Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 08:35 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,771,904 times

Advertisements

I posted this in the regional thread but got no answers, so I thought I'd try here. I was wondering what's the average pay for a babysitter? What do you pay yours and if it is more/ less than you think is average, why? I am not talking about professional childcare/ daycare, but the teenager/ local person who does casual babysitting.

For a bit of info, we live in NW Arkansas (recently moved here from Ireland), and have 10 month old boy/ girl twins. There are older teenagers in the neighbourhood and also a couple of college students in the extended family with babysitting experience. We'd be looking for a 3-5 hour late afternoon/ evening babysitting once or twice a month, where both twins would be awake for the duration, but also occasionally for an overnight, circa 5pm to 10am, where the twins would be asleep for most of it. What do you think would be appropriate payment for these two scenarios?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 09:06 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,350,665 times
I'll be watching this thread, but I think you are going to find answers running the gamut from $3-$15.

My uncle, who is out of work right now usually watches my kids. I give him no less than $20, no matter how short the time is. For an overnight, and he comes to stay at my house, I give him $75-100. Otherwise, I usually give him about $5 per hour. If he has both kids, I give him more per hour. I don't really ever have strangers babysit my kids because I just don't need to with my family/uncle around. If it was a non relative/local teen, and I really thought she was quality, I'd probably pay what she asked, but not more than say $8 per hour.

Before, when I was working and money was tight, my SIL babysat my son for $2.70 an hour, about 24 hrs per week. I didn't make that much myself and frankly, I brought all his food to her, as well as a bunch of toys because she didn't have that many. She was already home watching her own daughter and didn't have a car so wasn't going anywhere. I didn't really feel she was doing anything too constructive w/him either. Not to mention the fact that he was there for 7 hrs per day and his nap was over two hours long.....Now I would pay more but that is primarily because we have more money to spend on that sort of thing. Before we were broke.

Teenagers want a good chunk of change. And who can blame them? They are giving up their whole night and really, can be working for 6, 7 or $8 an hour, so why would they want to sit at someone else's house all night for $20?

A lot of kids now have a rate chart. Have you asked any of the babysitters?

And if you've asked for recommendations from anyone, have you asked how much they pay?

If money is not an object, I'd get the best, most responsible teenager you can find and pay her well. You have two small children and you need someone who will really be paying attention.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:10 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Typically, 8 bucks an hour. A little more if you have 3+ kids.

However, above all things, make sure you pay enough that the babysitter will want to come back.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:11 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,350,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Typically, 8 bucks an hour. A little more if you have 3+ kids.

However, above all things, make sure you pay enough that the babysitter will want to come back.
lol! a little more too if the kids are total brats!

Then you better be giving the sitter a gift on the way out the door!!!

Old 12-01-2008, 09:50 AM

620 posts, read 1,951,362 times
We have "built in" babysitters, but we pay them WELL! My older boys watch our two year old occasionally and we pay them about 20.00 a week. I always said when we had another one that I didn't want them to resent the baby so we pay them. They know it is a JOB.

You have to pay what you feel they are worth so they do come back again. My middle son gets paid 20.00 for a couple of hours at a time. The lady he babysits for thinks he is WELL worth it so she pays him well and he always says yes because the money is good.

It sounds like you are thinking that the twins will be sleeping during the overnight job and the pay should be less. I think you should be paying MORE when it is overnight. Someone is giving up their entire evening so they can babysit.

I would ask the teenager/person what their going rates were and go from there. You can negotiate with them.

Also, if it is the first time they have ever watched your kids I WOULD have them come over for a bit WHILE you are there and see them interact with the twins. I would "feel" them out. Pay them a little and just see how they do. If your feeling is good, then go from there.

You could have a mini interview. Step out of the room some and peak in. You have to feel totally comfortable or you will not enjoy the time away from them.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:14 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
We usually paid $10 - 15 for our five kids.

Now our daughters are 17 they get as little as $5/hour for both of them or for one of them. They do nto charge more when the both go. Some families pay them as much as $20/hour. They usually get significant tips.

Surprisingly they select the jobs with the nicest kids and parents rather than simply selecting by who pays the most. They do not work for families that expect them to do laundry or dishes or wash the car while babysitting (they do not mind making dinner) Sometimes they will do these things on their own, but if it is expected, they will not be back. They will sing to the kids however : )

Whether they accept a lower paying job often depends on whether they will have time to do homework or watch movies while they are there. If the kids are sleeping, it is not really work at all, so they do not expect much money.

They generally do not go back if the parents return home significantly late or if they are obviously wasted (makes them uncomfortable). Becuase of their grades, experience (one has CPR certification), and reputation they get more requests than they can or want to handle so they get to be picky.

It is not all about money.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:50 PM

107 posts, read 430,044 times
I'm in New York. Usually my aunt or grandmother will watch my kids and I give them $20 no matter the number of hours. I only do it when I'm working so it's always worth it.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:17 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,058,817 times
Usually $8-$10 an hour for two kids.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:02 AM

2,856 posts, read 10,435,073 times
Its around $10 an hour here, maybe more per additional child.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:25 AM

959 posts, read 1,824,585 times
We pay $10-$12 an hour for one child.

Kristine
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting