Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 08:16 AM

556 posts, read 798,123 times

Advertisements

Does anyone besides me feel like they don't do enough? I mean I clean everyday, either take the kids to the playground or in the backyard everyday. Take them for other activities a few times a month (Sesame place, swimming at the inlaws, Nascar race etc) yet I still feel like we are wasting the summer away, that I don't do enough with them, and that they watch too much tv. Do others ever feel like this? Is it SAHM syndrome? lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 08:38 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,755,069 times
I was a SAHM for 12 years... and yes, I did feel the same way. In hindsight, I think it was because I was so used to being productive constantly... and playing doesn't feel productive. I would go to the beach with the kids and spend time thinking about laundry that needed done, dishes in the sink, etc... truthfully though - your kids are probably having a great summer from their point of view. You are doing plenty with your kids . They are lucky you are able to be there during their summer vacations and take them places.

Old 08-02-2010, 10:44 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,171,725 times
You may be feeling unproductive.....but actually your kids are enjoying a summer which will leave them with memories. My kids are older now, but it is amazing all the stuff they remember us doing as a family when they were young. It means a lot to them even if they aren't telling you now.

For fun, you could always spend 30 minutes a day trying to learn another language together or learning how to paint or do anything else you all think is interesting. At least you'll feel like you came out of the summer with a new knowledge.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:05 AM

22,581 posts, read 47,641,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kel6604 View Post
yet I still feel like we are wasting the summer away, that I don't do enough with them, and that they watch too much tv.

ARE they watching too much TV?

If not, then you are doing enough.

Old 08-02-2010, 09:04 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,200,354 times
No matter what you do as a SAHM there is fault to find. Mostly other people find it so don't you start in on yourself too! LOL!

Don't feel like you have to be on the go or "doing something" all the time. That's just something we've been brainwashed into thinking has to happen for us to really be living. Sometimes the best moments in life are when you are just sitting and enjoying each others company. Enjoy your down time while you can.

As far as TV goes, well I don't know. If you watch things together that can spark all kinds of conversations.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:16 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,149 times
Spending time with the kids is real important.
Sounds like you are doing well.
Try to put aside those negative feelings and think about the good times you have with the kids.

Just a thought, ask them to help. my experience is that if you are doing the chore with them then they are more likely to stick at it and you can have some good time together. Also when it comes to cleaning, if they help, then they tend to be less messy because they learn that it is hard work when cleaning.

Last edited by aidxen; 08-02-2010 at 11:17 PM.. Reason: fixed spelling of stick. was sick :)

Old 08-03-2010, 09:36 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,251,969 times
Oh, this grandma agrees strongly with GloryB, Ceece, and Aidxen. People in general get so much pressure upon them to produce visible product that they think they must in their parenting as well, then added to that are the people who put down parenting, treating parents like they are "less than."

What you are to produce are children who grow up to be productive members of society. If you are continually doing that, you are doing the best productive work, more than those who bring home all the bucks.

Society is completely and generationally dependent upon parents producing productive adults who can "step up to the plate" and lead, manage, work, and produce in the future. YOU have the biggest, greatest, and most important job of all.

It is not up to you to produce a good child; it is up to you to produce an outstanding adult.
That is a heavy load, whether you are taking them to services, tramping through the woods, teaching them to swim, taking them to soccer, getting them music lessons, playing blocks, taking them on teaching trips, teaching them how to eat properly, taking them to appreciate music by experiencing it together, running through puddles with them, teaching them to appreciate and respect others, . . .

Old 08-03-2010, 12:33 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,510,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kel6604 View Post
Do others ever feel like this? Is it SAHM syndrome? lol
Not every single day, but sometimes, definitely!

And sure, my kids watch tv too much at times. I think that is quite common. Doesn't make you a terrible parent. We have implemented a no tv day once a week though & many times when I start to see my kids acting crazy, it is b/c of watching too much tv.

Your kids don't want nor need a supermom or an entertainer. "You" keeping them occupied 24/7 is not healthy nor neccessary (of course, dependant on age). There comes times in the day when they should be & are fully capable of finding things be it playing outside, reading, doing a craft, so on by themselves.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:14 PM

556 posts, read 798,123 times
I realized something today, I wasn't not doing enough with them, I was doing TOO MUCH with them and not enough with ME! I went to the gym today and put them in the playroom. After we all felt better. They were happy to play with other kids kids and get away from me for a bit, and to be honest, I was happy to not hear "MommmmmEEEEEEEEEEEEE" every 2 seconds for a bit

Old 08-03-2010, 01:50 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,833,778 times
If it's anything my mom always says her fondest memories of when me and my sister where small where days when it would rain and she would bundle us up in blankets and we would have a movie day. She would make pop corn on the stove. It was a great time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting