Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 03:23 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,238,944 times

Advertisements

I just got dressed and the thought came to mind about clothing and I was
What are your standards?

Can they wear skirts? - The boys don't. The girls only wear skirts.
Can they wear tank tops? - Yes
Can they wear spaghetti strap shirts? No.
How long do shorts have to be? Short is fine
What are your jean standards? On boys, not so low as underwear shows.
What are your bathing suit standards? One piece.

Basically what clothing rules and standards do you have? What are your alloweds and not alloweds?

In Australia, flip flops are called thongs. Figure. All our kids have them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 06:04 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,074,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twins4lynn View Post
I don't have any clothing rules for my daughter, who turns 16 in a few months, and haven't needed any.
Same here. We've never had to impose clothing rules.

I can post what standards the kids use for themselves...it's probably more conservative than what we would allow if we had rules.

Can they wear skirts? DD- yes
Can they wear tank tops? DD- yes, at home
Can they wear spaghetti strap shirts? DD does not.
How long do shorts have to be? DD prefers long shorts (well below her fingertips) or capri's. DS wears typical men's shorts.
What are your jean standards? DS does not wear skinny jeans but DD does...however, she is petite and skinny jeans are not skinny or tight on her. She does not wear low cut. She will wear leggings under a tunic length top or dress but not in place of pants.
What are your bathing suit standards? DD will wear a 2 peice with a tank top or swim-t on top or a one piece. She does not wear bikini tops.

Neither of the kids will wear clothes that look worn, shabby or have holes in them. DD will sometime layer a tank top under another shirt but she doesn't wear just a tank top. She doesn't show her bra straps or show a bra through her shirts. If it is visible she adds a layer. DD does not wear obvious advertising of any sort. No words on her backside, no low cut tops.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:08 PM

6,190 posts, read 7,985,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post
I just got dressed and the thought came to mind about clothing and I was
What are your standards?

Can they wear skirts? - The boys don't. The girls only wear skirts.
Can they wear tank tops? - Yes
Can they wear spaghetti strap shirts? No.
How long do shorts have to be? Short is fine
What are your jean standards? On boys, not so low as underwear shows.
What are your bathing suit standards? One piece.

Basically what clothing rules and standards do you have? What are your alloweds and not alloweds?

Why can't the girls wear pants?

To me, skirts are easy to see up, skirts make for some easy access, skirts in the winter = cold legs and miserableness even with tights....
Jeans cover more etc...

Whats the opposition to pants for females Aidxen?

Old 08-25-2010, 06:50 PM

2,966 posts, read 3,924,041 times
Can they wear skirts? Yes. If it's a very short mini-skirt, they are to wear leggings under it. We don't have a specific rule, so I make the call at my own discretion.
Can they wear tank tops? Yes. The only difference I see between a t-shirt and a tank top is that the shoulders are showing. I'm fine with that, but I understand people who are not.
Can they wear spaghetti strap shirts? My girls don't really have an interest in wearing spaghetti strap shirts actually. They do wear them under v-necks or tank tops as layering though.
How long do shorts have to be? Again, there's not a specific rule I have in place (such as the fingertip one) so I decide at my discretion. Usually I draw the line if their butt is hanging out or if they're really tight as well as very short.
What are your jean standards? Anything is fine, as long as the crack isn't showing.
What are your bathing suit standards? ^ add cleavage to that.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:14 AM

4,280 posts, read 6,096,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtqueen View Post
Why can't the girls wear pants?

To me, skirts are easy to see up, skirts make for some easy access, skirts in the winter = cold legs and miserableness even with tights....
Jeans cover more etc...

Whats the opposition to pants for females Aidxen?
First of all, he lives in Australia. Winter probably isn't the same as in Colorado. Second, I lived in northern Illinois one winter and wore skirts with pants under them. You couldn't see the pants at all. It was when I was discerning if God was calling me to wear only skirts, as is the case with some very conservative Christians. I was much warmer with that outfit then with just pants. It was -25 windchill a few days. I would go play out in the snow at midnight (not when it was -25) and not be cold. Skirts are not easy to see up or provide easy access if you wear skirts of proper length and made from proper material.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:18 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,985,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
First of all, he lives in Australia. Winter probably isn't the same as in Colorado. Second, I lived in northern Illinois one winter and wore skirts with pants under them. You couldn't see the pants at all. It was when I was discerning if God was calling me to wear only skirts, as is the case with some very conservative Christians. I was much warmer with that outfit then with just pants. It was -25 windchill a few days. I would go play out in the snow at midnight (not when it was -25) and not be cold. Skirts are not easy to see up or provide easy access if you wear skirts of proper length and made from proper material.

I rack my brain trying to figure out why conservative christians think that way.
Pants are pants. They are fabric sewn a different way. They have no meaning, they aren't special, they don't make you any more feminine or masculine. They are pants. Simple as that.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:51 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,916,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Depended on their age but in general...

Clothing must be clean, in good repair and fit appropriately
No visible underwear - goes for boys as well as girls
No writing across the rear end
No "cute" sayings on girls clothing (ie "princess" "spoiled rotten" etc etc)
I didn't care so much about 2 piece swimsuits for my daughter but the style of the 2 piece mattered. She was long waisted so 2 pieces were easier and more comfortable - we had to look hard to find age appropriate ones though.

Shorts and skirts were allowed but not too short (no hard and fast length measurement but I had veto power).

Tank tops/camis....depended on the age, the situation and the rest of the outfit.

No problem with leggings - depends on how they were worn I suppose? - when she was in elem. school she wore them all the time because she was so thin we couldn't find jeans small enough to fit her plus they were comfy. When she was in HS (and now I guess) leggings were mostly worn under a skirt or something else....
I'm pretty much with you.

I really hate the shorts with writing on the butt.

My daughter (8) recently had some cute (but small) stuff handed down to her and we had a fight over a skort that was cute but almost too small to fit her at all. When she bent over I felt too much skin showed above the waistband and I told her she could only wear it at home, if at all. Cue the drama. I was much more of a tomboy, and I think the fashion was preppier when I was in grade school; I just don't remember having modesty issues like this with dress when I was younger.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:56 AM

2,130 posts, read 4,522,631 times
My best friend's dad was a major conservative, and tried to control her completely during her high school years. I remember her telling me that he would make her purchase clothing that was much too big for her (when she would normally wear a small shirt, he would make her buy a large). Anything to hide the fact that she had a figure.

I was raised by very liberal parents, and didn't have any set rules. However I've always been self-conscious so getting me to show much of anything would have been difficult!

Old 08-26-2010, 11:32 AM

812 posts, read 1,911,197 times
at 2 and 4 I still get to pick out their clothes. BUT I am very opposed to the princess, juicy and stuff on the shirts/butts. My DD is already quite opinionated at 2 but at least I can control which clothes come into the home to start!

I don't mind thin straps but with pale red heads we try to keep covered up more. I like to keep belly's covered, rear covered, not too tight. I do like the leggings with baggy/empire tops. She is really short so hard to find pants that fit. Capris are almost to her ankles!

My son doesn't seem to care. As long as the sayings aren't crude I haven't had any problems with his clothing options.

Old 08-26-2010, 11:33 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,311,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aidxen View Post

We used to call them thongs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting