Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 01:17 PM

592 posts, read 2,810,580 times

Advertisements

I just need to vent a little to parents. My lovely wife and I went to our favorite Mexican place for my birthday Friday and listened to 40 minutes of chatter, whining, screaming, and kicking from 3 children. Two women were with them, drinking beer while their little monsters carried on and on. (The beer drinking is another thing that got me steaming...) The ladies, and I use that term very sparingly in this case, just carried on as if nothing was happening. Please all, if you think its okay to let little ones behave terribly in public (or know someone that does), think of the others around you that really have no desire to listen, watch, and be annoyed by your little wonders. Whew, I feel better.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:22 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,413,637 times
I agree. But id also like to point out that in the politically correct climate we live in alot of parents dont spank their children in public places because of the trouble they will get in when somebody reports them for it. And the kids know this. Even I, who beleives in spanking (it never hurt me) am vary wary of doing it in public because of nosey busybodies.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:25 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,818,161 times
Not that I agree with letting your kids run a muck in a restaurant...but next time you come upon this situation perhaps a few more beers for you and the misses would make it easier to tolerate? I know beer always helps me tolerate my in-laws...so it could work!

Old 06-18-2007, 02:07 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,435,845 times
I witnessed a story, which will surely get your blood boiling as well.
Working at a supermarket one obsers A LOT...Let me tell you.
This one lady had her young child (3 or 4 at the time) in the shopping card itself, and NOT in the front fastened with seat belts.
The little girl carried on here tantrums, rocking the shopping card, jumping up and down....screaming, crying, kicking.
One of our employess went over, concerned, that the little girl was getting hurt, because the mother was looking at the meatcounter, turning a deaf ear and ignoring her little girl.
Well, long story short....the lady yelled at my co-worker to mind his own business, the shopping card tipped over, landing on the little girl, had to be rushed to the hospital with a broken arm, and had to get stitches in the forehead!!!!
It comes better, however, because that lady turned around and not only put in a complained against my co-worker, but also tried to sue the company!!!!
Justice was served, because we have AWESOME VIDEO CAMERAS!!!!

Last edited by MB2; 06-18-2007 at 03:10 PM..

Old 06-18-2007, 02:30 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,807,420 times
We have two boys that are 17mths apart. They are 7 & 8 now. They always behave themselves in public.
One day we were in NYC at a big family resturant. We sat down and after us in comes an older couple with their college age daughter. My sons were 2 & 3 at the time. Now ; remember it was a huge airy loud family place.

At the end, the daughter comes up to us and says ; thank you for making our meal terrible.

Our boys werent bad ; honestly, they really werent. They have and will continue to eat out a lot and we do make sure its an ok place ; not a small cosy french place.
My opinion was ; we were sitting there first, it was a place that was full of children so of course it was going to be loud etc. They even have face painters, balloons etc for the small children.

this was the only time anyone ever said anything remotely like that.

Last year I brought the boys to a Dennys in PA. They were shocked at the behaviour of two women and their five children. They were loud, obnixous, running around etc. My sons couldnt believe that the mothers said nothing to the children to quiten them down.

dorothy

Old 06-18-2007, 03:20 PM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,435,845 times
The other place I observe "out of control" children, ruining it for everyone else, is at the movies.
I witnessed so many times now, that we are going to movies, around 7, 8 or 9 pm, and little kids are screaming and/ or running around, even though those movies are rated for adults.
If I wanted to be exposed to that, I would go to an afternoon cartoon.....*sigh*
Parents are just in denial sometimes, concerning their kids.
The thing is, we might think our kids don't behave bad, but it might be absolutely annoying and is unexceptable to others. (I am a mom myself)
I guess, a good judgement and common curtesy comes to mind.....Or just staying home....LOL

Old 06-18-2007, 06:21 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,213,695 times
Here is my two cents as a mother of 10, 11, and 2 year old boys. How will children ever learn to behave if they are never allowed in public. For the first poster I am sorry that you had a bad experience and the parents should have taken control of their children but children will never learn manners if they are kept home so they don't disturb others. My family doesn't go out often (too expensive) but when we do my kids sit quietly and enjoy their meal. It is just as much a treat for them as it is for us. We always take our little one outside to walk around if the wait gets too long so he doesn't disturb others.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:01 AM

743 posts, read 2,234,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingBack2PA View Post
Parents are just in denial sometimes, concerning their kids. The thing is, we might think our kids don't behave bad, but it might be absolutely annoying and is unexceptable to others. (I am a mom myself)
I guess, a good judgement and common curtesy comes to mind.....Or just staying home....LOL
Moving Back to Pa.....I've got to say, I just read your post on the adhd threa about your adhd child a few minutes ago....you know the one where you empathized w/ Skoe regarding her child having public temper tanturms....you know, the one about you describing your son hitting his head against the wall....you know, the one where you said you've been there (referring to kids with adhd and all of it's behavioral problems that it presents) and told Skoe to hang in there.

I can't believe you're on this post "throwing stones" when you have described on another post that you have lived in a glass house.

Old 06-19-2007, 03:18 AM

20,346 posts, read 19,937,992 times
My wife and I took our son out with us from the time he was a baby. More than once, one of us would end up leaving the table and wheeling him around in his stroller outside out of courtesy to others. By the time he was four, we could take him anywhere and he knew it was behave or else. No debate, no negotiations.

We actually had people come up to us and tell us how well behaved he was. And trust me, he was, and is, all boy.

He just knew the score when we're out in public.

Old 06-19-2007, 05:26 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,323,996 times
The real problem is 'behave' is a relative term for a lot of people. Some people think it is ok and their kids are 'cute' when they are running laps around a restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting