Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 01:19 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,063,398 times

Advertisements

There is often a lot of pressure put on the kids (and parents) to meet classroom or grade goals for fund raising. The winning class gets a pizza party or catered lunch or special privileged for the year (locker pass, or first to go to the buses, for example).

We opted not to participate in the fund raisers but some people at DH's work will send out an e-mail letting people know what's available and to come by their office if you want to donate/purchase. One e-mail, that's it. I think that is appropriate.

We have one girl scout on the street and we all really appreciate her.
Other than that, we don't get any solicitations but I'd politely decline. If you wanted to make a donation instead of buying something that would work too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Repeat after me: "I am tremendously sorry, but because of the terrible state of the economy we are unable to help you at this time."

Unless they are selling Girl Scout cookies. Then it's, "I'll take six boxes of thin mints, please."
Hey, don't discriminate against the every so yummy Samoa's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 01:26 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,123,759 times
Fundraiser packet came home from the school last week. If you sell 5 or more items you get to go to the BMX Stunt Show being held at the school. If you don't, you cannot go and surely will be made fun of by the other kids that did go (probably most of them).

We just moved to this state and do not know anybody here so that makes it challenging. Co-Workers weren't too happy with me asking them to buy wrapping paper, magazines or cheap jewelry. Probably last time I'll ask, made 2 sales from that though. lol

Good thing is people can also buy off the internet so we have emailed relatives back home and have received some support. I think its pretty crummy that kids that do not sell a set amoutn of items will most likely be harassed by other kids.

Oh well. On the other hand, I guess it may make those kids tougher. :S

Old 09-16-2010, 01:30 PM

466 posts, read 815,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
I think its pretty crummy that kids that do not sell a set amoutn of items will most likely be harassed by other kids.
I completely agree, specially since so much of this stuff is crappy and overpriced. $15 for tubs of cookie dough. Way too much for holiday gift wrap and cards. Apparently Yankee Candle is a popular one that doesn't do too bad, but most people just don't need any of this stuff, especially when you can pick up a four-pack of gift wrap at Target for $5.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:36 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
We mostly choose to opt out of fundraising. I used to buy stuff from neighbor kids who were doing X, Y or Z. Silly me thought that at the least, when the tables were turned, my son could go to those folks and get some reciprocity....apparently not. Typically however, I'll contact whomever it is that is organizing it and ask how much the club will actually make from the mandatory minimum sales requirement and will write a check for at least that amount. I explain that whatever activity my kids are participating in is a choice my family makes and I don't feel that it is my neighbors or coworkers responsibility to foot the bill for that choice.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:36 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,675,296 times
Yes I suppose that is a part of the problem, it's all junk that is being sold. Part of the reason is that the companies that sell the fundraising merchandise wants to make a very high margin on every item sold, and they are happier to provide inferior products and make more, over selling better products and making less.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:37 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
With the extremely high taxes in my community to supposedly contribute to our school system being the best in the state, I refuse to participate in fundraising. I explain to our kids it is not in our budget, we are not going to contribute to excess consumerism, etc.

Any school which would not allow participation in a certain event unless certain amount of fundraising is done would get an earfull from me.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:47 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
And the most important question: what is the most polite way I can ask people to stop bugging me with this? Right now I just ignore them... just received the 3rd request to order some fricking magazines to help raise funds for an exclusive private school.
I would just tell them you either do not have money to spare. Or that you don't like or need whatever they are selling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
We mostly choose to opt out of fundraising. I used to buy stuff from neighbor kids who were doing X, Y or Z. Silly me thought that at the least, when the tables were turned, my son could go to those folks and get some reciprocity....apparently not. Typically however, I'll contact whomever it is that is organizing it and ask how much the club will actually make from the mandatory minimum sales requirement and will write a check for at least that amount. I explain that whatever activity my kids are participating in is a choice my family makes and I don't feel that it is my neighbors or coworkers responsibility to foot the bill for that choice.
Great idea. I am going today to learn more about Girl Scouts and I was dreading the whole selling thing. I have never been a good sales person and my dd because of her disability will not be able to sell anything.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:47 PM

This is a pretty crappy system, that so many of you parents feel forced into this. Is there an alternative for the schools?

Old 09-16-2010, 01:48 PM

526 posts, read 1,003,281 times
I pick and choose which fundraisers my children participate in. Usually we stick with GS cookies and plant sales and book fairs for school. I do know that many of these organized sales from outside companies offer either a prize or drawing entry to the kids just for sending out a fundraiser request e-mail to x amount of people. The one my son just brought home would enter him in a drawing for an I-pad if he sent an e-mail to 10 people. That's probably the reason for the multiple e-mails you have been receiving.

I also have to say that companies that allow fundraiser solicitation are few and far between these days. Even when it is allowed I think it is a bad idea to ask co-workers for money.

Old 09-16-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
I would just tell them you either do not have money to spare. Or that you don't like or need whatever they are selling.

Great idea. I am going today to learn more about Girl Scouts and I was dreading the whole selling thing. I have never been a good sales person and my dd because of her disability will not be able to sell anything.
Since I am complaining, I should say that I view Girl Scout cookies differently. A lot of people out there are happy about cookie season and look forward to it... I don't know of anyone who looks forward to "junk jewelry season" or "stale peanut brittle" season. Also, the Scouts don't get any tax money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting