Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2014, 08:31 PM

5 posts, read 7,714 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'm thinking of buying a house in Vanier, between Montreal and Montfort. I am not familiar with the neighbourhood and I would appreciate your views on safety, access to services and transit for a single woman....

Are property values in Vanier really going up? Is my investment a good one? The house seems pretty solid on a quiet street during the day. Neighbours are a mix of seniors and middle aged folks.

Thanks for all your views/advice.

-KTP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2014, 08:34 PM

3 posts, read 6,867 times
Not an expert on the area but visit there often due to friends and family. During the day it's fine but at night it is kinda sketch, especially towards Montreal Road if you are waiting for a bus after dark. There is a strip club nearby (Playmate) that attracts some shady clientele. Access to transit is ok but you are not near any transitway routes relying primarily on the 9, 12, 7 or 5. That's just my two cents but I defer to the area experts.

Good luck on your property search.

Yvette

Old 07-23-2014, 12:13 PM

5 posts, read 6,815 times
You should walk the neighborhood at night to get a better feeling. Yet, pack you gun just in case (no-joke). If you buying to rent out the property then closer to Montreal road the better. Closer to Vanier Parkway is even better.

Old 07-24-2014, 07:33 PM

Thanks 314314! I will take a walk at night on your recommendation. Thanks for the opinion on renting.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:04 PM

344 posts, read 814,898 times
Agreed on walking at night, but in general I wouldn't worry about living there, unless you're a 4 foot tall 90 year old. It's fine; some areas better than others, as you'll see. One question would be whether there are other areas than Vanier that also might be worth considering as well.

One other thing, and more importantly as someone originally from Ottawa who has lived in other cities...RENT FIRST in the area you're interested in, THEN decide. Rent for a month or weekly. Don't buy immediately; rent, and wander the neighborhood. Same applies to any area of interest.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:21 PM

Good food for thought Sunluv! I am definitely over 4 feet and under 50. lol

Areas outside of Vanier but still close to downtown are already over $400k which I simply cannot afford. At least Vanier is near downtown, still has some reasonably prices homes and the area is improving; even if slowly but gradually... I really aim to rent to students or working adults so I keep the faith that I won't regret it.

I wish I could do the rent experiment in the area but I am locked into a lease at the moment. It will be a priority to travel down at night and even hang out during the day time hours to see if it is safe, eerie or other. I have to make time for that.

Thanks for all the good feedback so far!

Old 07-26-2014, 12:38 PM

344 posts, read 814,898 times
Other areas that are close that might be alternatives:

Just off Lebreton Flats, around Bay, etc.

Just north of Rideau, around Charlotte, Chapel, etc. It's Lowertown.

In Vanier, I think that areas around Donald might be quieter, more pleasant, though catching buses from there might be harder.

Old 08-03-2014, 10:29 PM

Many thanks for the leads Sunluv.

Actually, I did visit around Montreal Road late Friday night and it was not a good scene. Prostitutes all over the streets cursing and Johns were out in numbers. Some kept slowing down to decipher what I was as I anxiously waited for the bus. I did not like the vibe at all.

I agree that around Donald is much better but as you rightly indicate, transport is not so easy. I will never want to wait for transport at night on Montreal Rd. I will be looking at alternatives as a result of what I saw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau