Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 03:15 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,694,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
What maciesmom and I are saying is that person and behavior are separate things.

We don't view conditions for behavior as putting conditions onto love.

We can put conditions on people's behavior and still have unconditional love for them.

So you don't really agree in the spirit in which Maciesmom posted it.

You agree with your personal interpretation of what she posted, but your interpretation isn't what Maciesmom meant.
I wasn't aware that you now speak for others. You certainly don't speak for me, so don't presume you do, because I would guarantee you'd be wrong.

I understand perfectly what Maciesmom said, and I agree with that part of her opinion. What is so difficult to understand about that? I said I agree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2010, 03:30 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,196,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
If society has changed, then it is possible for parenting to change. One way society has changed is that the mother no longer models submissiveness to her children. I think this is very important in teaching the roles of the sexes. The son grows up seeing his father be the boss over children and women and he expects to raise his family the same way. The female grows up seeing her mother submit to the father and expects to treat her husband the same way.
<g> The women in my family haven't modeled submissiveness since before the Gods invented dirt. We're matriarchal back to at least the 19th century (as far back as living memory goes). That comparison would honestly have never crossed my mind. Though I suppose it might be a valid observation somewhere.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:34 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
[quote=NoExcuses;15019048In addition, children are not being raised to be men and women. They are being raised to be all the same with no definition between the sexes except the sex organs themselves.[/quote]

That actually seems like a positive thing to me.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:41 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,196,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
Crisan, because you don't like them doesn't make them untrue. Sayings stand the test of time BECAUSE THEY ARE TRUE. Think about that. Sometimes people have a hard time seeing the truth.
How do you account for the oft-repeated phrase "saying it doesn't make it so", NE? In that context-- it being an oft-repeated phrase or saying-- you have created a paradox..

Quote:
Parenting HAS CHANGED. It went from bringing children into the parents' world to bringing the parents into the children's world. It's the population that creates change in society, so it IS people that have changed.
You fail to differentiate between society/people as a collective, and parents/people as a group of individuals. With collective nouns can come infinite diversity in infinite combinations, which therefore makes sweeping statements improbable. People, in the collective, tend to act and react differently than people in small individual units.

Quote:
The way I read that quote was that it's up to the mother to raise the children to stand for themselves when they become adults. There are numerous threads with young adults still living with parents and not being very productive, and in those threads there are numerous posts that state that parents should be very happy to have their adult offspring live at home for as long as they wish. Those people have not, or do not intend to raise their children to stand on their own.
I'd hesitate to extrapolate to collective society from posts on a message board. Particularly since at least a few of the most prolific posters in the threads you mention are the non-productive children in question. We can only guess at the rest of the household equation.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:15 PM

852 posts, read 1,365,566 times
I also see that children are staying in the family home well into their twenties, and while the old grumpy part of me wants to point out that I was on my own, working my way through college at age 19, I understand that times have changed. For example, I was able to purchase student health insurance at a reasonable group rate, and that's not the case anymore. College students must maintain a full-time status to stay on their parents' insurance, which is usually the only insurance option available to them. In addition, with cuts in federal financial aid, fewer and fewer people qualify for it, and there are more hoops to jump through (ex: the age of independence for f.a. is now 24).

That's a long-winded way of saying that kids are staying at home because it's not financially feasible for most of them to strike out on their own and earn a college degree at the same time.

That said, I also see that many of my students' parents provide them with many luxuries like iphones, higher end cars, and wardrobes from trendy stores. Most of these kids aren't driving beaters and shopping at thrift stores like we were in our college days.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:43 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,294,617 times
Quote:
"A mother is not a person to lean on, but a person to make leaning unnecessary." (Dorothy Canfield Fisher)

Why has this changed? All the mothers who think their children should stay home forever, or at least well into adulthood have forgotten that it's our responsibility to prepare our children as they are growing to become responsible.

What has changed?
A young relative of mine is raising a child. Her stated goal is to make him happy.

Has that become the goal of parents? In previous generations, parents wanted to raise their children to be self-sufficient, or successful, or responsible, or even good. Now parents want to make their children happy.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:11 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
I wasn't aware that you now speak for others.
You quoted BOTH maciesmom's post and my post. I knew what maciesmom meant because she left a rep comment for me previously in this thread.

Quote:
I understand perfectly what Maciesmom said, and I agree with that part of her opinion. What is so difficult to understand about that? I said I agree.
By our definition of unconditional love, it doesn't appear that you are agreeing, even though you say so.

The reason is because you still continue to insist that there are limits on love.

We are saying that we can hold conditions on behavior and still have no conditions for our love.

Old 07-13-2010, 06:19 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You quoted BOTH maciesmom's post and my post. I knew what maciesmom meant because she left a rep comment for me previously in this thread.

By our definition of unconditional love, it doesn't appear that you are agreeing, even though you say so.

The reason is because you still continue to insist that there are limits on love.

We are saying that we can hold conditions on behavior and still have no conditions for our love.
Yep - you beat me to it....Hopes wasn't "assuming" my meaning. She had valid reason to say what she did. I do believe that unconditional love is the love we have for our children - even if they are struggling or wrong or making poor decisions, we still love them. We may not LIKE them all the time or AGREE with their path but we love them and want the best for them. Some of the toughest and heart wrenching decisions we make are because we love them.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:00 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,694,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
A young relative of mine is raising a child. Her stated goal is to make him happy.

Has that become the goal of parents? In previous generations, parents wanted to raise their children to be self-sufficient, or successful, or responsible, or even good. Now parents want to make their children happy.
I think you just expressed what I was looking for.

I agree 100% here.

Old 07-13-2010, 09:36 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
Nothing wrong with being happy or wanting your kids to be happy. The problem lies in believing/raising them to believe that their personal happiness is of paramount importance and supercedes all else.

I believe happiness is a byproduct of how you live not the goal. Kind of like John Lennon's famous quote that "Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans"....such is happiness. It's what happens when you are busy in other ways - learning, loving, giving, working....happiness kind of sneaks up on you when you stop looking for it. As a parent, I hope I am providing my children with the tools to be happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting