Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you kiss your kids on the lips?
Yes 32 59.26%
No 22 40.74%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 09:57 PM

4,471 posts, read 9,838,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
I'll also say that even though I see no problem with this, I did not grow up that way. In fact, I never remember being kissed by anyone in my family. We hug in my family.
Same here and we always did cheeks. However my grandma, who isn't really with it anymore, insists on kissing everyone on the mouth and it makes everyone kind of uncomfortable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2010, 05:37 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,283,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
Not to bring this thread down, but actually it's the adults' germs that are the problem. You can transfer a very nasty bacteria to an infant's mouth called Streptococcus mutans or S. Mutans - which is the main cause of ECC or Early Childhood Caries, formerly known as baby bottle rot. It's a really horrible infectious disease that causes rampant tooth decay in young children, and they believe it's transmitted to a child by it's primary care giver, usually the mother.

So if your infant has any teeth, be very careful about transferring your saliva to his/her mouth, until they are about 30 months old. That includes licking spoons, putting the paci in your mouth, that kind of thing.

I'm not trying to be alarmist, but it's very common, and often undetectable until the damage is done.

Ok sorry, PSA over.
Why would parents put the paci in their mouth? Licking the babies spoon, why would parents do that?

Old 10-18-2010, 05:51 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,339,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Why would parents put the paci in their mouth? Licking the babies spoon, why would parents do that?
I agree. It's gross. Some paretn lick the spoon to test the temperature of the food. I've always used my clean finger to do that.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:51 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times
Oh well. I'm gross. LOL I taste the kids food beforehand. With the same fork or spoon they use even!

Funny thing is, we hardly ever get sick. We have a cold once a year usually, either in the winter or early spring.

People are wayyyy too worried about germs.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:31 AM

13,429 posts, read 9,962,678 times
Quote:
I don't know, you'd have to ask them.

Old 10-18-2010, 08:25 AM

2,080 posts, read 4,847,028 times
Quote:
I have seen parents pick up a dropped paci and put it in their own mouths thinking they are cleaning it before popping it back in baby's mouth...kinda like the 3 second rule....and parents would put the baby spoon in their mouths if they are trying to get a fussy eater to eat their carrots, veggies or whatever..."see mommy eat it...yum, yum, now Johnny eat it"....

Old 10-18-2010, 08:58 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renovating View Post
I have seen parents pick up a dropped paci and put it in their own mouths thinking they are cleaning it before popping it back in baby's mouth...kinda like the 3 second rule....and parents would put the baby spoon in their mouths if they are trying to get a fussy eater to eat their carrots, veggies or whatever..."see mommy eat it...yum, yum, now Johnny eat it"....
Ewwwwww gross!

Old 10-18-2010, 09:04 AM

707 posts, read 1,467,463 times
Quote:

ewww. I never used a paci for my first child and wont for this one.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:50 AM

18,478 posts, read 31,656,752 times
No, never kiss the kids on the lips and neither did my parents....Thank God, I think that is disgusting.... and un-necessary blech.....

I always hated as a kid having to kiss all the Aunts hello, I was always the one child to wipe it off....and till this day, I really still hate kissing.... blech!!!

I never made my sons kiss anyone they didn't want to, because I know how much I did not like it, but as a child you have a parent that says, Ok, now go give Auntie Lady a kiss.....
Blech !!! I still hate it..................

and I did have a relative that did tell me that my sons never give kisses, so I put relative in check and said, they are my sons, they don't have to kiss to aknowledge someone, a simple hello does the trick, and a men's handshake also works.....

I like the way Chinese do it, they just bow to one another, and not have to touch anyone......

Old 10-18-2010, 10:34 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,283,111 times
Quote:

eww that's just gross, at least if I kiss my child on the lips I am not slobbering on them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting