Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2023, 09:00 AM

7,364 posts, read 4,146,180 times

Advertisements

OP, your son is interests are the same as his friends. All the kids time spent on YouTube! It's what they talk about at school. If you want him to have friends, then spending time online isn't a waste.

Old 06-27-2023, 11:30 AM

6,460 posts, read 7,801,762 times
Sounds like a pretty normal kid.

You're a parent...you know nothing. Whatever you do know is stupid and/or useless.

Wait until he's a teen. Lol.

Don't give up but also, don't be offended.

Old 06-27-2023, 01:08 PM

48,534 posts, read 34,882,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-fused View Post
Sounds like a pretty normal kid.

You're a parent...you know nothing. Whatever you do know is stupid and/or useless.

Wait until he's a teen. Lol.

Don't give up but also, don't be offended.
Usually for a kid that age, Dad knows everything and is adored. Teens not so much.

It's up to the Dad to learn how to relate to his son.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-27-2023, 01:39 PM

4,042 posts, read 2,713,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
It's not about what the OP wants to do, it's about what the son wants to do.

Kids learn best when they are doing something they enjoy.
This is what I was thinking... why not let the son learn about things that HE enjoys? As he gets older, his interests may change anyway.

Old 06-27-2023, 01:51 PM

4,272 posts, read 6,301,514 times
When my kids were little we signed them up for just about everything imaginable - soccer, gynmastics, piano, t-ball (just to name four). In the end, it wasn't until they were 10-11 that they honed in on what they liked.

For my daughter, she liked art, so we encouraged her in that. She got really into it until high school ended, and then pretty much stopped.

For my son, he wanted to do Tae Kwon Do. I told him it was a three year commitment to get to black belt and that he wouldn't be allowed to quit. Three years later, he achieved his goal and then promptly quit.

The kid is 7. Introduce him to things, but if he shows no interest, don't force him to do it. Who knows - with all the videos he's watching, maybe he'll want to learn coding or do something with computers? But it's up to him to figure it out.

And my kids never wanted me to be the one teaching them how to do things.

Old 06-27-2023, 05:15 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,286,964 times
disconnect the wi-fi . Totally useless.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 06-27-2023, 05:21 PM

3,495 posts, read 1,752,206 times
You're teaching your son what a good father does, but he won't realize it until he's older

Old 06-27-2023, 05:26 PM

10,311 posts, read 6,856,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koctail View Post
I've taught myself a lot of talents ( sports, music, arts etc ) over the years. But my son has minimal to no interest when I try and teach him these things. I always give him a choice, like let's do drums, chess or computers. But he always prefers to watch YouTube videos. Occasionally he will do soccer and basketball with me. I do my best to make it fun and not get upset when me makes mistakes. Whenever I try and teach him a skill he says I am forcing him. Not sure if I just need to accept that he is not into learning new things?

I figure he gets his personality from his Mom who is the opposite of me. Much more go with the flow, loosey goosey and people oriented than me. I am highly disciplined and obsessive about learning.
You get upset if he doesn't perform to your expectations?

Why would you try to transfer your obsession to him? It's only going to push him away.

Old 06-27-2023, 05:27 PM

524 posts, read 247,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koctail View Post
I've taught myself a lot of talents ( sports, music, arts etc ) over the years. But my son has minimal to no interest when I try and teach him these things. I always give him a choice, like let's do drums, chess or computers. But he always prefers to watch YouTube videos. Occasionally he will do soccer and basketball with me. I do my best to make it fun and not get upset when me makes mistakes. Whenever I try and teach him a skill he says I am forcing him. Not sure if I just need to accept that he is not into learning new things?

I figure he gets his personality from his Mom who is the opposite of me. Much more go with the flow, loosey goosey and people oriented than me. I am highly disciplined and obsessive about learning.
My husband tried a lot of that when our kids were at that age, but guess what their fondest memories of time with their dad: ordinary moments like going for bike rides, chasing each other at the park, playing with dolls together, and weekly trips to the library. You know, things that interest a school-age child. This is a golden age that you don’t get back where they are happiest when they are just spending time with you. Not everything needs to be structured and intentional at this age, especially for a kid who likes to go with the flow.

Old 06-27-2023, 06:25 PM

61,745 posts, read 87,194,708 times
I don't blame the kid. At that age very few have real interest in anything particular.
In fact many adults have no interest in anything, aren't living out their calling or bringing out their fullest potential.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting