Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2010, 05:04 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,618,997 times

Advertisements

NORFOLK, Va., Oct. 17 (UPI) -- A healthy baby born in Norfolk, Va., in May from an embryo cryopreserved for 19 years is raising questions about leftover life forms, bioethicists say.

The embryo, donated by an anonymous patient at the Jones Institute for Reproductive Medicine after she gave birth to a son via in vitro fertilization, was implanted into a 42-year-old recipient 19 years later who gave birth to that May baby boy, The (Norfolk) Virginian-Pilot reported Sunday.

Baby born from embryo frozen 19 years - UPI.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 06:48 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,385,802 times
This is interesting.

My sister has three frozen embryos left over from an invitro procedure 10 years ago that resulted in twins. She pays a few hundred dollars a year to keep them frozen, but she's on the verge of divorce, is 40 years old, and it's very unlikely she'll ever have them implanted.
I think donation is something she would consider as her pro-life views would make her uncomfortable with having the embryos destroyed.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:46 AM

11 posts, read 75,243 times
adoptanembryo.com

Old 10-21-2010, 10:55 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,711,708 times
That raises all sorts of bio-ethics questions. I'm not sure how I feel about this story in particular other than to be amazed at what we can do. If faced with the choice of destruction or donation, I think I would donate and would be fine with them being used for stem cell research. To me that is sort of equivalent to donating organs after someone dies. One life ending can grant life or improve the lives of many.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:00 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,687,726 times
It doesn't raise any ethical questions at all. An embryo is an embryo, whether or not it's frozen. It's not a human being, and it's even a question of whether or not it's "living" if it's frozen. Legally, they are possessions. I think it's great for unused embryos to be donated to stem cell research, or other medical research.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:14 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,711,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
It doesn't raise any ethical questions at all. An embryo is an embryo, whether or not it's frozen. It's not a human being, and it's even a question of whether or not it's "living" if it's frozen. Legally, they are possessions. I think it's great for unused embryos to be donated to stem cell research, or other medical research.
While I tend to agree with you, there are vastly different opinions regarding whether or not embryo's created via invitro should be considered "living" or not. This really strikes at the heart of the abortion debate, which is why I said it is an ethical issue. 50% are going to feel the way we do and the other 50% are going to see it as destroying life.

I can see this whole thread denegrating into an abortion debate real quick.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:07 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,114,938 times
I go for stem cell research or let another couple have them.

Old 10-22-2010, 05:50 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,687,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
While I tend to agree with you, there are vastly different opinions regarding whether or not embryo's created via invitro should be considered "living" or not. This really strikes at the heart of the abortion debate, which is why I said it is an ethical issue. 50% are going to feel the way we do and the other 50% are going to see it as destroying life.

I can see this whole thread denegrating into an abortion debate real quick.
Well, let's hope it doesn't but due to its very nature there are folks who may try to take it there. It just doesn't strike me personally as an ethical issue. The staggering majority of leftovers from in vitro processes will never be utilized. I believe rather than simply throwing them away as medical waste, that they have a use in research and future cures for humans with illnesses or disabilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting