Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2017, 02:48 PM

1,248 posts, read 823,975 times

Advertisements

Did it ever seem to you that certain buildings or other inanimate objects have a soul or a presence of their own?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2017, 04:30 PM

8,172 posts, read 6,924,107 times
I think sometimes intense human emotion can sometimes have some sort of lingering energy. I once visited an old jail and in one of the rooms, as soon as I stepped across the threshold, I felt like I got hit with a ton of sad bricks. Just overwhelming despair. I walked further into the room and turned around looked at the person I was with, and it was obvious they felt the exact same thing. Neither one of us was "looking" for any such thing, we weren't ghost hunting or anything of the sort. It was just something that happened. Never experienced anything like that before or since. I wasn't afraid or felt like it was anything that was "current" so to speak. Just something sad from the past, basically that was somehow kind of left lingering in that space.

Old 09-30-2017, 06:19 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
The concept of "soul" differs among users. I tend to attribute it to animate beings which have a sense of self. I am certain most would define it differently.

But I believe all living things have spirit. (Another concept whose definition differs with the user.) And the closest I can come to my definition of spirit is: that which makes sub-atomic particles dance.

Which includes most everything that appears to have substance to us. And some that does not.

And I believe, as sparrow suggested, that some seemingly-inert substances such as mortar, brick, stone and wood can absorb more than moisture and that what they absorb may become perceptible to some.

I have felt a kinship with inanimate objects in my life, many in fact. Fishing rods and reels, an old willow creel, a couple of baseball gloves, my first bike, a 1965 6 HP Mercury outboard and a 14' Starcraft aluminum, deep-fisherman.

But I wouldn't attribute a soul to them. But I would spirit. Their collection of molecules blended well with mine for long periods of time. And I trust they're still blended somewhere, somehow, in some way with something/one else.

Interesting thread.

Old 09-30-2017, 07:46 PM

88,571 posts, read 84,777,093 times
^Yes, it is.

Haitian voodoo attributes spirit to inanimate and manmade objects.

A Haitian doctor in New York City was interviewed some years ago, and in his home was an old dentist's chair he had bought somewhere. He said it had a good spirit.

Old 09-30-2017, 10:50 PM

24,114 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
Did it ever seem to you that certain buildings or other inanimate objects have a soul or a presence of their own?

I think they do. Particularly some houses. Also, people can animate certain objects unintentionally.

Old 10-01-2017, 03:02 AM

1,248 posts, read 823,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I think they do. Particularly some houses. Also, people can animate certain objects unintentionally.
How does that happen?

Old 10-01-2017, 09:00 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:
How does that happen?
I think she's likely referring to telekinesis and/or poltergeist phenomena.

Old 10-01-2017, 03:56 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
Quote:
I don't believe the inanimate object has a soul...but I do believe that there could be a presence from a previous owner, or perhaps the builder.... still around that inanimate object
I believe the rocking chair that someone spoke of, that was said to have a good spirit,was actually the receptacle for a spirit.

Old 10-01-2017, 04:31 PM

24,114 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:

It depends upon what you define as a soul.

What I mean is animation. Giving an object life. Usually with negative results.

It can happen rather innocently - or through a spell or incantation.

Sometimes it begins by giving an object a name. Talking to it. Treating it with a greater amount of attention than one would a usual object.

Naming it is often the beginning. But not the end.

I am not sure if a "soul" is the right word. "Spirit" may be more appropriate, but I understand what you mean. Giving life to something that should not normally have life.

I have seen it often in automobiles, homes, and dolls. Machines may also be susceptible.

As far as poltergeist, they are a type of thought form that becomes a being. Again created by humans. Especially people who are pubescent, adolescent, or suffering from deep grief, anxiety, anger or mental illness.

Old 10-01-2017, 04:56 PM

2,459 posts, read 2,477,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
I think sometimes intense human emotion can sometimes have some sort of lingering energy. I once visited an old jail and in one of the rooms, as soon as I stepped across the threshold, I felt like I got hit with a ton of sad bricks. Just overwhelming despair. I walked further into the room and turned around looked at the person I was with, and it was obvious they felt the exact same thing. Neither one of us was "looking" for any such thing, we weren't ghost hunting or anything of the sort. It was just something that happened. Never experienced anything like that before or since. I wasn't afraid or felt like it was anything that was "current" so to speak. Just something sad from the past, basically that was somehow kind of left lingering in that space.
I've had similar experiences. It seems like some people are more attuned to this phenomena that others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism