Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 05:02 PM

546 posts, read 2,204,921 times

Advertisements

I have the hardest time talking about payment with my son's classmate's
mothers for babysitting their kids.
afterall, my son is in the same class with her.

here's my question, one parents asked if I could pick up her daughter on
a Friday after school when school starts, take her child
to my place, teach the first hour of chinese, then just have her child
stay with us till the mom gets off work, so
from the pick up time, it'll be 1:15pm till 5:30pm. she offered
to pay, but I can't make up my mind weather to accept
the $$ or not, If her daughter comes in every Friday,
that will take away the original time which I've planned
to have my son practice piano, home work or take him out. what's your
input about the payment for this situation?

I was thinking of $35 for picking her daughter up at 1:15pm, drive her to my place, teacher an hour of chinese and look after her till 5:30pm when the mom comes and picks her up. by the way, this girl is 6 years old and so is my son. thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 05:42 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,097,080 times
That sound more than reasonable of course Im sure there will be someone on here that will say that is too much . But to me that sounds fine .

Old 08-20-2010, 06:04 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,617,679 times
I charge $5.00/hour with a day capping off at $30.00 for drop in care and I am a professional provider. So your $35 sounds right in line especially if you are in a higher income area than where I am.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:33 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,031,991 times
$35.00-$40.00 is a fair price.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:42 PM

50,379 posts, read 64,021,617 times
I agree that this fee sounds more than reasonable...maybe a bit low considering you are tutoring also. What would the going rate for that be? You might not want to charge if it was a fun playdate for your son, but it is not.

It is only one day a week, though, so absolutely charge for it and then use the money to pamper yourself.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I agree that this fee sounds more than reasonable...maybe a bit low considering you are tutoring also. What would the going rate for that be? You might not want to charge if it was a fun playdate for your son, but it is not.

It is only one day a week, though, so absolutely charge for it and then use the money to pamper yourself.
I don't want to charge her aggressively and in fact, I set it lower, since his girl is in my son's class and yes, she would be playing with my son, my son has no siblings, so this might be good for my son as well.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:40 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,695,042 times
Tutoring is worth a LOT of money. Teaching Chinese to a 6 year old privately for an hour a week, is worth a LOT of money. Babysitting for over 4 hours on an afternoon is worth at least $30.00.

Since the mother ASKED YOU to teach the Chinese and babysit, and you did not offer, I'd set my rate at least $50.00 for each Friday afternoon.

You have to consider the fact that you were asked for services that no one else can offer (the Chinese) and as you said, it takes up the time you would work with your son or take him out.

Since she approached you, she should be willing to pay what is fair for your expertise and time.

Old 08-20-2010, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoExcuses View Post
Tutoring is worth a LOT of money. Teaching Chinese to a 6 year old privately for an hour a week, is worth a LOT of money. Babysitting for over 4 hours on an afternoon is worth at least $30.00.

Since the mother ASKED YOU to teach the Chinese and babysit, and you did not offer, I'd set my rate at least $50.00 for each Friday afternoon.

You have to consider the fact that you were asked for services that no one else can offer (the Chinese) and as you said, it takes up the time you would work with your son or take him out.

Since she approached you, she should be willing to pay what is fair for your expertise and time.
well, it started out as I was teaching the daughter for $10 an hour to just teaching chinese over the summer and you know, I did ask if she would like me to teach chinese to her daughter as she expressed interest in looking for a chinese teacher, she offered $12 for chinese teaching and I said $10 as the daughter is my son's classmate, now when I asked for her after summer new school year chinese lesson plan, she said maybe I could just pick her daughter up to my place and then she pick the child up after she finishes work, she actually has alternatives for baby sitting, but to contine on with the chinese lessons, she offered this plan to kill 2 birds with one stone..

Old 08-20-2010, 08:03 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,185,020 times
take the money! $35 sounds reasonable to me. I pay $25 just for 1/2 hour music lesson. I agree with you, that I might not feel right taking money for an occasional favor for a friend, but for a regular once/week arrangement, you should be paid.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:35 PM

2,605 posts, read 4,695,042 times
Is $35.00/wk worth the commitment all school year, every Friday?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting