Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 09:42 AM

414 posts, read 1,010,064 times

Advertisements

WOW. There is NO WAY you should have had to apologize for that.

The behavior children exhibit in our society today is so appauling. Parents now believe that their child(ren) do nothing wrong or if they do something wrong it was done as an emotional outlet and the child is not to blame. "It's how they express emotion". Bull. Parents today coddle their children and the child runs the house and the relationship with the parents.

Parents allow their children to get away with anything and everything in our world today. EXAMPLE: (and the thread on tantrums got me thinking about this) I coached high school volleyball last year and we had a girl who had a p*** poor attitude on the court, was yelling at other players and playing terribly. Basically an adult/teenage tantrum. We pulled her off the court immediately and did not play her in the 5th game of that match. She even started mouthing off to the head coach (which I heard) and promptly told her to basically get comfortable on the bench b/c she wasn't going to see the floor again that night.
^^Prime example of a child who was able to get away with everything. It seems (and I live in a small town so I know the parents of these athletes) that the girls with the major attitude problems and think they are the "super stars" and "deserve" to be on the court even while playing poorly with a horrible attitude, are the ones who got away with everything. The girls with positive attitudes and excellent work ethics had parents who didn't put up with their crap as children.

Sorry for the little tanget there but just like with the child the OP talked about...it happens everywhere in our country and behavior that was not tolderated 20 years ago when I was a kid, is widely accepted today. Not good in my opinion...

Last edited by mrspink; 06-12-2010 at 09:50 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2010, 10:02 AM

3,360 posts, read 12,270,334 times
I would cut all ties with these people even though they are family. Maybe keep in phone contact with your brother.

They have made a conscious decision to let a pint sized bully be in charge of their household. I don't know about you but I couldn't stand to be around that. They are in for a world of trouble down the line. Just wait till one of the parents does something the little monster doesn't like and gets smacked in the kisser by him. Unfortunately they will have already established a pattern they can now do nothing to correct.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:37 AM

1,429 posts, read 4,283,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaggy View Post
I think you made a typo - this should NOT be tolerated is what I hope you meant to say....special needs is no excuse to spare the discipline.

He is special needs being the need for structure, discipline and rules. BS. He is a normal kid whose parents f'd him up.

As George Carlin said if you're a kid in need of a role model and your parents ain't it, you're all screwed.

yes... it should read with "not" in there. I tried to edit but the edit button is gone.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:53 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinmomma View Post
yes... it should read with "not" in there. I tried to edit but the edit button is gone.
It's okay! I knew what you meant!

Old 06-12-2010, 12:06 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,694,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
I would cut all ties with these people even though they are family. Maybe keep in phone contact with your brother.
That's extreme.

Keep the family and get rid of the kid. (Just kidding)

I wouldn't apologize for correcting the behavior of a child who clearly has no sense of restraint.

Old 06-12-2010, 02:46 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwaggy View Post
I was teaching my nephew Charly a few things on piano - chopstix, heart-and-soul, and he was very interested, engaged and was 'getting it' - we were having fun. The he started reaching in on my hand and pushed it into the keys and I said 'we were playing a song..lets just finish it and we can..." SMACK he rears back and PUNCHES me HARD in the face! On instinct, I said "CHARLY!!! then held his face in my hand so he would not turn away, and making eye contact I said firmly "CHARLY don't you EVER EVER hit ME or ANYONE in the FACE like that again...that is WRONG!" and he wriggled away (I was not holding on too firmly) and he went CRYING HYSTERICALLY to his mother, my sister in law. "Uncle C yelled and me and held my face...wahhhh wahhh waaaahhhhh!" A minute or two later, SIL comes in with CHARLY demanding that I apologize to him, and my brother then follows into the room and is exclaiming to me "Great Uncle Cwaggy, now Charly is going to have a BAD DAY and it's YOUR FAULT!!!"

We'll I refused to apologize and told my SIL and bro that if I had EVER punched my uncle Steve in the face, mom would have spanked my butt raw and sent me to my room until my father came home who would then mete out his own brand of discipline.

Am I crazy? I think the parents here are sending Charly the wrong message. I was raised differently. The parents do not discipline this kid in any way so I think I shocked his little ego by telling he did a bad thing and not to ever do it again. My SIL needs to get her head on straight and my bro needs a clue.

Go ahead, tell me I'm wrong about this.
I'd hung him out to dry....along with his mom...

Old 06-12-2010, 03:04 PM

4,040 posts, read 7,443,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highway29south View Post
They center their lives around their kids...
Many people say this - yet 100 times as many will literally jump at your throat if you elaborate on this statement and explain specifically how this happens. They will tell you that they LOVE things as they are and they LOVE participating in all sorts of "kids activities", volunteering at their school, and pretty much basing their entire adult existence on something related to the children, in one way or another. I have noticed way too many parents today who have "zero life" and zero interests separate from the children.

Yet others, even more ambitious, engage in hyper competitive parenting, making their kids the projects of their lifetime - determined to turn them into Wall Street CEO-s with a variety of fancy hobbies or whatever they think will spit out a lot of money and prestige in the future.

This is a terrible trend, as far as I am concerned, one that might serve the needs of tomorrow's economy (as well as today's) but not one that allows humans - both children and parents - to live a life worth living.

Old 06-12-2010, 03:18 PM

1,187 posts, read 2,394,747 times
Any time I question their actions, I am told I don't understand THEIR children. So I just keep my trap shut and watch their lives and their kids lives descend into irreparable damage.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:10 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,756,808 times
I'm sorry... I'm actually snickering here. This sounds like the script from a bad sitcom. It goes without saying that Charly was wrong and his parents are not equiped with the skills to raise a child into a productive adult. They are going to be run-over, bullied, and threatened by their own kid his whole life... and then they'll end up on some day-time talk show complaining about how out-of-control their teenager is. Let's all pray that they stop with just one child and don't have more . These are the type of parents that use "not my child" constantly when he's done something wrong because they don't want to face the reality that he's a trouble-maker. Wonder what school is like for him and the teachers? I would hate for my child to be friends with a child like this because you know that everything would be blamed on my kid... does little Charly have any friends that you know of? At any rate... you've got the best idea - keep your distance from this family, sit back and watch the fall-out that is going to happen as Charly ages, and pat yourself on the back because you didn't cave-in and appologize.

Old 06-13-2010, 11:19 AM

541 posts, read 1,340,882 times
yes,you acted very wrong....i would have thrown all 3 out of my house after such a behaviour and especially such a reaction form parents!!!

they are familly..so what???they get,what they deserve...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting