Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 11:37 PM

174 posts, read 214,233 times

Advertisements

So... I'm planning to move there in the near future (from Houston) and changed my profile on match.com to the Ottawa area. Instantly, I went from literally HUNDREDS of eligible single women within 30 miles of me to about... oh, a dozen or so, and after that the nearest ones starting being in Kitchener and Toronto. What's up?? Is match not a popular dating site there? If not, how do local (middle-aged, in my case) singles meet? I hope I'm not moving to a singles wasteland...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 04:57 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,065,890 times
Ottawa in Canada has a reputation for being a good place for single men looking for women. Apparently there are a lot more young single women than young single men. So lots of choice. This is the rep though, not sure about actual stats. You should be fine.

Old 06-18-2016, 05:22 AM

3,423 posts, read 4,372,143 times
The clubs on Elgin Street. There are also good concert venues and lots of pubs in the Byward Market. But there are lots of daytime activities where younger singles to meet up as well. Join an ultimate league, or some other hobby, you'll meet people.

There are many more single women in Ottawa than single men, due to the government presence in the city. This goes from administrative assistants, to women working in IT jobs for the gov't, and other types of jobs. The federal government is very proactive about hiring and promoting women, and has great job security, flexible parental leave, and health benefits, so it's hugely popular as an employer for women. The downtown area around Elgin Street actually has a very high proportion of single women living in the area.

Oh, you'll meet singles. My advice: get a condo downtown -- rent or buy -- but don't buy a place in the suburbs as soon as you get here. It's tempting because of the low property prices compared to many other cities -- but you'll meet more singles if you live downtown.

Old 06-18-2016, 11:38 AM

I like the sound of those odds But besides pubs and parks and concerts and stuff like that, which I do enjoy all the time anyway, is there an online dating website that's popular there? It's just kind of hard for me to believe there are less than 20 single women in the Ottawa region on match.com.

Old 06-18-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by visitingthisplanet View Post
I like the sound of those odds But besides pubs and parks and concerts and stuff like that, which I do enjoy all the time anyway, is there an online dating website that's popular there? It's just kind of hard for me to believe there are less than 20 single women in the Ottawa region on match.com.
I'm in my early 40s and don't do the web dating sites anymore... I'm not the greatest person to ask about them. When I did try them, there were never tons of people on them, and I found that an awfully high proportion of them just gave nonsense info on their profiles. It wasn't the thing for me. I have no idea why younger singles aren't into them. Plenty of Fish I think has far more members.

Also, I should mention that here, everyone is eager to get off the dating sites and meet in person very quickly (which I preferred anyway). Exchange some quick greetings, agree to meet up, then go get a coffee somewhere. I see a lot of people in the Relationships forum saying that they get into long online situations where they exchange a ton of messages before meeting, or chat on the phone a lot before meeting... I have no idea what that's about.

Old 06-18-2016, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottawa2011 View Post
Also, I should mention that here, everyone is eager to get off the dating sites and meet in person very quickly (which I preferred anyway). Exchange some quick greetings, agree to meet up, then go get a coffee somewhere. I see a lot of people in the Relationships forum saying that they get into long online situations where they exchange a ton of messages before meeting, or chat on the phone a lot before meeting... I have no idea what that's about.
Well that sounds good to me too! Everyone I know who's online has a hate/hate relationship with it. I think we all just agree it's one more possible way to come across someone compatible, since it's really a numbers game if you want to think of it that way. The more you meet, the closer you probably are to finding that special person.

If Ottawa is more of a "meet while out & about" kind of place, that'll be great.

Old 07-19-2016, 08:57 PM

2,411 posts, read 1,978,336 times
Compared to Houston I am pretty you will find that Ottawa feels like a very small town. And believe me when I say there will be probably be quite a bit of culture shock too. There was for me when I did your move in reverse years ago (probably at about your age).

I presume that you are moving to Ottawa to work and I am sure you will meet a lot of people through that activity - and that will lead to further introductions, etc. Relax .. the move will probably be stress enough without diving into worrying about dating even before you arrive.

If you are moving to Ottawa before the snow flies, the downtown core will probably be teaming with people in the evenings - at least in the market/Elgin areas. If you hang out there eventually you will meet people. More difficult I think if you move there during the coldest winter months. In that case, you may have to join a gym or take a class or maybe get theatre tickets to see as many people - although yes, if that is your thing, I am sure you can still hang at the bars. If you live anywhere outside the downtown area, you will find it more isolating most likely in winter, especially when there are snow storms. Find a hobby to entertain you at home or, as I said, get to Ottawa before Christmas.

On the other hand, I am old so my first question when I read your post was .. do people still even 'date' in the classical sense?

Old 07-20-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aery11 View Post

On the other hand, I am old so my first question when I read your post was .. do people still even 'date' in the classical sense?
Depends upon the age range of the OP. Group social activities are more of the way to go in Ottawa, I think. Get out and meet people that way. Be a joiner. Find groups for your hobbies. And don't be shy to invite people around to your home for a meal or a movie or something. Day or weekend trips out of the city are popular too... invite friends along camping, skiing, whatever. You'll meet lots of people through outdoor activity groups, even in winter. Cross country skiing, winter hiking, downhill ski trips to Quebec... Mont Tremblant, Mont Cascade, Edelweiss, and Calabogie, Camp Fortune, etc...

Old 07-23-2016, 07:07 AM

2,411 posts, read 1,978,336 times
Mid-winter ... go skating on the canal. You are bound to meet others doing that activity. Perhaps you have never skated if you were born and bred in Texas but once you move to Ottawa would be the time to learn ... and I am sure you will meet someone willing to help you up if you fall and look really cute and helpless doing so. And, if you are really lucky, the canal may be operational before New Year's Eve - nothing more romantic than taking someone down there to welcome in the New Year .. and it is a pretty inexpensive date too.

Old 07-26-2016, 12:37 PM

28 posts, read 44,556 times
Play Pokémon Go downtown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau