Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2023, 10:49 AM

528 posts, read 711,833 times

Advertisements

I've taught myself a lot of talents ( sports, music, arts etc ) over the years. But my son has minimal to no interest when I try and teach him these things. I always give him a choice, like let's do drums, chess or computers. But he always prefers to watch YouTube videos. Occasionally he will do soccer and basketball with me. I do my best to make it fun and not get upset when me makes mistakes. Whenever I try and teach him a skill he says I am forcing him. Not sure if I just need to accept that he is not into learning new things?

I figure he gets his personality from his Mom who is the opposite of me. Much more go with the flow, loosey goosey and people oriented than me. I am highly disciplined and obsessive about learning.

Old 06-25-2023, 11:01 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,028,825 times
What is he watching YouTube videos about? That may give you a clue as to his interests, that or the Wi-Fi needs disconnecting.

I would also suggest he join a sports team, take some sort of musical instrument lessons, join a group like Scouts or Cadets, or attend a camp for a particular activity, and you not be his teacher for any of it.

Old 06-25-2023, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katnan View Post
What is he watching YouTube videos about? That may give you a clue as to his interests, that or the Wi-Fi needs disconnecting.

I would also suggest he join a sports team, take some sort of musical instrument lessons, join a group like Scouts or Cadets, or attend a camp for a particular activity, and you not be his teacher for any of it.
Most recently it was Pokemon videos, specifically a guy called PokeRev on YouTube. But seems he has lost interest in that. Now he's watching some channel called "Ninja Kids".

He's already part of a soccer team and does taekwondo.

I guess I struggle with why I should not be his teacher for other stuff?

Old 06-25-2023, 11:14 AM

22,587 posts, read 47,649,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koctail View Post
Not sure if I just need to accept that he is not into learning new things?
He is more than likely into learning new things.... HIS things.
You are forcing what you like onto him.

What are the YouTube videos about?
They can give insight as to what interests him, as mentioned above.
--or--
If they are fluff, you need to get him unplugged and into the real world.

Old 06-25-2023, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
He is more than likely into learning new things.... HIS things.
You are forcing what you like onto him.

What are the YouTube videos about?
They can give insight as to what interests him, as mentioned above.
--or--
If they are fluff, you need to get him unplugged and into the real world.
If he's in charge then he would spend all day watching videos. So some "forcing" is necessary to learn stuff like reading, writing, math etc..

In my opinion, the videos are fluff.

Old 06-25-2023, 11:22 AM

Quote:
If he's in charge then he would spend all day watching videos.
But you are the parent, you can limit the amount of time he spends online every day.

Old 06-25-2023, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
But you are the parent, you can limit the amount of time he spends online every day.
I try my best but the challenge is how to fill the empty time. He struggles to entertain himself with his toys and refuses to do any learning ( school or skills ) from me.. So like caught between a rock and a hard place..

Old 06-25-2023, 11:34 AM

11,795 posts, read 12,028,825 times
Quote:
Most recently it was Pokemon videos, specifically a guy called PokeRev on YouTube. But seems he has lost interest in that. Now he's watching some channel called "Ninja Kids".

He's already part of a soccer team and does taekwondo.

I guess I struggle with why I should not be his teacher for other stuff?

Why do you feel you need to be his teacher for everything?

Old 06-25-2023, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katnan View Post
Why do you feel you need to be his teacher for everything?
So I am not allowed to teach him anything? Right now he is not learning anything from me. Sounds like I need to put him in camps or get him tutor/coaches to teach him anything I could teach him?

Old 06-25-2023, 11:46 AM

Quote:
So I am not allowed to teach him anything? Right now he is not learning anything from me
That doesn't answer the question asked of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting