Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 07:32 PM

4 posts, read 4,976 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I've been a long time reader of City-Data. This is my first Post, so I am hoping to get some feedback please!

Before I make the move, I've been thinking about moving to Aylmer Quebec from Ottawa South. This is mostly for work proximity purposes. I am bilingual (from Montreal originally). I've been in the "South" for a number of years-that's Ottawa South-that is, and I like it. However, I've heard good things about Aylmer too. How does it compare to Ottawa South (Findlay Creek/Riverside South)? WOuld there be a huge change in standard of living? Would it be really closer to Downtown Ottawa for commute by bus? Are the people friendly ?? Can someone tell me how the 2 areas compare? I would like to make the move, but don't want to make a mistake: Please help ! Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2017, 08:47 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,077,296 times
Well, as for bus commuting to downtown Ottawa choosing Parliament Hill as a destination, STO's Plani-Bus predicts about 45 minutes from the middle of Aylmer, whereas OC Transpo's route planner says that various points in Riverside South and Findlay Creek take over an hour for the same destination. (Leaving at 8 am. So it appears to be about 15 minutes faster from Aylmer.

The new Confederation Line going into service in 2018 won't do much for the far south end of Ottawa, so don't expect much of a change there.

There are lots of complaints about traffic and transit service in Aylmer right now, and it's become an election in Gatineau for the November vote.

Overall though given there is likely lots of traffic congestion that holds up buses in south Ottawa too, your commute is still likely to be 15 minutes shorter on average in Aylmer. Everyday experiences may vary of course one day to the next.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:06 AM

Lifestyle is probably not that different. Both are very suburban areas, decently affluent.

Aylmer of course is way more French-speaking but with a decent anglophone presence too. This won't be an issue for you as you've said you're bilingual.

There are the usual Quebec vs. Ontario differences of course, like laws and attitudes with respect to stuff like booze, etc. But it's not a big deal and being from Montreal originally you'll be used to that.

If you like outdoorsy stuff it's IMO a much better place since the recreational opportunities are much better and closer.

It's also in my experience easier to the central core of the region (Byward Market, downtown Ottawa, Vieux-Hull) on evenings and weekends from the Quebec side than it is from southern or southwestern parts of Ottawa.

Income taxes in Quebec are higher but the price of properties or rent will be lower. It probably balances out. Prices of goods are about the same.

Aylmer also has a reasonably nice historic town centre - something that doesn't really exist in the Riverside South - Findlay Creek area.

You didn't mention kids. If you have them I can chime in on that too.

Old 10-29-2017, 01:27 PM

Thanks Acajack for your response. It is very helpful. I've read your other posts about Gatineau and I find your information very valuable.

I have one child...3 years old. Starting school next year here on the Ontario side. Is it worth it to move at this point knowing that I may no longer benefit from the subsidized daycare for too much longer. I will still need before and after school care.

Otherwise, I do see other benefits of living on the Quebec side. Being born and raised in Montreal, I see value +++ in growing up in a bilingual environment where you hear and speak French on a daily basis + at home. What are your thoughts about the level of fluency of kids going to French school in Ontario vs Quebec.
I was looking at Eastern Aylmer, so I don't know if that may help with commute times.

Homes here in Riverside South- Findlay Creek have been selling pretty fast. A sellers Market, is it the same type of housing market in Aylmer.

Thanks! Merci bien!

Old 10-29-2017, 01:30 PM

Also, can we compare Aylmer to any of Montreal's suburbs? Brossard ? Lachine? DDO? Laval? Are they similar? I need to compare to what I am familiar with (besides RIverside South-Findlay Creek).

Old 10-29-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendee3000 View Post

Otherwise, I do see other benefits of living on the Quebec side. Being born and raised in Montreal, I see value +++ in growing up in a bilingual environment where you hear and speak French on a daily basis + at home. What are your thoughts about the level of fluency of kids going to French school in Ontario vs Quebec.
I was looking at Eastern Aylmer, so I don't know if that may help with commute times.

Fluency in which language? French or English?

Old 10-29-2017, 02:31 PM

Quote:

I have one child...3 years old. Starting school next year here on the Ontario side. Is it worth it to move at this point knowing that I may no longer benefit from the subsidized daycare for too much longer. I will still need before and after school care.

Before and after school daycare is still under the subsidized program in Quebec. They are guaranteed a spot in the school they go to. When my kids were in elementary it was still 7 dollars a day but this has changed and is now geared to income. I'd say it's still quite a bit cheaper than in Ontario. Note that school starts at 5 here. The cut off date for being 5 years old is Oct. 1 I think.

Old 10-29-2017, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Also, can we compare Aylmer to any of Montreal's suburbs? Brossard ? Lachine? DDO? Laval? Are they similar? I need to compare to what I am familiar with (besides RIverside South-Findlay Creek).
Hard to say. In terms of demographics maybe St-Lambert? Although it's not as posh as St-Lambert. (Still upper middle class affluent for the most part though.

Parts of it are like Pierrefonds (and also like Findlay Creek and Riverside South). Other parts are more like Senneville and Baie-d'Urfé.

The older central part of Aylmer is more like St-Lambert. But that's more to the west.

The eastern part of Aylmer tends to be newer with some exceptions. Part of it is just an extension of the mega suburban district of Le Plateau which is partly in the old city of Hull and partly in the old city of Aylmer.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:45 PM

565 posts, read 673,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Before and after school daycare is still under the subsidized program in Quebec. They are guaranteed a spot in the school they go to. When my kids were in elementary it was still 7 dollars a day but this has changed and is now geared to income. I'd say it's still quite a bit cheaper than in Ontario. Note that school starts at 5 here. The cut off date for being 5 years old is Oct. 1 I think.
Before and after school daycare is not geared to income : it is ~$9 per day (it varies from school to school, but not by much) for everyone, and includes the lunch period as well. Open from 7am to 6pm.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by begratto View Post
Before and after school daycare is not geared to income : it is $9 per day for everyone, and includes the lunch period as well. Open from 7am to 6pm.
Thanks for pointing that out. I think my kids left elementary daycare exactly when they implemented the change from 7 dollars to 9 dollars. I never paid more than 7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Ottawa-Gatineau