Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2007, 12:17 PM

1,439 posts, read 3,885,197 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I am a stay at home mom and I have a 15 month old. When I go places (gym, church, etc.) that offers childcare 50% of the time the workers come to get me because my little one won't calm down. I don't sneak out, say goodbye, and I will be back soon. Do you guys have any suggestions? I have her enrolled for Mother's Day out and I am hoping that will help. I hate to see her so upset and I know it stresses out the nursery workers. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 01:19 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,412,329 times
My son was like that for a few months. I think itw as just a stage, because all of a sudden he was almost pushing us out the door.
Have you tried playing with him in the day care for a while before you leave? TO show him its a cool place and hell have lots of fun. He may no notice you leave if hes having fun before you go.

Old 06-28-2007, 01:51 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,470,206 times
Maybe you need to find a place that won't bring him back to you. He's figured out if he loses his mind enough, he gets you back. You want to get him over this before kindergarten starts. I've seen kids being carried into kindergarten screaming day after day because they never learned to separate at a younger age.

Old 06-28-2007, 02:01 PM

I know that's what I worry about. Of all things, I was in the school system before having her and now here I am being "that" parent. Church is better about not bringing her. I guess I just get frustrated. I don't mind her being unhappy for a little while, but I don't want the teachers to get annoyed either. Thanks for both of your advice!

Old 06-28-2007, 02:21 PM

Leave her with friends who will 'tolerate' the screaming for a while. Theyll have to entertain her to show her that its not all bad. If you were my neighbor id gladly have her over to screa with my boys to get her used to it hehe

Old 06-28-2007, 02:30 PM

BrianH you are awesome. I know a friend that will let her scream. I just hate doing that to my friend...but I am thinking I need to do something!

Old 06-28-2007, 03:39 PM

Thats what friends are for.

Old 06-28-2007, 03:45 PM

550 posts, read 2,826,009 times
That is definitely a stage. Like the others said, don't let the care givers give in! If it is a good daycare they will be able to deal with her.

Make sure she brings something from home with her. A fav. blanket, snuggle, stuffed animal. Something to give her comfort. One of my sons went to daycare for a while and they had me bring a photo of me for my sweetie to carry around. I covered the picture in packing tape so it lasted a long time!

Make sure you work with your daughter at home with "bye bye, mommy will come back soon." You can play a game with her where you leave (to another room) telling her you will be back, giving her kisses and hugs saying bye to her. Go away for a few minutes and then come back. Do this over and over again. She will then learn that when you say you will be back you will. That is what the little darling is worried about.

Good luck!

Old 06-28-2007, 04:09 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,990,370 times
well,my oldest son cried every day he went to preschool,or was left with someone[including grandma] until he was 5 years old! It was the longest "phase" I ever saw! We tried every trick in the book.Hope that your's truely is just a phase.My second son barely muttered a peep when I left[except if he became upset by my older son!]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting