homocides since Jan 1st 2014 its now Aug -that is double from last years. 13 of these are gangs! I think all the gangs are foreign. For the size of ottawa- halifax is the same size and they have no gangs and less than half the homocide rate of ottawa. Dont believe the media-they dont tell the truth. Its unsafe for single women to go out at night now i ottawa by bus or walking. There is an area called Heron that is very very bad-its so bad people dont go in the daytime there, its filled with nasty gangs-even around walmart. South Keys is another bad area!

The Glebe appears to be one of the best areas of ottawa but there are alot of liberals and gays. Its safe however as its also close to Ottawa U.......good luck!

White woman here 7 years!
This is absolutely false. The vast majority of Ottawa is nice and 97% of areas in the city are completely safe. It is one of the safest cities of its size anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 07:34 AM

2 posts, read 3,084 times
The woman talking about gangs sounds a bit biased what with the bits about foreigners and gays. Ottawa has a few "rough" neighbourhoods but the idea that there's only a few safe areas left is false, if anything there's only a few really dangerous areas.

I'd third both Elgin and the Market. Centretown is cool but quieter. I would add that Hintonburg is a neat spot just West of downtown, with some young professionals moving in, some art happenings, and a number of good local bars, shops, breweries, and cafes opening up. The downside is I'm pretty sure it's dead at night compared to all the other places mentioned (no clubs just bars), so it would probably be better to swing by and visit than live if you're looking to party a lot. It also has a bit of an edge to it in spots, although the Market does too just in different ways.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:12 PM

3 posts, read 4,581 times
I have lived in the "byward market/Lowertown" area for 4 years now and dont have to complain, it is nice, taken care of and entertaining.

When are you moving in?

Old 05-17-2017, 07:41 AM

1 posts, read 717 times
Default Rediculous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcan1634 View Post
There are only a few safe good areas left in Ottawa. Now 10 years ago things were alot better and safer. Ottawa has alot of gang activity and the liberal police and court system dont care. They continue to get away with horrible activities, sexual assaults on women, theft etc. Ottawa has had 17 homocides since Jan 1st 2014 its now Aug -that is double from last years. 13 of these are gangs! I think all the gangs are foreign. For the size of ottawa- halifax is the same size and they have no gangs and less than half the homocide rate of ottawa. Dont believe the media-they dont tell the truth. Its unsafe for single women to go out at night now i ottawa by bus or walking. There is an area called Heron that is very very bad-its so bad people dont go in the daytime there, its filled with nasty gangs-even around walmart. South Keys is another bad area!

The Glebe appears to be one of the best areas of ottawa but there are alot of liberals and gays. Its safe however as its also close to Ottawa U.......good luck!

White woman here 7 years!

I'm from Montréal and moving to Ottawa for work. I have to say, reading your comments scared me because it goes in the sens of some stereotypes that I've had. I feared that Ottawa has a lot of cold and paranoid anglo-saxon women. Reading your comments only fed into my stereotypes, especially the final paragraph. Apologies if this is offensive to anyone else but...damn talk about a walking stereotype.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau