Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2016, 07:40 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,235,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
I kind of felt that too. Honestly, it reminded me of the olden days when Native Americans had totems or medicine animals. Not that I pretend to be a medicine man or anything. It was just a powerful moment.

All of us can learn from various animals' medicines. And some adopt us for a more intimate relationship - some life-long, some for only certain periods of our lives. I started with only one as a child - the blue heron. But now there are many I consider brothers/sisters/cousins. Every hour I spend with them increases the bond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 07:56 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,563,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
All of us can learn from various animals' medicines. And some adopt us for a more intimate relationship - some life-long, some for only certain periods of our lives. I started with only one as a child - the blue heron. But now there are many I consider brothers/sisters/cousins. Every hour I spend with them increases the bond.
I am the same way.

I have for years had an imaginary "camp circle" with various animals representing various characteristics. I would even have conversations in my mind discussing matters that were troubling to me. For example, I had a dragonfly which I called the Elder Brother, the Jaguar was the Warrior, etc.

Then for example if I was troubled I would go find a quiet place outside and meditate. It was not just fun, but healing. And always surprising how the characters would say things I needed to hear.

BTW, blue heron is one of my favorites. But in my case, I killed a blue heron as a young teen and out of horrible guilt decided to honor the spirit of the blue heron for the rest of my life.

I love the way simply sitting outside in the natural world can produce such peaceful harmony. In this day and age, it is invaluable.

I got to know the animals around my house too! I used to laugh at a juvenile owl who was left behind by its mother. He would do his Momma cry and I would say out loud, "She is gone, little brother." Then he would screech back at me, "I know, dammit! I was just seeing who was around!"

Old 07-21-2016, 08:49 PM

Quote:
I am the same way.

I have for years had an imaginary "camp circle" with various animals representing various characteristics. I would even have conversations in my mind discussing matters that were troubling to me. For example, I had a dragonfly which I called the Elder Brother, the Jaguar was the Warrior, etc.

Then for example if I was troubled I would go find a quiet place outside and meditate. It was not just fun, but healing. And always surprising how the characters would say things I needed to hear.

BTW, blue heron is one of my favorites. But in my case, I killed a blue heron as a young teen and out of horrible guilt decided to honor the spirit of the blue heron for the rest of my life.

I love the way simply sitting outside in the natural world can produce such peaceful harmony. In this day and age, it is invaluable.

I got to know the animals around my house too! I used to laugh at a juvenile owl who was left behind by its mother. He would do his Momma cry and I would say out loud, "She is gone, little brother." Then he would screech back at me, "I know, dammit! I was just seeing who was around!"

Some of the animals whom I now consider brethren are also those I once killed. And to my shame, most I did not eat.

I have done, and continue to do, my best to atone. After very many years (I haven't fired a gun at an animal in 48 years) I feel forgiven - which is a wonderful gift.

ETA: And like you, I talk aloud to animals. Fortunately, most of the year, I have no neighbours close by.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:54 PM

88,693 posts, read 85,050,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Some of the animals whom I now consider brethren are also those I once killed. And to my shame, most I did not eat.

I have done, and continue to do, my best to atone. After very many years (I haven't fired a gun at an animal in 48 years) I feel forgiven - which is a wonderful gift.

ETA: And like you, I talk aloud to animals. Fortunately, most of the year, I have no neighbours close by.
Oh good. There are others.

Aside from my own cats, I talk mostly to birds. And listen to them. Have since childhood.

I am not kidding. I feel that I get messages from them. Not audible, but signs.

Old 07-22-2016, 04:53 AM

23,220 posts, read 10,508,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Oh good. There are others.

Aside from my own cats, I talk mostly to birds. And listen to them. Have since childhood.

I am not kidding. I feel that I get messages from them. Not audible, but signs.

My daughter is always talking about redbirds as signs. She kept seeing a redbird after her friend died. Birds are cool, just like all of nature, they teach us lessons by their habits and that's as good a sign as any.

Y'all gonna get me counting birds again.

Old 07-22-2016, 12:33 PM

Well, all this bird and critter talk got me thinking of posting a few pics again. As always, sorry for repeats.

The fly (bee?) in the pic below was drowning in a swamp. I fished him out. He owes me.

I may have taken this next shot of a damsel fly in the same area.

Probably posted this next one before. But as they say in Scotland, "woot th' hail." I like the dragonfly's shadow and the pearlescent quality of the lily pad it's resting on.

Swallowtail butterflies are the most common large butterfly seen around here. They really brighten up the joint.

Red Breasted Grosbeaks are an infrequent visitor. I was happy to get a shot of one, even if it was through a window.

A female purple finch. I think they're pretty, in a drab kind of a way. I'm happy to say I've had two couples in the area since February and spotted one of their fledglings yesterday. I'm hoping they'll decide to become year-rounders.

This wee guy is a red-breasted nuthatch. He and his white-breasted cousin are year-rounders, though scarce during nesting season.

I'll wrap with a shot of a very young, apparently very tired, and very cute red squirrel. I'm entertained daily by the antics of reds. They're clever, funny and determined little rascals.

Old 07-22-2016, 03:31 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,563,186 times
Extra Cool Pics!

I saved a scorpion once and took him outside and let him go free. I told him to tell his brothers to not sting me. I betrayed that peace treaty and got stung about a month ago.

On a personal note, I am going to apply at two graduate school programs here in Oklahoma. One is Psychology/Counseling and other in Library and Information Science. I took early retirement to be a caregiver. But I am going nuts as a stay-at-home drunk. Can you believe I am going to take the GRE in a few weeks? My brain is mush!!!! Just looking at the study book makes me cringe. I wish I could have you folks helping me answer the test questions. Anyone here good at quantitative reasoning? <sound of crickets> Not I said the redbird.

I have enjoyed reading ya'lls posts!!!

Old 07-22-2016, 04:31 PM

5,856 posts, read 5,300,893 times
As usual, wonderful shots, Trout. We are plagued with red squirrels around here. I think they are cute but man, they are feeder hogs. We will fill up the feeder and they pretty much drain it in about 2 days-sending all the seeds they don't like on the ground. We don't mind feeding them but they should save something for the others.

Cat

Old 07-22-2016, 04:34 PM

5,856 posts, read 5,300,893 times
Quote:
Extra Cool Pics!

I saved a scorpion once and took him outside and let him go free. I told him to tell his brothers to not sting me. I betrayed that peace treaty and got stung about a month ago.

On a personal note, I am going to apply at two graduate school programs here in Oklahoma. One is Psychology/Counseling and other in Library and Information Science. I took early retirement to be a caregiver. But I am going nuts as a stay-at-home drunk. Can you believe I am going to take the GRE in a few weeks? My brain is mush!!!! Just looking at the study book makes me cringe. I wish I could have you folks helping me answer the test questions. Anyone here good at quantitative reasoning? <sound of crickets> Not I said the redbird.

I have enjoyed reading ya'lls posts!!!

I remember taking the GREs. Can't remember what I scored.

Where in Oklahoma? I used to live there WAY back in the dark ages. One of my sisters live in Tulsa along with my niece, cousin & his family.

Cat

Old 07-22-2016, 05:34 PM

17,164 posts, read 11,417,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
As usual, wonderful shots, Trout.

Quote:
We are plagued with red squirrels around here. I think they are cute but man, they are feeder hogs. We will fill up the feeder and they pretty much drain it in about 2 days-sending all the seeds they don't like on the ground. We don't mind feeding them but they should save something for the others.

Cat
My 86 year old mom spent a good chunk of her days chasing squirrels away from her bird feeder with her broom. Said it was her exercise. She just started using "hot birdfood". They lace it with some sort of hot spice, which the birds don't mind but the squirrels hate. Guess it's pretty expensive. Now, she did this to keep the squirrels from eating all the bird food, because it was "getting expensive". And, on top of that, she's planning on buying separate food for the squirrels, too, now. Mom. Gotta love her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism