Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 11:45 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,980,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
It is more than being afraid. It's full blown panic attacks that make me an unsafe driver.

That's some pretty extreme anxiety, sorry to hear that

Still, I would encourage you to get some help for that - it really can be so wonderful to be free of anxiety. And I know panic attacks are so awful.

I hope you will consider it for your kids sakes as well (kids can pick up on anxiety and develop their own because of it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 11:46 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,407,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
That's some pretty extreme anxiety, sorry to hear that

Still, I would encourage you to get some help for that - it really can be so wonderful to be free of anxiety. And I know panic attacks are so awful.

I hope you will consider it for your kids sakes as well (kids can pick up on anxiety and develop their own because of it).
Does it make you feel good to kick people in their weakest spots? Just curious.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Does it make you feel good to kick people in their weakest spots? Just curious.

Wow, I was trying to be supportive and helpful.

Are you always so defensive?

Old 10-28-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Wow, I was trying to be supportive and helpful.

Are you always so defensive?
Insinuating that my kids are going to have anxiety issues because of this one thing of mine is, IMO, unsupportive.

If that's wrong, so be it.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Insinuating that my kids are going to have anxiety issues because of this one thing of mine is, IMO, unsupportive.

If that's wrong, so be it.
I wasn't insinuating anything - I was sharing info that you need to hear if you aren't unaware of it. YOUR anxieties can be passed on to your kids - that's a fact.

I know first hand how debilitating and handicapping anxiety can be when it is not dealt with - I used to suffer from PTSD. I can assure you I was only being sympathetic and helpful.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:58 AM

Quote:
I wasn't insinuating anything - I was sharing info that you need to hear if you aren't unaware of it. YOUR anxieties can be passed on to your kids - that's a fact.

I know first hand how debilitating and handicapping anxiety can be when it is not dealt with - I used to suffer from PTSD. I can assure you I was only being sympathetic and helpful.

Well, until and unless I get the anxiety under control, I will not be driving. Thank you for your support.

Old 10-28-2010, 12:34 PM

1,173 posts, read 4,767,128 times
I feel like sometimes when we are in the thick of things it's hard to see the simple solutions staring back at us. Just take a step back and look at the situation:

Younger child does not have transport to school for the day, you cannot provide the transport, public transport is time prohibative and cab is cost prohibative. Older child's school is within a walkable distance for all three of you. Younger child has never been to a halloween parade and will not know what they are missing PLUS younger kids don't really talk about past events (in the sense that they don't really talk about remember what we did last week? What did you do this weekend? etc) your older son DOES know what he's missing if he doesn't go and next monday the kids will probably still be talking about it. Older kid will be bored haning out at the "baby" parade, younger child will be star struck at the "big kid" parade.

It's pretty obvious you should go to the older kids parade and bring the little one along.

Leave at party time and take the little one to do something extra special alone with mom (halloween craft and/or cook halloween dessert?) so the little one doesn't fee like he missed out on anything

Old 10-28-2010, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icibiu View Post
I feel like sometimes when we are in the thick of things it's hard to see the simple solutions staring back at us. Just take a step back and look at the situation:

Younger child does not have transport to school for the day, you cannot provide the transport, public transport is time prohibative and cab is cost prohibative. Older child's school is within a walkable distance for all three of you. Younger child has never been to a halloween parade and will not know what they are missing PLUS younger kids don't really talk about past events (in the sense that they don't really talk about remember what we did last week? What did you do this weekend? etc) your older son DOES know what he's missing if he doesn't go and next monday the kids will probably still be talking about it. Older kid will be bored haning out at the "baby" parade, younger child will be star struck at the "big kid" parade.

It's pretty obvious you should go to the older kids parade and bring the little one along.

Leave at party time and take the little one to do something extra special alone with mom (halloween craft and/or cook halloween dessert?) so the little one doesn't fee like he missed out on anything

LOL I agree. It does seem simple when others point it out! I am a can't see the forest for the trees type of person.

I love the extra special idea for my younger son too! Good call!

Old 10-28-2010, 01:11 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,283,519 times
Quote:
It is more than being afraid. It's full blown panic attacks that make me an unsafe driver.
Although I personally can't imagine not being able to drive, I certainly wouldn't encourage someone "unsafe" to learn to drive. I also have had panic attacks, thankfully not related to driving. If you haven't received treatment for anxiety, I encourage you to do so. It can be helpful! And, I am already seeing signs of my anxiety issues in my 7 year old, so, yes, you may pass it on to your kids. Now that I am realizing all this, I'm glad I've taken myself out of the gene pool!

Old 10-28-2010, 01:13 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,312,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
If the pre-schooler is having his/her own event, it would be a shame for s/he to miss it. Maybe the compromise is to go to the preschool event, and miss the older kid's parade this time. That's probably what I'd do.
When I was thinking about the original question I realised that we always "favored" the older child's event. I think on the theory that the younger ones would learn something from being in situations that were a couple of years ahead of them. If one of them missed a special event we made it up to them with something else. But even the "make up" usually included everyone. (Not to say they never got "special" time because they got that too.)

It was one for all, all for one in our home. A lot of things were done in a pack. Today all 3 brothers are VERY tight so, for us, it worked.

p.s. Thanks for the rep on that "other thing"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting