Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 09:10 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone...just a quick note to remind everyone that we need to remain respectful of one another while we are posting. The Parenting Forum can contain very passionate topics and there will be many differing opinions but we need to be mindful of respecting each others beliefs, approaches and advice.

Thank you all in advance for thinking about others before posting.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:03 AM

2,605 posts, read 4,693,382 times
I think in addition, you should mention the catty, snide, passive agressive tact some take.

Old 06-20-2010, 08:45 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,683 times
Thank-you for posting this. Lets remember to be respectful of everyone and not just reply to posts in order to be argumentative and to belittle the posters that have true concerns. There is such a thing as CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. Please remember not to be catty or gang up on a poster just for your own amusement. Lately that's all that's been going on here. This is supposed to be a parenting forum and not a highschool clique. Let people have their own opinions and if you disagree do so respectfully and without judgment.

Last edited by KylieEve; 06-20-2010 at 08:51 AM.. Reason: .

Old 06-20-2010, 02:05 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,063,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan
Let people have their own opinions and if you disagree do so respectfully and without judgment.
mrstewart,
Just looking for clarification here....
If we call a poster a 'skank' would that be outside the rules of respectful posting without passing judgment?
How about the following sorts of posts...
Quote:
I think you're a stuck up snob.
Quote:
I wish your parents had taught you how not to be so annoying.
Quote:
You are one JUDGMENTAL ***** fill in the blanks.
Quote:
YOU are obnoxious.
Quote:
I can tell you didn't graduate highschool by the way.
Quote:
Maybe your child got knocked up at 16 or maybe you did.
Quote:
You have the mentality of your 12 year old.
Quote:
And don't think I'm going to dignify your level of stupidity with any more responses from now on I'm ignoring all your stupid replies.
Quote:
you miserable person.

I would think that the above sorts of posts are beyond any definition of respectable posting but they are allowed to remain unedited (I know some of them have been reported)...with no apparent infraction given to the poster. I've received an infraction for much less offensive posts so now I have no idea where the lines are (not to say I didn't deserve it). If I had posted any of the above I'd have expected to get another infraction, if not a ban.

Are we to assume the sort of posting featured above is acceptable?

Old 06-20-2010, 04:04 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Count me in for looking for some clarification too. I've been called worse names here than I have over on the Cats forum when I admitted that I used to let my cats go outside.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:49 PM

I have reported the above post from ncyank to the moderator. The user has gone on to reopen a thread on rude mothers that was closed by the moderators and is using it to attack me ONCE again.

THIS is an example of the kind of behaviour that should be reported.
A StICKY clarifying the rules of the forum should not be used to relaunch a personal vendetta against me.

Old 06-20-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
mrstewart,
Just looking for clarification here....
If we call a poster a 'skank' would that be outside the rules of respectful posting without passing judgment?
How about the following sorts of posts...

I would think that the above sorts of posts are beyond any definition of respectable posting but they are allowed to remain unedited (I know some of them have been reported)...with no apparent infraction given to the poster. I've received an infraction for much less offensive posts so now I have no idea where the lines are (not to say I didn't deserve it). If I had posted any of the above I'd have expected to get another infraction, if not a ban.

Are we to assume the sort of posting featured above is acceptable?

What the poster FORGETS to mention is that these were only RESPONSES to horrible things that were said about me and my child and leaves out what the posters actually said to me in order for me to respond in this manner. I will NOT stoop to the level of posting the words about me as that would be inappropriate on this sticky.

Last edited by KylieEve; 06-20-2010 at 07:08 PM.. Reason: .

Old 06-20-2010, 07:24 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,251,255 times
Well, I am glad to take part in some open dialogue on this topic and think it is positive.

First and foremost I think it is important to respect one another. We are here on our leisure time, not getting paid for it, so we should all try to enjoy it!

If there are issues that you feel are not resolved via reported post, PLEASE send me a DM to look into a particular post. Recently, several of the reported posts are not hitting my normal email but going to spam and I may have missed some.

In my opinion, any name calling, chiding, or mean spirited comments are not conducive to a productive discussion and I am hoping we can get past these things and come to a mutual understanding that we are all coming from a different place but ultimately want the same thing...healthy, happy children.

So, with that said, let's try to turn over a new leaf and let this forum be about Parenting and not the Great Debates forum!

You are all great posters and have great advice to give so let's try to keep it civil and helpful!

Old 06-20-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Well, I am glad to take part in some open dialogue on this topic and think it is positive.

First and foremost I think it is important to respect one another. We are here on our leisure time, not getting paid for it, so we should all try to enjoy it!

If there are issues that you feel are not resolved via reported post, PLEASE send me a DM to look into a particular post. Recently, several of the reported posts are not hitting my normal email but going to spam and I may have missed some.

In my opinion, any name calling, chiding, or mean spirited comments are not conducive to a productive discussion and I am hoping we can get past these things and come to a mutual understanding that we are all coming from a different place but ultimately want the same thing...healthy, happy children.

So, with that said, let's try to turn over a new leaf and let this forum be about Parenting and not the Great Debates forum!

You are all great posters and have great advice to give so let's try to keep it civil and helpful!
I agree 100% with you.

Old 06-20-2010, 07:28 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,049,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
If we're permitted to have open discussion, I will post an opinion on the matter.

I consider it baiting if someone starts threads and then insults and name-calls anyone who disagrees with the thread starter.

It's definitely baiting when it becomes a habit, thread after thread the thread starter reacts similarly negative.

A baiter shouldn't get away with making one self look like a victim.

IMO, it's healthy when members think a baiter is entertaining and comical. It would be so much worse if the members took the baiter's insults personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting