Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 12:21 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,680,731 times

Advertisements

Hello parents.

I would like to know what is the deal with harassing your friends and coworkers into donating money or buying stuff for your child's school. Frankly I am getting burned out on it.

I have people on FB who I am quite sure make more money than I do bothering me about this... why can't they open their wallets and pay out of their own pockets?

I pay taxes, so I feel I am doing more than my part to help out schools. Why do parents ask me, a childless person, for my support instead of asking each other?

And the most important question: what is the most polite way I can ask people to stop bugging me with this? Right now I just ignore them... just received the 3rd request to order some fricking magazines to help raise funds for an exclusive private school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 12:26 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,920,830 times
Just don't donate if you don't want to donate. Why it it such a big deal?

Old 09-16-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
Just don't donate if you don't want to donate. Why it it such a big deal?
Why ask me 3 times?

If I didn't donate the 1st request, and I didn't donate the 2nd request, I feel it is harassment to ask me a 3rd time.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:38 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,014,275 times
Same Person ask you three times thats a bit much,
At work here you are allow to put up the sigh-up/ad for whatever it is on your cube wall. But its agants policy to go around asking. If someone wants to buy/donate/... they can but we don't go cube to cube selling it.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:44 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
Repeat after me: "I am tremendously sorry, but because of the terrible state of the economy we are unable to help you at this time."

Unless they are selling Girl Scout cookies. Then it's, "I'll take six boxes of thin mints, please."

Old 09-16-2010, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Same Person ask you three times thats a bit much,
At work here you are allow to put up the sigh-up/ad for whatever it is on your cube wall. But its agants policy to go around asking. If someone wants to buy/donate/... they can but we don't go cube to cube selling it.
I wouldn't have a problem with that. Put it up where it can be seen, and leave it at that.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:00 PM

466 posts, read 816,123 times
Someone asking you more than once is annoying. Here at work, we don't have an official policy, but most people just put their forms on a table in the lunchroom and leave it at that. Occasionally we might get an office email that say explains what's going on, but those are few and far between.

And for what it's worth, many parents hate fundraisers. They would just assume give money, but not every family can afford that. Plus many schools make fundraisers into contests for the kids. Top-selling class gets a pizza party or whatever.

Frankly, I hated fundraisers when I was in school and I'm dreading when my son starts school. I do think Girl Scout cookies are by far the easiest thing in the world to sell.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:03 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
I agree, that's annoying. My husband isn't allowed to bring that stuff to work, so my kids never do very well in the fundraising dept. At my old office people left a box of candy and a money envelope in the hall or posted a cookie order form on the wall. No pressure, but it was there if you wanted to buy. I thought that was fine.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:07 PM

613 posts, read 992,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Hello parents.

I would like to know what is the deal with harassing your friends and coworkers into donating money or buying stuff for your child's school. Frankly I am getting burned out on it.

I have people on FB who I am quite sure make more money than I do bothering me about this... why can't they open their wallets and pay out of their own pockets?

I pay taxes, so I feel I am doing more than my part to help out schools. Why do parents ask me, a childless person, for my support instead of asking each other?

And the most important question: what is the most polite way I can ask people to stop bugging me with this? Right now I just ignore them... just received the 3rd request to order some fricking magazines to help raise funds for an exclusive private school.
Well, I'm actually on the other end of things. In fact we just got our fund raising packet from the school. I HATE it. I don't like to put people on the spot asking them to buy things. It makes me extremely uncomfortable. So, I don't do it! Instead, I usually purchase one or two of the cheapest items available.

My daughter's swim team has MANDATORY fund raising, so if I don't sell anything, I have to reach into my own pocket, which I have done for the past few years. However, with the economy hitting my family pretty hard, I think I might have to actually try to sell things this time around. YUCK!!!

Old 09-16-2010, 01:18 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,014,275 times
My Son's Rec Soccer team added $20 to cost of registration, If you sold (I Think $200+) of the fund raiser stuff you got $20 Credit on the next season fee or $20 credit for Stuff from the soccer store (T-Shirts, shorts, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting